Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #61  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
and because I am realizing that overall, I am a slow loser. My last 4 WIs are 2.6, 1.8, 3.2, 2.6. I've never have a loss more than 3.8, usually they range from 3.0 to 3.4. I am 100% OP and I'm just having to understand and accept that my body loses more slowly than some, which means I may be on a little longer than I though. C'est la vie!
Nola, please don't consider yourself a slow loser. I have rarely seen any numbers as much as you. You are doing fantastic! I have finally been able to stablize at loosing 2 pounds a week but only by limiting my carbs to under 30g and my fats to under 40g, and I am thankful every time I see that 2. Just take one day at a time and, viola, you will be at goal.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #62  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Did someone say formula?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...al-weight.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im escaping View Post
If there is a magic formula, please share though!!
Body Fat Percentage Categories: Women (% fat)
Essential Fat 10-12%
Athletes 14-20%
Fitness 21-24%
Acceptable 25-31%
Obese 32%+

Example:
I was a 214 lb woman with 46% body fat, and my goal weight was set to have a 20% body fat at my initial lean weight. So to find my initial lean weight:
Initial Fat lb = Initial Total lb * Current BF% : 214 lb x 0.46 body fat % = 98 lb body fat
Initial Lean lb = Initial Total lb - Initial Fat lb : 214 lb - 98 lb fat = 116 lb lean body mass (muscles, bones, organs, blood, water, etc.)

A bit of algebra to find our new goal weight 'total':
Formula 1: fat = total * BF%
Formula 2: lean = total - fat
Solving for 'total' based on initial lean & desired BF%:
lean = total - (total*BF%)....lean = total*(1-BF%)....
Total = (Initial Lean lb) / (1 - Desired BF%)

Goal Weight based on Initial Lean lb = 116 lb and Desired BF% = 20%
Goal Weight = 116lb / (1 - 0.2) = 145 lb

Last edited by LizRR; 12-02-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #63  

Argh! I was told there would be no math!

I'll need a tutor
Or maybe I'll just go by how my clothes fit (or how I look in a swimsuit) or sumthin silly
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 169/140/135

Height: 5'2"

Good morning everyone! Hope you are doing great! I know I am not here often but I am so busy. Still being OP, though. I am losing very slowly but I don't care. This has to become a lifestyle. Will be having the rotini as a pasta salad for lunch. I can't wait! Enjoy your day.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
Scorbett: What is the Chippi truck?? Glad I know nothing of this!!
The Chippi truck is from Mirasol's cafe. It is the most deliciously wicked coffee drink I have ever had. Think super caffeinated coffee milk! It is one of the things I miss the most since starting IP.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Good for you! I would have felt very stuck, sort've like a hostage in my own home. No reason to put off until next year what you can do today

Is this the kind of friend that you can call and explain that you need to have your meals planned-ahead? That if there is going to be a change, your eating plan requires that you plan it out first? That no matter what others are eating, you need to stay on-plan? I've seen others on this board use the terminology "medically supervised". It can help give it some authenticity to some people who think it is "just a diet" -esp if they have the "just this once" attitude.

I have some friends I could do that with and others I couldn't. The ones I CAN I would make sure knew how important this was to me.

I recently had a friend who asked me what my plan was for "cheats". She said "you can't go through the whole 9-10 months in deprivation without ever giving yourself a treat".
I explained the packets to her. That there are chocolate and "munchy-crunchy" chip-like offerings. That I freeze the puddings to make "ice cream". That I can make pancakes and muffins. That as long as I plan well, I never feel deprived. It seemed to satisfy her. But I understand if people think we are depriving ourselves. Maybe they think they are "helping" when they really have no idea they aren't.

I have to believe our friends love us and want the best for us. They just don't understand and we have made a change. A life-altering change. They have lost their eating/drinking buddies. This is hard for them too! All we want is support in our new journey and sometimes we need to look at the other side and help THEM through our change. (As if this isn't hard enough!
We have talked about IP many times, we are both nurses and I know she understands. She is struggling with her weight at the moment and I wonder if that has something to do with it. She is joining WW in the new year because she has had success with it in the past. I plan to fully support her and hope this will make a change. I can't really talk to her about it because she will take it personally. I just need to make short plans with her that don't overlap with meal times. Even my kids said "mom can't have pizza! It has sugar in it (that is their focus for whatever reason but it helps). Thanks for listening and giving me ideas.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #67  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAPRN View Post
So, my WI this past week has put me at 49lbs down, BMI of 27.9. I am a size 10 from an 18. My body fat % is 36. My coach asked me what my goal weight would be. I told her I originally wanted to be a size 8, not sure what weight that would be. Since I am close to a size 8, but still 'overweight', she suggested I get to 30% or less body fat and go on to P2.

