3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Maintainers Vol 9 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270781-maintainers-vol-9-a.html)

sonyainva 01-16-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriKay (Post 4593786)
I'm going to start working out tomorrow! The kids and I have an appointment with the physical trainer to learn how to use the machines and what we need for us. I'm not sure what to expect. My 16 yo son is 5'10" and weighs 130 so he needs to build and gain, my daughter is 13, she doesn't need anything but wants to join us and it's good for her. (Maybe she can get some arm muscles so she can finally get the volleyball over the net when she serves!) I need to lose my tummy and get more energy. I really don't want to put more weight on the scale so I'm scared of building muscle, that's so silly but I don't want to go back to phase 1 to stay at my goal and I don't want to increase it any.

A family that works out together, awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4593256)
Just popping in to say hi! I am probably only a few weeks out from phasing off, so I will be lurking here a lot and asking lots of questions :) So excited to be "graduating!" :)

Scorbett we will be the class of 2012!

I have 2 weeks of phase 1, week of phase 2, 2 weeks on phase 3 then off to vacation in costa rica

scorbett1103 01-16-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonyainva (Post 4593807)
A family that works out together, awesome.

Scorbett we will be the class of 2012!

I have 2 weeks of phase 1, week of phase 2, 2 weeks on phase 3 then off to vacation in costa rica

Nice!!! I will probably phase off in 3 or 4 weeks, depending on how I feel and how much P1 food I have left :)

bubbleblower 01-16-2013 08:07 PM

Saw this thread bumped up and just thought I'd drop by to see what I have to look forward to - although it may not be for awhile ... I figure the sooner I can get smart about the whole phase off and maintenance process, the better.

Great to see so many of you doing so well in maintenance! It's kind of scary thinking about not having the safety net of the IP foods down the road.

greeniris 01-16-2013 09:02 PM

Signed up for a year at the gym today; begin working out tomorrow after work. Excited, but not looking forward to sore muscles...How many days a week do all of you work out, and for how long?

My weight is slowwwllllyyyy getting back down to where it needs to be...still having trouble staying on track but getting better...

LoriKay 01-16-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4593829)
Nice!!! I will probably phase off in 3 or 4 weeks, depending on how I feel and how much P1 food I have left :)

You still use p1 food in P4 so don't let that make the decision for you! I have something from P1 for my snack in the evening almost every day. I also do a partial P1 day once a week to keep things under control. (May need to start doing complete P1 days if my scale goes any higher!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeniris (Post 4593900)
Signed up for a year at the gym today; begin working out tomorrow after work. Excited, but not looking forward to sore muscles...How many days a week do all of you work out, and for how long?

My weight is slowwwllllyyyy getting back down to where it needs to be...still having trouble staying on track but getting better...

Signing up for a year is a great commitment! I'm signing up for one month for now and we'll see how the kids do! I'm hoping to work out 4 days a week for about an hour for starters. Maybe on nights when my kids have other things going on I'll stay longer.

I don't understand why - if I eat one tiny mini-snickers, I can't stop eating chocolate!! I know better, I tell my self no, then I go grab some more. Today CAN'T be my cheat day, Ugggg... I did enter it into MyFitnessPal and am still under calories but over on carbs. I finalized my food entry so I can't eat another bite!!! :)

scorbett1103 01-16-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriKay (Post 4593930)
You still use p1 food in P4 so don't let that make the decision for you! I have something from P1 for my snack in the evening almost every day. I also do a partial P1 day once a week to keep things under control. (May need to start doing complete P1 days if my scale goes any higher!)

Signing up for a year is a great commitment! I'm signing up for one month for now and we'll see how the kids do! I'm hoping to work out 4 days a week for about an hour for starters. Maybe on nights when my kids have other things going on I'll stay longer.

I don't understand why - if I eat one tiny mini-snickers, I can't stop eating chocolate!! I know better, I tell my self no, then I go grab some more. Today CAN'T be my cheat day, Ugggg... I did enter it into MyFitnessPal and am still under calories but over on carbs. I finalized my food entry so I can't eat another bite!!! :)

Thanks Lori! I know there are particular things I will definitely use even in P4, but I'm looking forward to a "clean slate" - finish up the 3 packets per day's worth that I have, then do a fresh shopping trip for a P4 stash :) Seeing that empty tote where I keep my packets will do my brain good :)

I did something similar with our gym membership - got a 3 month and immediately signed the kids up for swimming lessons. That way I know I have to be there at least once a week, we work out while the kids play, then lessons. Then we have scheduled 2 other days to go when the older one is in school and the little one can go in the playroom while I hit the treadmill. I'm hoping it sets up good patterns for us all!

LizRR 01-16-2013 09:52 PM

Hey folks - just popping in now that I have some more time since my son went down early. I made a 'thread announcement' that I am officially pregnant (6 weeks) - I have actually been sitting on the news for a few weeks, seemed too early to tell anyone except for hubby of course, but you know what - I LOVE having this forum to vent, ask advice, brainstorm, etc. I still haven't told my folks or friends, waiting a few more weeks since it is still pretty early (first Dr. appt in 2 weeks), but no matter what happens I will still be leaning on all y'all for advice and support! I told hubby I was going to spill the beans on here, since it's 'anonymous' IRL, but still 'family' so I can say ANYTHING!

