3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat Friday 11/30/2012 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270771-ip-daily-chat-friday-11-30-2012-a.html)

Lizzy63 11-30-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyof3girls (Post 4543387)
Good morning and happy Friday! Still plugging along 100%. I have to keep telling myself slow and steady wins the race:) I am done 1.6lbs this week and finally into the 40s.

I have not been on the boards lately with Thanksgiving, a funeral, trying to pack up to move, decorating for Christmas and homeschooling, so this maybe on here some where. Does anyone have any suggestions of finger foods to take to a party, besides a veggie tray?

I agree with evepet. My choice would be chilled shrimp w/ a low carb cocktail sauce (Heinz no sugar added ketchup, a little horseradish, and a bit of lemon juice).

DezD 11-30-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debrasb (Post 4543526)
WI was this morning -- down 2.6 pounds this week. Definitely better than last week, so I'm pleased!! I had cut out all restricted veggies and packets this week, so now I just need to figure out if that mattered :-)

In celebration--I posted a new IP recipe for indian spiced chicken with garam masala. Enjoy! unlimitedlettuce.blogspot.com

I have been doing something similar. I only have a restricted item when i feel like I would otherwise cheat. I originally started the diet for a different reason than to just lose weight. My body doesn't digest carbs correctly and the result, even with a very healthy calorie controlled diet and plenty of exercise is that I bloat and gain weight.

Because of this I was not willing to spend all that money on packets if they contained a higher than minimal carb count, because I knew it would not be as effective. Over all the diet works well as long as I stick to it. When I tried to phase off the diet after reaching my goal (earlier this year) the weight came back quickly, unless I limited the carbs to just an extra 15 or 20 grams a day. Which typically amounted to one bonus item a day of a complex carb like homemade oatmeal or a slice of high protein bread.

lisa32989 11-30-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DezD (Post 4543700)
I have been doing something similar. I only have a restricted item when i feel like I would otherwise cheat. I originally started the diet for a different reason than to just lose weight. My body doesn't digest carbs correctly and the result, even with a very healthy calorie controlled diet and plenty of exercise is that I bloat and gain weight.

Because of this I was not willing to spend all that money on packets if they contained a higher than minimal carb count, because I knew it would not be as effective. Over all the diet works well as long as I stick to it. When I tried to phase off the diet after reaching my goal (earlier this year) the weight came back quickly, unless I limited the carbs to just an extra 15 or 20 grams a day. Which typically amounted to one bonus item a day of a complex carb like homemade oatmeal or a slice of high protein bread.

Have you tried a gluten-free diet? Many people find it is the gluten. If you have not read Wheat Belly, you can go to Dr. Davis' blog and get the main info there about WHY gluten has become such an increased problem than ever before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4543691)
Generally, Atkins products are WAY too high in fat to be good for IP. That's one key difference between IP and Atkins, IP is low fat where Atkins does not restrict fat.

I'm hoping this can be more of a focus in my maintenance plan. There are some foods I just can't eat but I've not had a problem with fats (once I get my weight back in check). It is those pesky carbs that pack the lbs on me.

DezD 11-30-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4543734)
Have you tried a gluten-free diet? Many people find it is the gluten. If you have not read Wheat Belly, you can go to Dr. Davis' blog and get the main info there about WHY gluten has become such an increased problem than ever before.

I'm hoping this can be more of a focus in my maintenance plan. There are some foods I just can't eat but I've not had a problem with fats (once I get my weight back in check). It is those pesky carbs that pack the lbs on me.

I have tried gluten free. Even fruits are my enemy. I have some nasty bacteria that have taken up residency in my intestines for the past 8 years and the only way to keep the bacteria level low is to cut all carbs.

lisa32989 11-30-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DezD (Post 4543752)
I have tried gluten free. Even fruits are my enemy. I have some nasty bacteria that have taken up residency in my intestines for the past 8 years and the only way to keep the bacteria level low is to cut all carbs.

Oh man! That is tough indeed. Are you sure it is bacteria? Could it be candida?
Have you gone thru tests? I know this stuff is SO hard to pinpoint and finding a good natropath is tough in some areas (even in a metro area the size where I live!). I KNOW conventional medicine docs aren't good with that stuff.

