Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 175.5/175.5/140

Height: 5'4

Good Morning,
I am a newbie/oldie. I used to post on here about a year ago, the first time I went on the Ideal Protein diet. I quit posting bc I felt ignored and frankly it hurt my feelings... it looks like a whole new group of people are here now As soon as I quit talking on here I lost a lot of will power and fell off the bandwagon. I am now back on the program and ready to finish what I started and I know this helped me last year even if I was just talking to myself it seemed. ANYWAYS its good to be back!

Last edited by massconfusion84; 12-11-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #17  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGirl33 View Post
Good morning everyone! I'm feeling a little discouraged this week. I've been on IP going on 6 weeks now, and as of last Saturday, I'm down 17 lbs. I started off at 213 lbs and currently 196. The first few weeks were great. Week 1 I lost 6 lbs! Week 2, I lost 5 lbs. The last 3 weeks, I've only lost 2 lbs a week. I haven't cheated once either. I made it through Thanksgiving, and have successfully made it through numerous Birthday parties, restaurants and holidays parties without even a bite of deliciousness or a sip of alcohol. I use keytone strips every day to make sure I'm doing this right, and I always have small to moderate results.

I feel that if I had a bigger boost in weight loss (even 3 lbs a week) I would feel confident to keep going. I hate having my doubts as I see how great this program is for so many people and I love the structure the program has given me. I just expected a little more for the sacrifice and money spent. I think my biggest fear is weighing in and seeing nothing lost. I just have such a long way to go, as my goal is to lose another 40 lbs before my wedding November 2013. My coach told me not to go dress shopping for awhile b/c they can only take in the dress so much. I do need to go soon though. I guess my questions are…

Are plateaus so early in the diet normal? Will my weight loss pick up (as I'm still following the plan to a T). Do I have to switch my food up? And finally, would light cardio exercise help speed things along? Thank you in advance.
Time for a reality check.

You are not on a plateau - 2lbs a week is FANTASTIC, and a lot closer to what most people experience. Expect more for the money you spend? Remember that on Weight Watchers 2lbs a MONTH is considered good. You are already getting more than your money's worth out of the program! A plateau is a few weeks of ZERO losses. You will have higher weeks, you will have lower weeks (I just had a zero loss week, followed by over 3lbs). Just keep sticking with the plan and the weight will continue to come off.

And no, exercise will NOT speed things along, it may actually STALL your weight losses.

Oh, and toss the ketone strips - they are not really useful in keeping track of whether you are in ketosis - if you're drinking plenty of water the ketones will barely register and you don't sound like you need anything else stressing you out (if you happen to use them and nothing registers it does NOT mean you are doing something wrong.)
Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #18  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by massconfusion84 View Post
Good Morning,
I am a newbie/oldie. I used to post on here about a year ago, the first time I went on the Ideal Protein diet. I quit posting bc I felt ignored and frankly it hurt my feelings... it looks like a whole new group of people are here now As soon as I quit talking on here I lost a lot of will power and fell off the bandwagon. I am now back on the program and ready to finish what I started and I know this helped me last year even if I was just talking to myself it seemed. ANYWAYS its good to be back!
Welcome back! There are a lot of people who post on here, and not everyone comments to each posts. Don't take it personal if you don't get a lot of reply's.

The support here is fantastic!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #19  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

Quote:
Good Morning,
Welcome!!!!!!! I'm not a super frequent poster, but I come here daily for support. Good luck with your journey. We got this!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #20  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
has anyone warmed up the dark choc pudding and made it into hot choc?
Nope. But this sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try that with some mint extract! Personally, I think the puddings have a weirdo flavour, so this might be a good fix! Thanks!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 235/186/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
has anyone warmed up the dark choc pudding and made it into hot choc?
I don't see why it wouldn't work....just add more water to make it thinner.

My son and I are sick today, so we are not going to our WI. We both have head colds and feel horrible...really don't want to pass it on to the coach.

I have been super busy with Christmas stuff, but still staying 100% OP. I hope everyone has a great day!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 286/148/160

Height: 5'7"

Thank you all for your kind words and tips and good advice about the party.

It is true - too many things have been missed because of my weight - why add another one to the list!

I'll go and try to have fun.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #23  

Does anybody use pinterest for ideas? I have found some GREAT recipes and ideas!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #24  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Does anybody use pinterest for ideas? I have found some GREAT recipes and ideas!
They have great ideas on Pinterest, but I had to put myself on a Pinterest "diet" - I was spending WAAAAAYYYY too much time there! It's addictive!!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
They have great ideas on Pinterest, but I had to put myself on a Pinterest "diet" - I was spending WAAAAAYYYY too much time there! It's addictive!!
I probly spend way to much on it too! I just learned a really easy way to make cauliflower rice using a blender, and found a 0 carb BLT recipe.....yummm
Old 12-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 148/131/125

Height: 5'4"

Default IP question...

Hi, I'm fairly new to IP (just started week 8) and am brand new to this site. I have been looking through older posts and questions on here but haven't been able to find an answer to the one I have.