Like today - I nearly tossed my cookies at lunchtime when I opened up my roasted red cabbage & pork loin. It was a delicious dinner 2 nights ago, I had a subway turkey breast sandwich instead.

I am still running, making sure to have something before, staying hydrated, and slowing the pace down. And I quit doing Bootcamp-style classes and am sticking to Bodypump - it's a more 'stable' class and there is no way I could do all the jumping/burpees/etc as the months progress.

Anyways - very excited and happy and nervous - and feel so lucky to have everyone here to talk to. I will be definitely asking for advice and brainstorming!!!!

greeniris 01-16-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizRR (Post 4593982)
Hey folks - just popping in now that I have some more time since my son went down early. I made a 'thread announcement' that I am officially pregnant (6 weeks) - I have actually been sitting on the news for a few weeks, seemed too early to tell anyone except for hubby of course, but you know what - I LOVE having this forum to vent, ask advice, brainstorm, etc. I still haven't told my folks or friends, waiting a few more weeks since it is still pretty early (first Dr. appt in 2 weeks), but no matter what happens I will still be leaning on all y'all for advice and support! I told hubby I was going to spill the beans on here, since it's 'anonymous' IRL, but still 'family' so I can say ANYTHING!

Like today - I nearly tossed my cookies at lunchtime when I opened up my roasted red cabbage & pork loin. It was a delicious dinner 2 nights ago, I had a subway turkey breast sandwich instead.

I am still running, making sure to have something before, staying hydrated, and slowing the pace down. And I quit doing Bootcamp-style classes and am sticking to Bodypump - it's a more 'stable' class and there is no way I could do all the jumping/burpees/etc as the months progress.

Anyways - very excited and happy and nervous - and feel so lucky to have everyone here to talk to. I will be definitely asking for advice and brainstorming!!!!

Wonderful News Liz!! So very happy for you and your family; CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Starshine 01-16-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizRR (Post 4593982)

Oh, Liz, I'm so very exited for you!!! I've been so busy today, but wanted to read this thread, but you stopped me in my tracks. I'm so happy for you. Congrats, congrats, congrats!

Determinedat47 01-16-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriKay (Post 4593930)

I don't understand why - if I eat one tiny mini-snickers, I can't stop eating chocolate!! I know better, I tell my self no, then I go grab some more. Today CAN'T be my cheat day, Ugggg... I did enter it into MyFitnessPal and am still
under calories but over on carbs. I finalized my food entry so I can't eat
another bite!!! :)

It is called carb addiction- I have it too

momat40 01-17-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Determinedat47 (Post 4594128)
It is called carb addiction- I have it too

Count me in... those tiny flat pretzels are my nemesis!!! I'm doing good w/my Phase 1 days, but then sabotage myself with those nasty carbs. Not a lot, but enough to prevent the scale going to my safe number. So today, I was hungry when I woke and decided to do my Phase 3 breakfast... then tomorrow will be the Phase 1 day I need. Why do I worry about that number so much, aggghhhh!!!!

I'm so PMSing and feel like I could eat the entire house! lol So I come here for some accountability. Thank you ladies.

sonyainva 01-17-2013 08:40 AM

Heartiest Congratulations to one Hot Momma, go Liz!

Ishbel 01-17-2013 08:55 AM

bubbleblower :wave: IP will always be a safety net for me. So don't be scared :) If I need an extra extra extra light day, that would be a day of Phase 1 and I personally have learned that not all of my Phase 1 days can be done with alternatives, just something about IP foods (for me).

greeniris Good luck at the gym! You'll find it way more easier now, almost like being lighter on your feet :D

scorbett1103 Almost done!!! WOOT WOOT, got your Phase 3 breakfasts figured out yet??

Liz I think you know how happy I am for you...even had to point it out to VIP (he generally knows a lot of people from here just by me commenting while I'm reading) He was busy playing a 'dumb' ipad game but he smiled for ya LOL

Determinedat47 :wave: I got carb addiction too!!

+++++++++++++

SO! If I was preggers like Liz, today would be my due date. :D Today is 9 months in maintenance and I weighed in at 159.2 (158.6 yesterday). Amazingly enough, thats exactly where I started maintenance (in the 50's). Really I hit goal at 164 and started to phase off, so I've been 10 months fluctuating between 5-6 lbs....which to me is sucess.

I've been working HARD at getting my weight lower (had a few days up at 166/165 - around Christmas :D). Right before Christmas I said "self, your fun days will not be on regular schedule therefore the normal # of days between fun days won't be 'normal' so it will take you a while to get back to 'normal schedule and fluctuation' after Christmas. You have until 17 Jan to get your poop together".

I have been eating very very very specifically and very very light (only the regular one day of Phase 1 day), last two weeks have had two nights of fish and two nights of scrambled egg whites with veggies and I'm choosing not to have carbs some nights for supper (I still have my after supper fruit). AND, it's shown up on the scale right on time. I've been very careful these last two/three months because of my hips, I have not been exercising or even walking due to the pain so I deleted 150-200 cals from my diet and I'm now 1300-1500 intead of 1600-1900 per day.

