Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #1  

Default SO much support needed -surgery

For those of you who haven't read about my battle with my fall on 10/25/11, I will do a very quick recap.
fell on 10/25/11 - broke ankle -left foot but fell hard on right knee
1/23/12 - released from PT and given ok to train for triathlon
1/23/12 - tore meniscus
2/3/12 - surgery to fix meniscus, dr took too much, switched dr.
5/10/12 - knee replacement

Now the knee replacement is turning into the bone and trying to fracture it.
knee surgery - 12/19/12 to say that I am overwhelmed is an understatement.
I'm already planning which meals to pack for the hospital had surgery.
Has anyone had surgery while on IP and did the dr. allow you to stay on it? I'm thinking that it would be a good eating plan to recoup from major surgery and support bone healing but maybe I'm just rationalizing it so that I don't have to go off of program. I think going off the program is causing me as much anxiety as the surgery itself right now. The dr will answer my questions but not soon enough for me. Yes, I'm inpatient
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #2  
Restart Apr 8 2013

S/C/G: 218.6/207.6/141

Height: 5'6.5"

Maezy, I am so sorry! I live nearby and I hope you'll let me help and support in any way I can. I'll be getting PM soon when I hit 20 days and I'll send you my contact info. I really hope your doctor supports letting you do this your way. It would certainly be empowering in a situation that doesn't feel so. Please share more details as you go along... If he/she doesn't, perhaps you can have the hospital only deliver diabetic meals and leave out the bread! I will certainly be glad to bring you anything you need. You just need to put your overall wellbeing first. If you have to go off the official plan for a short time, you will have all the support you need. If you get to stay on plan, you'll have all the support you need. Please just take care of you!

Last edited by libertybelle; 12-05-2012 at 08:39 AM.
libertybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #3  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Oh Maezy - sometimes life just sucks! Am so sorry you're having to go through this ((HUGS)) darlin'! I know some people have had surgery while on IP, but I haven't seen them post anything for a few months, so don't know if they still check in here or not.

The one thing I do know...if you decide to stay OP, be sure your doc and all staff know that your IVs cannot have sugar water in them - just water. The norm is with sugar for whatever reason.

If you do have to go off program, be sure to phase off properly...

Wishing you the best...we are all here for you!

Last edited by greeniris; 12-05-2012 at 09:48 AM.
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

So sorry to hear what you are going through. I did have some surgery back in the spring and my coach mentioned something about not being in ketosis when I was put under, but my surgeon said it was fine and not to worry about it. I would just ask for diabetic meals in the hospital and not worry about IP too much while you are there. The diabetic meals should help a lot, and truthfully who ever gained weight from eating hospital food anyway. You will be fine, just concentrate on healing and getting home.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #5  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

So sorry, Maezy! Hopefully this surgery will be the end of all of it and you can get back to 100%. I can't imagine how stressful all of this has been...

I too recall that some folks had posted re having surgery here a while back. My recollection is that at least one of them I indicated that the Dr. did not want them in ketosis, which meant phasing off and restarting at some point after surgery. Maybe search the posts for "surgery" and see what pops up.

Sometimes it's just too much to focus on more than one big life issue at a time. If you need to focus just on your knee and getting that back to normal, you can still eat sensibly and restart later.

Hang in there! ((More hugs!))
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #6  

thx so much yall....my head is spinning from all of the details that I need to take care of before the surgery. today was a very long day......I think everything is starting to sink in
Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

(((Hugs))) I would discuss IP with your Dr and Surgeon. You might need certain fluids before/after/during the surgery. Some antibiotics are mixed in dextrose. Drs have a reason for ordering fluids the way they do. They won't order just saline if your need something else because you are on IP. Could you also talk to a nutritionist?? Diabetics are monitored in the hospital but are not always given just saline depending on the circumstances. Certain meds can change your blood sugar levels like Prednisone.

I think it's more important you take care of yourself and that knee. If you have to go out of ketosis, it probably won't be for long. Small setback but you are getting yourself healthier in other ways.