My observation was that I started at 42% body fat, and it has taken me almost 5 months and 50lbs to drop 7%, would it take me another 5 months and a significant poundage lost to get that low of body fat?

Or, is the BCA machine not reliable and I should take those numbers w/ a grain of salt and move on to P2 when I feel like I am ready to?

I am skeptical of the BCA. She seems to think it is gospel and we should pay attention and go by that body fat %. It doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts
I agree with Scorbett and Lisa, don't rely too much on that machine. The one at my clinic recently put me under 32% body Fat, which made me quite happy, while my brand new (and expensive) one at home put me at about 37% - go figure - they're even the same brand...

I would look at yourself in the mirror and decide if you have too much body fat. Not sure about your age, but I also think as we age, a little bit more body fat plumps out the little lines. Of course, muffin top is also a consideration!

If they have a machine that measures visceral fat, consider that too. That is the one that is supposed to have a bigger impact on health. On my home scale, even with the higher body fat %, my visceral fat is well within the healthy range.

And you can attack body fat through strength building. I expect to get on that after the holidays - probably starting with a personal trainer.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #68  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snolover View Post
Good morning everyone! Hope you are doing great! I know I am not here often but I am so busy. Still being OP, though. I am losing very slowly but I don't care. This has to become a lifestyle. Will be having the rotini as a pasta salad for lunch. I can't wait! Enjoy your day.
I'm here with you Snolover - we're both in the final stretch!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

I bought one of the hand held body fat readers. My DH made me promise it would just be a toy and not how I lived my life. He is so wise! So I used it weekly for a couple of months. I noticed a ratio pattern of weight/BMI/fat%. Since IP is suppose to lose fat at a higher percent I handed my hand held to my DH who is at the low end of his healthy weight range to find my measurements with his body have within the same 1% of body fat. He is taller and more muscular than I ever will be. So I am a non believer in the machines.

I have decided I have no control of how IP affects my body. I can only follow the plan and let it work out as it will. So hard for a controll freak!

Have a GREAT day!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
Did someone say formula?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...al-weight.html

Body Fat Percentage Categories: Women (% fat)
Essential Fat 10-12%
Athletes 14-20%
Fitness 21-24%
Acceptable 25-31%
Obese 32%+

Example:
I was a 214 lb woman with 46% body fat, and my goal weight was set to have a 20% body fat at my initial lean weight. So to find my initial lean weight:
Initial Fat lb = Initial Total lb * Current BF% : 214 lb x 0.46 body fat % = 98 lb body fat
Initial Lean lb = Initial Total lb - Initial Fat lb : 214 lb - 98 lb fat = 116 lb lean body mass (muscles, bones, organs, blood, water, etc.)

A bit of algebra to find our new goal weight 'total':
Formula 1: fat = total * BF%
Formula 2: lean = total - fat
Solving for 'total' based on initial lean & desired BF%:
lean = total - (total*BF%)....lean = total*(1-BF%)....
Total = (Initial Lean lb) / (1 - Desired BF%)

Goal Weight based on Initial Lean lb = 116 lb and Desired BF% = 20%
Goal Weight = 116lb / (1 - 0.2) = 145 lb

There have been charts developed to factor in age and sex that have resulted in expanded charts. Personally, I think they may be more realistic. At least, that is what my physician and cardiologist told me.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

Mink that's awesome, love stories were people are helpful rather than say just eat this for today it won't hurt you

Garlic, is an anti inflammatory food, love it

Ninja nurse that was huge staying op! Pat yourself on the back and appreciate yourself