I am inspired DAILY by EVERYONE on 3FC not just the IP threads. I lurk everywhere (tee hee) and I lurk probably more then you know. I go to TOPS on Wednesdays so that's my mid-week check in, I plan my meals sometimes two days in advance. I track my food still AND I track my daily weigh ins. I can use the program so make a bar chart of 9 months and I see the fluctuation and it helps keep me confident that what I'm doing, I'm doing it right (for me). I come on here...I POST! Posting is part of accountability to me, I wish more people would post so I could have more to talk to! lol

I've been told that I do not talk about my struggles enough on here. It's because if I need a plan, I need it now I cannot wait for someone to give me the plan, I must make it myself and see if it will work for me. That doesn't mean I don't come on here and find others plans and adapt them. Having a plan calms me, if I don't know what I'm eating (or going to eat) I get irritated and frustrated and life is not pleasant for me.

I have been on target in the past, I am on target today and I am planning to be on target tomorrow.

WOW-I had a lot to say, sorry....kinda happy right now.

greeniris 01-17-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishbel (Post 4594435)
bubbleblower :wave: IP will always be a safety net for me. So don't be scared :) If I need an extra extra extra light day, that would be a day of Phase 1 and I personally have learned that not all of my Phase 1 days can be done with alternatives, just something about IP foods (for me).

greeniris Good luck at the gym! You'll find it way more easier now, almost like being lighter on your feet :D

scorbett1103 Almost done!!! WOOT WOOT, got your Phase 3 breakfasts figured out yet??

Liz I think you know how happy I am for you...even had to point it out to VIP (he generally knows a lot of people from here just by me commenting while I'm reading) He was busy playing a 'dumb' ipad game but he smiled for ya LOL

Determinedat47 :wave: I got carb addiction too!!

+++++++++++++

SO! If I was preggers like Liz, today would be my due date. :D Today is 9 months in maintenance and I weighed in at 159.2 (158.6 yesterday). Amazingly enough, thats exactly where I started maintenance (in the 50's). Really I hit goal at 164 and started to phase off, so I've been 10 months fluctuating between 5-6 lbs....which to me is sucess.

I've been working HARD at getting my weight lower (had a few days up at 166/165 - around Christmas :D). Right before Christmas I said "self, your fun days will not be on regular schedule therefore the normal # of days between fun days won't be 'normal' so it will take you a while to get back to 'normal schedule and fluctuation' after Christmas. You have until 17 Jan to get your poop together".

I have been eating very very very specifically and very very light, last two weeks have had two nights of fish and two nights of scrambled egg whites with veggies and I'm choosing not to have carbs some nights for supper (I still have my after supper fruit). AND, it's shown up on the scale right on time. I've been very careful these last two/three months because of my hips, I have not been excersising or even walking due to the pain so I deleted 150-200 cals from my diet and I'm now 1300-1500 intead of 1600-1900 per day.

I am inspired DAILY by EVERYONE on 3FC not just the IP threads. I lurk everywhere (tee hee) and I lurk probably more then you know. I go to TOPS on Wednesdays so that's my mid-week check in, I plan my meals sometimes two days in advance. I track my food still AND I track my daily weigh ins. I can use the program so make a bar chart of 9 months and I see the fluctuation and it helps keep me confident that what I'm doing, I'm doing it right (for me). I come on here...I POST! Posting is part of accountability to me, I wish more people would post so I could have more to talk to! lol

I've been told that I do not talk about my struggles enough on here. It's because if I need a plan, I need it now I cannot wait for someone to give me the plan, I must make it myself and see if it will work for me. That doesn't mean I don't come on here and find others plans and adapt them. Having a plan calms me, if I don't know what I'm eating (or going to eat) I get irritated and frustrated and life is not pleasant for me.

I have been on target in the past, I am on target today and I am planning to be on target tomorrow.

WOW-I had a lot to say, sorry....kinda happy right now.

Wish I had more time right now to really formulate my response to what you've written - but want you to know you've struck a chord in me. I too try to have my menu planned out at least 2 days in advance (then get irritated if VIP decides he doesn't want what I've planned for dinner on a given night). Have found too that it isn't good enough to just put "veggs" on the menu - have to be specific about which ones, how to cook them, etc. Makes my life much easier when I get home from work.

Thanks for sharing Ishbel...you've been so successful on your journey!

Starshine 01-17-2013 10:36 AM

First, Ishbel, you are an inspiration.:) Thanks for posting. I think planning will be the key for me too in maintenance.

All this talk about carb addiction really scares me. That's me in a nutshell. I'm 100%, and I haven't cheated on this diet during my time on IP, and stayed away from the sweet things, to try to tame that sweet addiction.

But still in my head, as I told a friend yesterday, I kind of want to dive into a bowl of M&M's and scarf them down. I won't do that though, but it's in my head. I'm dealing with lots of stress right now, and that's why those M&M's are tempting. But I know that food won't take away the stress, and it will only make matters worse if I use it that way, so it's not an option.

How do those of you with carb addictions deal with this in maintenance?

I love my chocolate protein shake/green smoothies, and I think that helps to keep the addiction at bay, so I think I'll continue with those in maintenance, and have those as my back up when I need something on the sweeter side. First checking to make sure I"m truly hungry though.