Since starting IP I have noticed my TOM to be much shorter in cycle length (2 weeks). I've been wondering if this is normal, I have read that doing the IP diet can have an affect on your cycle but have mostly read that it causes it to skip months altogether, not happen sooner than normal. Before making an appointment with my doctor I was hoping to hear from some other people on the plan and if they have had anything similar happen.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
I probly spend way to much on it too! I just learned a really easy way to make cauliflower rice using a blender, and found a 0 carb BLT recipe.....yummm
Welcome!! When I 1st started here, I felt I was peeking in on a special club. And at 1st, I didn't get a lot of responses from my posts. But now I am very comfortable here and enjoy it very much!! It really is a Godsend!!

And hey, you mentioned BLT w/ 0 carbs......lovin you!!

I used to be ADDICTED to Pinterest. I have about 14boards. Now I still go there, but only a couple of times a month if I am looking for something.

Benice: Twist my arm, I'll try the hot choco!! I like the puddings, but I find for real pudding consistency, you need less water than what it calls for.

Onmyway: I's just go about my business and enjoy!! I have found once I say, No Thank You, people move on. I am going to a cookie swap this w/e. Finally got invited to one and it's not the most perfect time. But to me, the strawberry wafers are indulgent so I am bringing a pack for my treat.

Off to run errands. I kept my daughter home because she had a rough night. Don't know if it was night dreams (as she calls them) or being stuffed up from a cold. She was MISERABLE. Now I wish I had sent her because I am way behind on errands.

Have a great day everyone!! Stay OP out there, it can be dangerous this time of year!!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #28  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellekb View Post
Hi, I'm fairly new to IP (just started week 8) and am brand new to this site. I have been looking through older posts and questions on here but haven't been able to find an answer to the one I have.

Since starting IP I have noticed my TOM to be much shorter in cycle length (2 weeks). I've been wondering if this is normal, I have read that doing the IP diet can have an affect on your cycle but have mostly read that it causes it to skip months altogether, not happen sooner than normal. Before making an appointment with my doctor I was hoping to hear from some other people on the plan and if they have had anything similar happen.

Thanks for the help!
It's totally normal - I actually think I hear more people having more frequent TOM visits than skipping, but either way you don't need to worry. Women store estrogen in their fat cells, and when we experience rapid fat loss, that estrogen can "flood" your system and wreak havoc on your cycles and your mood. I skipped the first month of TOM after starting IP but then had two in one month. Things do eventually even out!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 148/131/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
It's totally normal - I actually think I hear more people having more frequent TOM visits than skipping, but either way you don't need to worry. Women store estrogen in their fat cells, and when we experience rapid fat loss, that estrogen can "flood" your system and wreak havoc on your cycles and your mood. I skipped the first month of TOM after starting IP but then had two in one month. Things do eventually even out!
Thank you! I had a feeling it was to do with the fat break down but needed it confirmed by someone else so I could stop worrying
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGirl33 View Post
Good morning everyone! I'm feeling a little discouraged this week. I've been on IP going on 6 weeks now, and as of last Saturday, I'm down 17 lbs. I started off at 213 lbs and currently 196. The first few weeks were great. Week 1 I lost 6 lbs! Week 2, I lost 5 lbs. The last 3 weeks, I've only lost 2 lbs a week. I haven't cheated once either. I made it through Thanksgiving, and have successfully made it through numerous Birthday parties, restaurants and holidays parties without even a bite of deliciousness or a sip of alcohol. I use keytone strips every day to make sure I'm doing this right, and I always have small to moderate results.

I feel that if I had a bigger boost in weight loss (even 3 lbs a week) I would feel confident to keep going. I hate having my doubts as I see how great this program is for so many people and I love the structure the program has given me. I just expected a little more for the sacrifice and money spent. I think my biggest fear is weighing in and seeing nothing lost. I just have such a long way to go, as my goal is to lose another 40 lbs before my wedding November 2013. My coach told me not to go dress shopping for awhile b/c they can only take in the dress so much. I do need to go soon though. I guess my questions are…

Are plateaus so early in the diet normal? Will my weight loss pick up (as I'm still following the plan to a T). Do I have to switch my food up? And finally, would light cardio exercise help speed things along? Thank you in advance.
As Scorbett said, this is NOT a plateau. A plateau would be several weeks of zero loss. At 2/week, you are exceeding the norm. Why don't you average your weight loss over time? 17/6=2.8 lbs/week

IP is removing the 3-5 lbs/week average from all of their printed material. If your clinic is still using those claims, I'd ask them to please stay current with IP literature.

If you do the math, you are currently losing approximately 1% of your body weight per week, which is a PHENOMENAL amount. (2/196=.01)

Time to remove the words "slow" and "only" from your vocabulary when discussing your weight loss. Compare this plan to the slowness of other plans you've tried and be happy with the speed.

If you are drinking tons of water, you are flushing out the keytone bodies, rather than burning them, so they won't register on the ketostix. Toss them in the garbage! We'd rather burn fat than keytones anyway!

You might have a zero week. You might not. Even if you do, the diet still works. It IS working. Time to get your head in the game. Right now it seems to be working against you.

Your losses are to be celebrated! This plan is working and you are doing great!

Quote:
Spend a lot of time on the old posts...you'll find MANY recipes! The cauli rice is on our threads. The stickies and the first post of this daily thread will send you to recipe threads. You'll have to sort thru a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellekb View Post

Thanks for the help!
Good for you for looking thru older posts! I wish all newcomers would do that instead of starting new threads. Most questions have already been answered. As Scorbett mentioned, lots of TOM issues when starting this plan. They'll normalize after a month or two. We store estrogen in the fat we are now burning so it is released.
Closed Thread