Last edited by sonyainva; 12-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #72  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Just remember everyone's on a learning curve, and the less you give in and stay strong, the faster our friends and family learn!
Quote:
It can help give it some authenticity to some people who think it is "just a diet" -esp if they have the "just this once" attitude...I recently had a friend who asked me what my plan was for "cheats". She said "you can't go through the whole 9-10 months in deprivation without ever giving yourself a treat"...I have to believe our friends love us and want the best for us. They just don't understand and we have made a change. A life-altering change. They have lost their eating/drinking buddies. This is hard for them too! All we want is support in our new journey and sometimes we need to look at the other side and help THEM through our change. (As if this isn't hard enough!
Lisa and Scorbett, these are wonderful responses. It's unfortunate, but I have found that friends didn't really believe I was serious about this until they saw results. Then they became more respectful and stopped "just one bite" talk.

Yesterday was a particularly hard food day for me. It was Christmas Festival here in Natchitoches, LA. That means one long day of food orgy. Parades, parties, etc. with lots and lots of gumbo, chili, boudoin, meat pies, fried everything you can think of, desserts and sweets everywhere, and food vendors in the streets. I brought my chocolate RTD for the parade, ate an IP salty snack in the afternoon, and ate only meat at the the parties. (some steak and a few slices of ham, which is really high in sodium, but was the only protein in sight). Drank loads of water, though.

BUT - had a great day with friends, festivities, and loads of compliments on how I looked! That was totally worth it!

Just saying that we have each other here on the forum and we get to live with our results. That's the dessert!

Quote:
Argh! I was told there would be no math!
I'll need a tutor Or maybe I'll just go by how my clothes fit (or how I look in a swimsuit) or sumthin silly
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #73  
60 great years young

S/C/G: 188/ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
I have a question (or discussion topic). I was thinking about putting it in a seperate thread, but decided to try putting it in the daily instead and hope it will generate lots of responses. It's about determining your end goal, and possibly revising your end goal, or possibly doing maintenance for a while, then coming back with a new end goal. How do you decide what your end goal will be? For how many of you is is based on your "ideal weight" versus how long you think you can tolerate being on this diet, or how long you feel you can stay on IP due to other reasons?

I'd appreciate any discussion and insight others can offer regarding end goals and how they set them. Thanks!
My approach to this is not very scientific or mathematical! On day one I read tons of the maintenance boards in this forum and made my personal 9 month IP cycle plan.

I am in week 2 and been battling the same 30 pounds for YEARS. I know where I plateau on other weight loss plans and am enthusiastic that this will not happen to me with IP. Realizing that my body is a trickey and adaptive machine I decided to be OP for 4 months and estimated a goal weight that the center predicts of -10 pounds per month.

I enjoy exercise and mild weight training, so I hope to reintegrate that soon but realize weight loss is #1 for my health and overall sense of self.

After the initial phase 1 for 4 months and whatever weight I get to I will spend another month in phase 2 &3. I plan to move toward increased exercising and eating at a maintenance level for the following 4 months. THEN if I have learned maintenence and I feel that I would be healthier at additional weight loss, go back to phase 1 and establish a new cycle for myself. Besides weight loss I am determined to eliminate yo-yo!

That is my personal IP plan and of course, life happens and modifications may become necessary. One day at a time toward these goals and plans.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #74  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
Nola, please don't consider yourself a slow loser. I have rarely seen any numbers as much as you. You are doing fantastic! I have finally been able to stabilize at loosing 2 pounds a week but only by limiting my carbs to under 30g and my fats to under 40g, and I am thankful every time I see that 2. Just take one day at a time and, viola, you will be at goal.
Ditto that When I was loosing more than 2 lbs a week I simply had a lot more to lose. Each week now, I'm throwing into my happiness bucket that staying the same or just loosing anything is keeping off the lbs I've already lost. Maintenance will be a lifetime phase so I'll have lots of time to enjoy that when it comes. We will get there with patience and perseverance. We've got this!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

I know this may be off topic, but I know several folks here have posted in various thread about buying inexpensive new clothes at Old Navy. Old Navy has all their dresses 50% off and several of their winter jackets at 60% off IN-STORE only TODAY only, plus you can print out a 10% daily deal coupon from their facebook page. This puts most of their dresses at the cost of $11 to $15 dollars, toggle jackets at $15, and peter pan collar and other jackets (they look like field jackets) at around $20. Not bad if you really need some new clothes.
Closed Thread