I know I'll have to really watch what I eat, and add carbs back in slowly, and get a body reaction to the added carbs. And use the cheat days for things like grilled cheese sandwiches, and the such, not for pigging out on chocolate junk. Although, I wouldn't mind having one cupcake or something like that. But I don't know if I can, or if that would start that downhill spiral that I know so well.

I know maintenance will be a learning experience for me, as I add back in more beans and other vegetarian options that I've missed, and try out more vegetables, which I'm really looking forward too. But my carb/sweet addiction still really scares me, as I know how bad it can be.

Thanks, everyone, for your sage advice! :hug:

Fishette 01-17-2013 12:02 PM

I put on lots of weight last year by eating a large bad of chocolate every night - "because I deserved it due to the stress". But I remember my last few trips to an all-inclusive resort - I would eat lots and lots the first 2 or 3 days, then I just could not hold any more. They put really decadent chocolates in fancy forms and petit fors in our room each night. After the first few nights I couldn't even eat that. It seems that my body has a limit for the abuse I want to give it. I usually gain about 3 lbs on such a vacation. (I also enjoy lots of cocktails which I usually don't drink otherwise.) I'm going again on Valentines Day. No doubt I'll be in the reboot thread when I return. But I'm curious to see how IP may have changed my eating pattern.

Maile 01-17-2013 02:26 PM

Hi everyone, I have been dealing with moving my 92 year old mother into a retirement home. I have been stressed and spending time on this.

Fishette: I went to package plans in Cancun. It will be interesting to see hoe IP has affected you. I am so used to eating 2 cups of lettuce and 2 cs of veges that I miss them if I do not get them.

Ishbel: That was such an inspiring post! You have got this maintenance down, girl! 9 months and staying in a 5-6 pound range is a real accomplishment. You have found what works for you and are such a success. I plan ahead also! You are also very inspirational with carefully planning your calories due to your devreased exercsie. I am sorry your hip is still bothering you. I thought I was cold..but -27 is much colder! I agre that rebooting is part of maintenance.

Lizr: I am so excited for you and your baby! Plus you are in terrific shape..being thin and in great physical condition with your running. I hope your nausea is not too bad. I did like your custard!

LoriKay: that is great that your whole family has joined the gym. I was worried about gaining muscle..but now I really like see those shaped arms and legs!

Starshine, Momat 40, and Determined. I know I have a carb addiction. For me, it is a sugar addiction. I try to stay away from sugar as much as possible as well as refined carbs. The only way this has worked for me, was finding low carb foods that I really like. Last night I ate zuchini noodles, finely shredded with spaghetti sauce and turkey meatballs. I was very happy.

Becky81: There are so many maintainers who keep popping up. It is a wonderful support.

Sonyavaina: Costa Rica is sounding warm and wonderful. You seem to have your Phases planned.

Cbl70: 4 months and 6 pounds below your goal is such a success! That is inspirational.

Greeniris: I am going to the gym also. It is just too cold to exercise outside now.

Bubbleblower: Initially I was not happy giving up my packets. It was scary.
You do get used to it...and some people still use packets in maintenance.

Scorbette: Welcome. That is exciting that you are using up your last packets and are heading into Phase 4. Putting my IP shaker away was a symbol of maintenance for me.

I am in my range and still exercising even if it is freezing outside.

Starshine 01-17-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4594960)
Hi everyone, I have been dealing with moving my 92 year old mother into a retirement home. I have been stressed and spending time on this.

Starshine, Momat 40, and Determined. I know I have a carb addiction. For me, it is a sugar addiction. I try to stay away from sugar as much as possible
as well as refined carbs. The only way this has worked for me, was finding
low carb foods that I really like. Last night I ate zuchini noodles, finally shredded with spaghetti sauce. I was very happy.

I am in my range..and not eating emotionally even though life is stressful.

Maile, I hope that your mother's move goes well and is over soon. :hug:

Thank you so much for your response too. I was waiting to hear from you. :)

I'm sugar addicted too. Almost exclusively the chocolate variety, thus the M&M thoughts. I think I have to find foods that I adore too. I know they are out there, because I was Vegan and loved the foods I ate while I was on that diet, and was in the best shape of my life. It was stress that had me eating some junk chocolate, and that was the start of the spiral 8 years ago, that led me ultimately to IP.

Do you use things like stevia, or do you stay away from all sweets? I've eaten whole grains for a long time now, so simple carbs that way aren't something I'm worried about, thankfully.

I've had lots of stressful moments while on IP, and I've not really had any real desire to cheat, and certainly not with any of the junk chocolate that is my vice. So that is giving me a bit of confidence that I can stay away from my vices.

And I admire you so much on your journey, Maile. I only hope I can be as successful as you in maintenance, and find my path of lifelong health.

