3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Finals for college, quick question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/271279-finals-college-quick-question.html)

ms51iastate 12-09-2012 05:11 PM

Finals for college, quick question

So I just messaged my coach about this, My mom who did this diet said it wouldnt be too bad. Now there is a shot I could fall off the wagon. So here it goes, I have college finals this week and I was wondering how bad a few days off would be from the diet. I do not want to feel hungry during testing and studying late hours of the night.

Your thoughts?

lisa32989 12-09-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms51iastate (Post 4552192)
So I just messaged my coach about this, My mom who did this diet said it wouldnt be too bad. Now there is a shot I could fall off the wagon. So here it goes, I have college finals this week and I was wondering how bad a few days off would be from the diet. I do not want to feel hungry during testing and studying late hours of the night.

Your thoughts?

Use an extra packet (even two), if necessary and stay on plan since you'll be up late. Plan for lots of flavored herbal teas this week (peppermint is a great pick-me-up and is yummy to me hot or cold).
Your nosh food this week will be your favorite raw veggies (mine is celery and cukes). I'd have my restricted be a munchy-crunchy salty packet (but that's just me) b/c I can have sweet (even chocolate) w/o it being restricted.

You can do this. If you make excuses to cheat, you'll cheat. If you plan to stay on plan, after finals, you'll have succeeded on the finals AND on your diet and the feelings of accomplishment will be unmatched!

You absolutely CAN stay on plan and not starve. But give yourself permission for extra packets during the extra stress and extra waking hours.

Edit: Oh wait. ARE YOU NEW TO THE DIET??? DID SOMEBODY HAVE YOU START DURING FINALS WEEK???? I might change my mind if this is the case...

libertybelle 12-09-2012 05:18 PM

I couldn't have done finals during my first ten days on the diet and expected to get my very best grades. I think it depends on how far into it you are and how you are currently feeling. However, I wouldn't quit; someone here can tell you the best way to go into a maintenance mode. I think I would just add an extra packet, and perhaps not even pay attention to if it is restricted. Unless you hear a better plan. You have enough to think about, you don't need to be thinking about changing your diet again!

scorbett1103 12-09-2012 05:19 PM

Tough love time :)

IP is a "no cheat" diet. Meaning, if you choose to cheat, go off plan...there will be consequences - and you are the only one who can decide whether the trade off is worth it. Finals are a stressful time, yes - but food is never the best response to stress, and there are plenty of ways to stay on plan while putting in long hours - so many of us are working mothers and do exactly that!

What will happen if you go back to eating normally during finals? Well, if you do go back on plan afterward you will have to go through the Week 1 process of getting back into ketosis all over again. For me, that alone is enough to keep me from slipping. And I can't count on two hands the number of people who went off plan and had trouble getting back on without cheating after a few days. Once you've allowed yourself that window of opportunity, it's much harder to avoid walking through it again. Some can, some can't.

What is it you have in mind when you talk about cheating during finals? If it's just managing hunger while studying late, consider switching to Phase 2 for a week - instead of an IP packet at lunch you have the same meal at dinner for lunch - 2 cups veggies and 8oz lean meat. You won't be adding carbs but will be increasing the amount of "real" food you're eating. Breakfast and snack are still IP packets. Also consider reserving some of your veggies for evening study snacks.

ms51iastate 12-09-2012 05:21 PM

Well, I was thinking eating veggies like normal and just having beef and what not instead of packets. I am usually up late and get pretty hungry by 10pm. I figured maybe eat the way they want you too on maintenance for the next four days. I get pretty hungry on phase one and I just dont want the hunger to cloud the thinking.

lisa32989 12-09-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms51iastate (Post 4552203)
Well, I was thinking eating veggies like normal and just having beef and what not instead of packets. I am usually up late and get pretty hungry by 10pm. I figured maybe eat the way they want you too on maintenance for the next four days. I get pretty hungry on phase one and I just don't want the hunger to cloud the thinking.

You could have TWO meals of 8 oz protein, instead of one this week.
This is Phase 2.

You ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT BE HUNGRY during finals week

If you haven't been on the diet long enough for the hunger to go away, you probably should do this modification (and still consider an extra packet). I've been on long enuf that I'm rarely hungry but if I am, I have huge salads.

Are you new to the plan?

scorbett1103 12-09-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms51iastate (Post 4552203)
Well, I was thinking eating veggies like normal and just having beef and what not instead of packets. I am usually up late and get pretty hungry by 10pm. I figured maybe eat the way they want you too on maintenance for the next four days. I get pretty hungry on phase one and I just dont want the hunger to cloud the thinking.

Switching from Phase 1 to Maintenance is too drastic for your body, and four days is not long enough to phase off. If it's just the hunger you're worried about (and you don't want to use additional packets), try eating a Phase 2 diet through finals - and maybe break up your protein a bit - 4 oz protein at lunch with veggies, 8 oz protein and veggies for dinner, a snack of 4oz protein and lettuce salad (or veggies if you saved any from your other meals), and a late-night packet.