GL!!
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #8  

so sorry.... I do feel that you should probably phase off for the surgery. My mom just had a hip replacement this summer and her doctor advised her to phase off for the surgery because she would need her strength. She returned to phase 1 about a week and a half after her surgery. She was glad she made that choice. She ate sensibly and didn't gain anything. Thanking of you.
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #9  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Maezy
everyone here has given excellent advice. I am sorry to hear that you have had such trouble. I have been fortunate and never had to deal with surgery like that. I do know that we depend on our knees more than we can imagine!! Our feet and knees take so much!!
I will keep you in my prayers and please keep us informed.
Try not to stress out, even though that is hard to do, because stress just causes more trouble than it is worth.

Take heed to all the intelligent ladies here!! they have very sound advice!

hugs
susan
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'0"

Maezy I am sorry to heat about your struggles with you knee. I would also suggest phasing off but still monitoring what you eat. You should talk to your surgeon and anesthesiologist to decide when you should phase off and when you can jump right back OP. IVs and antibiotics will be used before, during and after surgery. I realize sugar can be an enemy but surrounding surgery it may be just what your body needs. You can jump right back on board after surgery. You body may need more than what IP has nutritionally to heal quickly. I wish you the best
kileymed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #11  

Thx all my dr seems to be fine with the IP protocol , especially tall of the potassium, magnesium, and calcium. If there is sugar involved in IV's I figure I wont react too badly since morphine is also involved!!!
I am in a MUCH BETTER frame of mind today and doing one of my favorite things,making lists!!! My hubby is just so wonderful and supportive and I feel like the luckiest person ever. My son will take such good care of me too and it will give us lots of time together. I have all of my3FC peeps who will help me through this. I am incredibly blessed and 2013 is going to be wonderful because I will finally be healed.The power of prayer! If you believe in prayer please say a few for me on 12/19. If you don't, send positive energy vibes my way!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
Thx all my dr seems to be fine with the IP protocol , especially tall of the potassium, magnesium, and calcium. If there is sugar involved in IV's I figure I wont react too badly since morphine is also involved!!!
I am in a MUCH BETTER frame of mind today and doing one of my favorite things,making lists!!! My hubby is just so wonderful and supportive and I feel like the luckiest person ever. My son will take such good care of me too and it will give us lots of time together. I have all of my3FC peeps who will help me through this. I am incredibly blessed and 2013 is going to be wonderful because I will finally be healed.The power of prayer! If you believe in prayer please say a few for me on 12/19. If you don't, send positive energy vibes my way!!!
I will most definitely send you my prayers. I love your attitude! 2013 IS going to be an amazing year for you.
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
You got them!!! And come Spring, we can meet and all go for a nice walk and celebrate you healed knee and new you (and all of us!!) (((hugs)))
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 146/120/105

Height: 5'0" on a good day :)

Maezy, may blessings abound for your health and healing. I'm glad you're feeling better about everything. Sounds like you've got great support from your doctor, family and 3FC IPeeps! So it's not only going to be a great 2013 but it's also a supportive end to 2012

Last edited by ablever; 12-06-2012 at 01:52 PM.
ablever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 274/212/190

Height: 5ft 3in

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
(((Hugs))) I would discuss IP with your Dr and Surgeon. You might need certain fluids before/after/during the surgery. Some antibiotics are mixed in dextrose. Drs have a reason for ordering fluids the way they do. They won't order just saline if your need something else because you are on IP. Could you also talk to a nutritionist?? Diabetics are monitored in the hospital but are not always given just saline depending on the circumstances. Certain meds can change your blood sugar levels like Prednisone.

I think it's more important you take care of yourself and that knee. If you have to go out of ketosis, it probably won't be for long. Small setback but you are getting yourself healthier in other ways.

GL!!
As another nurse I ditto Ninja's advice. If you gain wt it will most likely be fluid wt, and will come off. Any stress to our bodies can increase inflamation (fluid) also medications.
Take care and go one day at a time.
jampooh is offline   Reply With Quote