Thanks again! :)

Maile 01-17-2013 06:09 PM

Starshine..What a sweet supportive message. I spent most of my teen and adult life bingeing and yo-yo dieting..extremes. 3 years ago I began to lose my weight. I started reading about sugar addiction..plus I was worried about my blood sugar. I do stay away from sugar..my fun meals do not include my old triggers of sweets and high carbs. I do use splenda, stevia, and Walden Farms syrups if I want sweet. This may not be the healthiest thing, but it helps me. I do indulge now and then with eating Korean food that might have a small sugar soy marinaade or using a Thai peanut sauce. By eating low carb and low sugar,entering my third year..I have found that my desire for sweets and bingeing has mainly disappeared. I have not binged in 3 years.
I do find that cooking Indian foods using pureed tomatoes or making parmesan zuchini bites, satisfy my need to eat something that satisfies me. Plus I make pumpkin syrup with canned pumpkin.
I have been on that spiral where things got out of control. I wish you sucess in staying on track and finding out what works for you. Vegan eating can be very tasty and healthy!

Lizzy63 01-17-2013 07:21 PM

Wow - great news, Liz! So happy for you!

Ishbel - thanks for your post. It's good to hear how someone that has been maintaining for a long period makes it work!

Maile - Sorry to hear that you have to move your Mom to a nursing home.

Big job interview coming up in a couple of weeks... And I am definitely a stress eater. Have to be extra careful about planning for meals so I don't slip.

Starshine 01-17-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4595186)
Starshine..What a sweet supportive message. I spent most of my teen and adult life bingeing and yo-yo dieting..extremes. 3 years ago I began to lose my weight. I started reading about sugar addiction..plus I was worried about my blood sugar. I do stay away from sugar..my fun meals do not include my old triggers of sweets and high carbs. I do use splenda, stevia, and Walden Farms syrups if I want sweet. This may not be the healthiest thing, but it helps me. I do indulge now and then with eating Korean food that might have a small sugar soy marinaade or using a Thai peanut sauce. By eating low carb and low sugar,entering my third year..I have found that my desire for sweets and bingeing has mainly disappeared. I have not binged in 3 years.
I do find that cooking Indian foods using pureed tomatoes or making parmesan zuchini bites, satisfy my need to eat something that satisfies me. Plus I make pumpkin syrup with canned pumpkin.
I have been on that spiral where things got out of control. I wish you sucess in staying on track and finding out what works for you. Vegan eating can be very tasty and healthy!

Thank you so much, Maile! :hug: This helps me a lot, as we have similar backgrounds with the sugar addiction. I'll do my best to stay away from everything sugar. My two different neighbors said once that they just don't like sweet things, so I may take up that mantra. That would get people not to push the sweets, and it may get it into my brain that I don't want sweets.

I'll have to look up those Parmesan zuchini bites. I just bought a book that gives recipes just on preparing greens, so that will be fun to use when I hit maintenance also. I love learning and cooking, so maintenance will let me enjoy those things too.

Thanks to for the good wishes; I'll be using those. :) And I'll try to have my fun meals not include the junk that I know triggers me. I know that's a losing battle, and I've been there for too many decades.

Thanks again, Maile!

bubbleblower 01-17-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking that will be the way I'll be going. It's definitely comforting knowing that I finally have something that works, in case my weight creeps up at all and I need it. I told DH I was getting rid of all of my larger clothes once I reached goal, so there will be no going back!

Quote:

SO! If I was preggers like Liz, today would be my due date. :D Today is 9 months in maintenance and I weighed in at 159.2 (158.6 yesterday). Amazingly enough, thats exactly where I started maintenance (in the 50's). Really I hit goal at 164 and started to phase off, so I've been 10 months fluctuating between 5-6 lbs....which to me is success.

That is *absolutely* success!! You should be really proud of yourself, and it's definitely an inspiration for folks like me concerned about maintaining our losses for the long term. It's reassuring to know it *can* be done. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starshine (Post 4594577)
All this talk about carb addiction really scares me. That's me in a nutshell. I'm 100%, and I haven't cheated on this diet during my time on IP, and stayed away from the sweet things, to try to tame that sweet addiction.

Yeah, that's what scares me as well. I'm doing great on IP - no cheats at all so far, and I really haven't had any cravings. I'm just concerned about falling back into the routine of having too many carbs, which seems to end up with me losing control over what I eat. It really doesn't even seem to be about hunger. I think I'll be forever on a somewhat carb restricted diet - especially since I seem to feel so much better when I am.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4594960)

<snip>

Bubbleblower: Initially I was not happy giving up my packets. It was scary.
You do get used to it...and some people still use packets in maintenance.

I am in my range and still exercising even if it is freezing outside.

Oh, I feel for you and your mom. :hug: My mom turns 91 in March and she's been in assisted living for about the last year. She tells me every time I talk with her that she wants to go "home." Her condo is still nearby and my brother used to take her there every now and then but I don't think he does anymore. It doesn't help having her 1000 miles away from me but at least that will be changing soon given our planned move. Anyway, I know how stressful the whole situation can be - all around. Hang in there!

I think I may be one of the folks who continues to rely on packets even in maintenance to a certain extent, but at a minimum, I know I never want to get out of the habit of tracking what I eat. I don't want to obsess over it, but I do want to maintain a certain level of awareness since I think it was a lot of 'mindless eating' that allowed my weight to creep up and up for so long. I also know a lot had to do with having red wine with dinner all the time, and I've been giving serious thought to just eliminating alcohol from my diet permanently. I've gotten kind of used to enjoying my seltzer with lemon while everyone gets silly at parties anyway. :lol:

I just realized as I was looking at the calendar, that at this rate I should be within 4 pounds of goal by the time I go away in mid-February. I think I was actually a bit afraid that I might be at goal before then and would have to deal with adding in foods while away and facing all kinds of temptations. It's kind of comforting knowing that all I have to do is pack my foods, and I have the 'diet' excuse for not indulging along with everyone else. I do hope I can get myself to the point of not needing the excuse in order to say no, and will just make the right choices.

scorbett1103 01-17-2013 07:54 PM

Maile - thanks! I kind of feel the same way - that putting away the boxes is symbolic more than anything - the next time I buy products it will be solely as snacks and to cover my P1 days when I need them, a totally different mindframe from where I'm at now. I can't wait!

