Diet Change and Stomach Pain

• Every three weeks into the diet, my doctor has me taking three days off of Phase 1 and essentially doing Phase 4 or "maintenance" for those three days. Then starting over again on Phase 1.

When I did this, I had a lot of pain, nausea, vomiting.

Is this a somewhat typical reaction to going off Phase 1? I supposed I could have re-introduced a food sensitivity that I have not identified yet.

I really want to downplay this to my doctor if it is somewhat common. I am back on Phase 1 today (a day early) and the pain and vomiting have gone away.

Thanks!!!
  • Why is your doctor having you go to a different phase every 3 weeks??
  • From what I have read here in the archives and elsewhere, having the types of problems you are describing are VERY common if someone goes straight off of Phase 1 and to Phase 4, or maintenance. Which is exactly why Phases 2 and 3 exist, to prevent these types of problems. Also, if you go from Phase 1 to maintenance, you are more likely to regain weight and quickly. I hope you will get some answers from folks who have a better understanding of the mechanics than I do, and who can give you a better explanation, but to me, what your doctor is doing is completely out of line with the Ideal Protein protocol. Why does he say he wants you to do it this way? If you don't get any answers here, try throwing this question out on the daily thread or the maintainers thread. The maintainers have gone through all the phases properly, and tend to have a better understanding of them all.
  • From what I understand, our bodies have enzymes to digest different foods. If we aren't using them, they "hibernate". So if we aren't using the enzymes to digest grains, for example, the body stops producing them because they are unneeded. Then if you dump a bunch of grains in, there is nothing to digest them at first until the body gets some "up and running"

I can't remember the source of this info, I'm sorry. I learned it when I was on Atkins 8 or 9 years ago & that was why we were told to reintroduce foods slowly.
  • Thanks so much! This is good information. I have some other health issues that my doctor is monitoring while I am on this diet. She says she doesn't want me ketonic for more than three weeks straight. I'll talk to her about it... And check out the other info, particularly the enzymes.