Ishbel - I am totally stealing every one of LizRR's recipes, she is my roadmap through P3! :) You are also one that I will be looking toward as I figure out maintenance - you have done an amazing job!!! How awesome to maintain such a tight range for so long!

patns 01-18-2013 01:37 AM

Maile, I hope your mom settles in well. We had to move my mom last year just after her 88th birthday.

It had been heartbreaking for the past several years because she just should not have been on her own and was far too stubborn to let anyone help her, wouldn't let caregivers in etc.
Then she had a heat attack on her 88th birthday and they would not release her from the hospital to go home and she had to accept that she had to go to assisted living. That will be a year ago in March.

To everyones surprise, including her own she loves it. She feels much safer and is much more social than she has been in years.

Now, if she knew how much it is costing her she would totally have a heart attack! She asks my sister once in a while to bring her bank statements but forgets about that quickly. But such a relief for everyone that she has settled so well.
Pat

bubbleblower 01-18-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4595631)
Maile, I hope your mom settles in well. We had to move my mom last year just after her 88th birthday.

It had been heartbreaking for the past several years because she just should not have been on her own and was far too stubborn to let anyone help her, wouldn't let caregivers in etc.
Then she had a heat attack on her 88th birthday and they would not release her from the hospital to go home and she had to accept that she had to go to assisted living. That will be a year ago in March.

To everyones surprise, including her own she loves it. She feels much safer and is much more social than she has been in years.

Now, if she knew how much it is costing her she would totally have a heart attack! She asks my sister once in a while to bring her bank statements but forgets about that quickly. But such a relief for everyone that she has settled so well.
Pat

That's really great! I think my mom really likes it much more than she'll ever admit. She has so many good friends right there with her now, and the food is great (she weighs more than she has in years!). She's also healthier in general since her medications are always monitored.

It's a tough thing for many of us in our generation to go through, but it is the right thing ...

Fishette 01-18-2013 06:27 AM

My friend is a chef at an assisted living place. When he was first hired, he got rid of all the canned food and fired all the cooks who only wanted to heat up a can of whatever. Then he would adjust his recipes according to what was left uneaten. After a few months, he was in trouble with the head nurse because all the patients had gained weight! But the owners were happy with the rave reviews. He even has sell out crowds at special meals like Thanksgiving because the visiting families want to come there to eat. Wish I could get my mom to move in there!

sonyainva 01-18-2013 08:57 AM

Fishette - what a great chef! lovely human being to take care of our seniors so well.

Maile - I hope that your mom settles in well and just sending positive vibes your way.

Carb/Sugar Addiction - Is there a 12 step program where I can sign up? Sugar is my drug of choice. Not decided if I will completely stay off, or have a sliver on fun days.

I did notice that I still need to learn about PORTION CONTROL. The few times I had a gyro salad, I ate and I ate, I was full, but I was enjoying it so much that I could not stop, did not stop myself. I mistakenly thought it's protein, ok bad protein, full of fat and fillers. But I can eat the "allowed" foods.

In the P4 seminar the person stressed on portion control. I had for a while been under the false impression that if you ate the combinations suggested by IP you can eat away. Learning that is not so.

How important fillers/vegetables are going to be for me. I can see myself having some of the IP products to get good protein in.

Ishbel - Very happy to see you maintain in a range, gives me hope.

13 Days of P1 to go, no restricteds for me.

darbs7 01-18-2013 12:16 PM

Every time I log on to 3FC...it is always a new group of maintainers. I wonder what everyone over the years is up to.

Patns....Maile....you know what I mean.

Losing the weight is such a minor and easy part of the journey compared to the maintenance...you just don't know it during the loss part.

The battle the battle the battle....I keep winning them....eventually I will win this war and conquer this territory and I will own the "land" not the diet.

In the meantime...holding steady at goal weight...almost 22 months

jennydoodle 01-18-2013 12:44 PM

Hey Darbs and everyone! I have been super busy since the holiday's so it hasn't afforded me time to jump on here, but I am still around. I maintained fairly well through the holidays, coming off a 2 week P1 stint just to "get back to normal" and purge my system of all the junk I ate. I just felt like garbage so I wanted to get back to feeling good and nothing makes me feel as good as P1. :D

Other than that, just plugging along at life. Work, working out, sleeping, eating... Same stuff, different day ;)

darbs7 01-18-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennydoodle (Post 4596244)
Hey Darbs and everyone! I have been super busy since the holiday's so it hasn't afforded me time to jump on here, but I am still around. I maintained fairly well through the holidays, coming off a 2 week P1 stint just to "get back to normal" and purge my system of all the junk I ate. I just felt like garbage so I wanted to get back to feeling good and nothing makes me feel as good as P1. :D

Other than that, just plugging along at life. Work, working out, sleeping, eating... Same stuff, different day ;)

Jenny same with me...just did a 2 week phase 1 to get back to goal.

Lynnie63 01-18-2013 02:40 PM

Hey maintainers! I hope to be joining you here soon!

Couple of things - I'm phasing off for a cruise and have questions regarding Phase 3.

I was planning on starting P3 on Thursday and will spend some time over the weekend planning my breakafasts. I was going to use the packets still for my lunch, seeing I still want to lose weight - has anyone done this? Is it ok?

Also, I received the one sheet Phase 3 lisitng of foods, etc from my coach - no date on it. I read the veggies -under "ocassional" it says "pepper rutabega" - on the P1 sheet rutabega's are listed under "select". As I was writing this I noticed that the only "pepper" on the P1 sheet are "hot peppers" - have I been eating green, orange, red & yellow peppers (very often) and they're not on this plan?!? I don't see the sheet in the stickies. Does anyone else have this sheet? Have you noticed this? I dont have it here at work, but can scan it and email it to someone over the weekend if you PM me your email. Plus, maybe it should go in the stickies - it looks valid - like the P1 & P2 sheets.

I just checked out the P2 sheet in the stickies and it says "peppers rutabega" under ocassional too. I guess it's real.

Thanks!

Maile 01-18-2013 03:15 PM

Lynnie63: I don't think it would hurt to have a packet for lunch on P3. On P4 I sometimes have the IP soup for a change. I don't have any sheets. I did not eat the red and yellow peppers until P4..but ate the green. Welcome to maintenance.

Starshine: I was in that decades club of yo-yoing. Good luck on finding new recipes. Zucchini chips: Slice zuchinnis in circles. Dip in reg beater or eggs.
Shake in a plastic bag with pamesean until they are coated. Put on Pam sprayed aluminum foil sheet on baking pan. Bake 375 for 20 or so minutes until they are brown. They are crispy and yummy. I do this with mushrooms also..and sometimes sprinkle spices.
Bubbleblower and Patns: Thanks for your support and for sharing your moms' stories. I was pleased to hear that your moms adjusted and found new friends. That is what I am hoping for.

Bubbleblower" good to be 4 pounds away from goal for your trip. You can do it.

Scorbette: I love Lizr's recipes. She is an amazing cook. You are getting closer to P4! It also felt wierd when I started seeing my coach 2x a month.

Darb7: 22 months of maintenance is impressive. Yes, the people keep changing here. I love the new people, and hope the others who no longer post are doing well. That is how I feel in January..doing the same stuff, but on different days.

Jennydoodle. That was good that the holidays went well and that your maintenance is going well. I like dyour comment about doing the same stuff but on different days. January drags with the cold not helping.

Sonyavainva: I do not know of any sugar addiction group. There are two books that are good. Why people get fat and Suagr the bitter truth. There is also a sugar addiction team on Spark people.com. Yes, portion control is importatn..even if the food is healthy. I do not know why we get these urges to eat more when food tastes especially good.

It is cold and I am having a quiet day. The NWCR registry asked me to do a story. I might write one.

Lizzy63 01-18-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynnie63 (Post 4596408)
Hey maintainers! I hope to be joining you here soon!

Couple of things - I'm phasing off for a cruise and have questions regarding Phase 3.

I was planning on starting P3 on Thursday and will spend some time over the weekend planning my breakafasts. I was going to use the packets still for my lunch, seeing I still want to lose weight - has anyone done this? Is it ok?

Also, I received the one sheet Phase 3 lisitng of foods, etc from my coach - no date on it. I read the veggies -under "ocassional" it says "pepper rutabega" - on the P1 sheet rutabega's are listed under "select". As I was writing this I noticed that the only "pepper" on the P1 sheet are "hot peppers" - have I been eating green, orange, red & yellow peppers (very often) and they're not on this plan?!? I don't see the sheet in the stickies. Does anyone else have this sheet? Have you noticed this? I dont have it here at work, but can scan it and email it to someone over the weekend if you PM me your email. Plus, maybe it should go in the stickies - it looks valid - like the P1 & P2 sheets.

I just checked out the P2 sheet in the stickies and it says "peppers rutabega" under ocassional too. I guess it's real.

Thanks!

Lynnie - I ate all colors of peppers often through all phases with no problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

LizRR 01-18-2013 10:22 PM

Lynnie - I think that is an old sheet. All color peppers are 'approved' - this topic has come up several times before. Phase 3 is just like Phase 2 except for the breakfast...and Phase 2 is just like Phase 1 except for the protein at lunch!

Mailie - please share whatever you submit to the registry! You are such a shining example to all of us and I enjoy each of your posts!

Ishbel - I think I've told you how much I love you right? I still remember when you hit goal (along with Busymom) when I started IP and you were my thinspiration! I hope your behind is getting better...congrats on 9 months!!!

greeniris 01-18-2013 10:58 PM

I also had all colors of bell peppers all through P1, as well as Poblano & Jalapeno peppers sometimes. Enjoy your cruise Lynnie!

Went back to the dr to have my knee looked at again. Having pain on/off, and last night it was pretty bad. Took xrays today, but they want to do an MRI. Expecting to have that done later next week. Sooo, cannot do any exercises involving my legs; upper body only - this will cut down on my time at the gym. He thinks it's an injury to the medial meniscus cartiledge. I'm not gonna worry about it until we know for sure.

I've noticed I'm not getting enough veggies in every day, so going to dig up some recipes this weekend. Was so much easier to get the veggies in during summer months. I'm not a big fan of salads in cold weather; this is homemade soup time of year! Maile - I copied your recipe for parmesan zucchini chips. Just so happens I have a zucchini in the fridge that needs to be used up asap :D Thank you for sharing:)

Maile 01-19-2013 09:43 AM

Greeniris: That is too bad about your knee. Good luck with the doctor. I hope you like the chips. We make them often. I miss the summer vegetables also..especially tomatoes. Have you tried roasting vegetables in the oven?

Lizzy63: Thanks for your support on my mom. She moves next Friday. Good luck on your big job interview. You are wise to realize that stress can bring back old habbits.

Lizr: I will definitely share any article when I get around to sending it.
I was re-reading the info on that site. I still am amazed that 90 percent of maintainers exercise an hour each day. They also watch less than 10 hours of tv a week. There go my football games..LOL.

greeniris 01-19-2013 11:37 AM

Maile - I do roast some veggies in the oven; just did cauliflower the other day. Love roasted asparagas too, but it's so darn expensive this time of year.

Lizzy63 - I forgot to wish you good luck on your upcoming interview, so GOOD LUCK! Is it with the company you currently work for?

evepet 01-19-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeniris (Post 4596912)
I also had all colors of bell peppers all through P1, as well as Poblano & Jalapeno peppers sometimes. Enjoy your cruise Lynnie!

Went back to the dr to have my knee looked at again. Having pain on/off, and last night it was pretty bad. Took xrays today, but they want to do an MRI. Expecting to have that done later next week. Sooo, cannot do any exercises involving my legs; upper body only - this will cut down on my time at the gym. He thinks it's an injury to the medial meniscus cartiledge. I'm not gonna worry about it until we know for sure.

I've noticed I'm not getting enough veggies in every day, so going to dig up some recipes this weekend. Was so much easier to get the veggies in during summer months. I'm not a big fan of salads in cold weather; this is homemade soup time of year! Maile - I copied your recipe for parmesan zucchini chips. Just so happens I have a zucchini in the fridge that needs to be used up asap :D Thank you for sharing:)

If you find any good 'winter soup' recipes please share. Like you these cold, snowy days make me want a hot bowl of soup or stew. As I said in the 'Fab at 50+ Thread' I hope your knee situation is soon resolved, and you're able to enjoy that gym membership.

Maille - I copied your Parmesan Zucchini Chip recipe too. Really looking forward to it in maintenance.

And speaking of Maintenance - I may do my 'Phase Out Round 2' and hit Maintenance again a bit sooner than expected. I found out today that I fit into a pair of slim fitting jeans that I last wore about 10 years ago. I was so excited to fit into them that I took my picture and came out of hiding. I'm wearing them in the picture. In my mind, being able to wear these slim-fitting jeans has always equated with my reaching my goal. So I've now decided to re-think my goal weight (Again!) and evaluate things when I hit 150lbs. That will give me a bit more room for a cushion, and my absolute 'ceiling' would then be 155lbs. I believe losing an additional 4 lbs, plus overall toning will produce the result I want.

BTW, I've been doing vibracize and already feel firmer. Anyone else here doing vibracize?

Cheers everyone. Hope you're all having a great Saturday.

lisa32989 01-19-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeniris (Post 4596912)
Went back to the dr to have my knee looked at again. Having pain on/off, and last night it was pretty bad. Took xrays today, but they want to do an MRI. Expecting to have that done later next week. Sooo, cannot do any exercises involving my legs; upper body only - this will cut down on my time at the gym. He thinks it's an injury to the medial meniscus cartilidge. I'm not gonna worry about it until we know for sure.

I've noticed I'm not getting enough veggies in every day, so going to dig up some recipes this weekend. Was so much easier to get the veggies in during summer months. I'm not a big fan of salads in cold weather; this is homemade soup time of year! Maile - I copied your recipe for Parmesan zucchini chips. Just so happens I have a zucchini in the fridge that needs to be used up asap :D Thank you for sharing:)

You can shred that zucchini and freeze. I do it all the time. I chop & freeze bell peppers before they go bad to use in omelets & veggie stir-fries.

RE knee: :goodvibes sending good vibes that it is something easy to fix with some PT, most of which can be done at home (you and I could schedule our PT exercises and "do together," 500 miles apart!). Until they figure it out, ice is your friend (she says from LOTs of experience!)

Momto2cs 01-19-2013 05:04 PM

Hi maintainers

I just wanted to say hi! I got back from Vegas on Thursday night and am settling back into a phase 2 kind of diet. I am up 4 pounds from my normal high, or about 8 from my usual.

I have also joined the precision nutrition lean eating program. I'm hoping to have a more food based diet by the end of the year, and to lose a little more fat and gain some muscle. I like ip, but feel I should find away to eat without packets!

Hope everyone is doing well post holidays!