DanafromAustin 11-30-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightbe (Post 4543585)
Oh good lord, the office girls brought in a huge costco cake for my birthday :dizzy: I love that they thought of me, but a cake, really?!? So I cut a piece to save for later.....in all reality that sucker is hitting the garbage the second I figure nobody will notice!!! :lol:

I'm sure they meant well, but they had to notice that you've lost a lot of weight. Oh well, I love your solution to the problem. :bday2you:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sweet4u (Post 4543682)
Good morning everyone! Woke up to a lovely -34 at the house today...brrrr....gonna make for a lovely weekend :(

Quick question, do any of you dring the Atkins Advantage shakes? They say 15g protein, 1g sugar, 160 cals, and 2 carbs. ? Do you think these are ok for the IP alternative?

Check the fat content because Atkins isn't a low fat diet like IP is.

Great Dane 11-30-2012 02:18 PM

Speaking of palates changing, I used to love the IP chili. (not that I've eaten more than maybe 4 since I started though) Hadn't had it in a few months and this morning? YUCK!!! Could barely eat it! I don't WI this coming week until Tuesday giving me an additional day to lose .1 lb. Hoping for more than my last couple of weeks puny losses! At least my weight is still going down hill. Any more plateaus and I'm not sure how I'll have to mix things up for better results!! Please tell me again why I can't just eat my 2C of celery sticks over a 2 hour period instead of 1??? So much easier to snack on them from 7:30 to 9:30 am than it is to shove them all down at 5:30 am!!

cbl70 11-30-2012 02:54 PM

Hello IPeeps,
I had my first WI since moving to Phase 4 two weeks ago. Down another LB (!)...even with the Thanksgiving holiday and a few parties. I enjoyed myself over the last weekend but didn't go crazy. Still eating pretty much Phase 3 ish except for my "treat" meals.
Have a great OP weekend!

lisa32989 11-30-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Dane (Post 4543797)
Speaking of palates changing, I used to love the IP chili. (not that I've eaten more than maybe 4 since I started though) Hadn't had it in a few months and this morning? YUCK!!! Could barely eat it! I don't WI this coming week until Tuesday giving me an additional day to lose .1 lb. Hoping for more than my last couple of weeks puny losses! At least my weight is still going down hill. Any more plateaus and I'm not sure how I'll have to mix things up for better results!! Please tell me again why I can't just eat my 2C of celery sticks over a 2 hour period instead of 1??? So much easier to snack on them from 7:30 to 9:30 am than it is to shove them all down at 5:30 am!!

Who said they have to be within 1 hour? :dunno::rolleyes:

mightbe 11-30-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanafromAustin (Post 4543796)
I'm sure they meant well, but they had to notice that you've lost a lot of weight. Oh well, I love your solution to the problem. :bday2you:

LOL, one of the other girls finally asked them what they were thinking and they gave her the strangest look, I don't think it ever dawned on them that I wouldn't eat it!
Thank you for the birthday wishes! :hug:

Quote:

I say eat it whenever you want to! :D

DezD 11-30-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4543761)
Oh man! That is tough indeed. Are you sure it is bacteria? Could it be candida?
Have you gone thru tests? I know this stuff is SO hard to pinpoint and finding a good natropath is tough in some areas (even in a metro area the size where I live!). I KNOW conventional medicine docs aren't good with that stuff.

Yes definitely not candida. I was tested after each course of medication. The bacteria would only increase over time. When I cut out auger altogether, the bacteria went away. But within a couple of days of eating regular it came back. It is the usual intestinal bacteria but its in the small intestines instead of the large. So instead of helping to break down waste, it digests the food before it get absorbed and causes all kinds of bloating, pain and deficiencies. Without the carbs the bacteria starves and dies. So a low carb diet keeps the numbers low and the symptoms less.

lisa32989 11-30-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DezD (Post 4543861)
Yes definitely not candida. I was tested after each course of medication. The bacteria would only increase over time. When I cut out auger altogether, the bacteria went away. But within a couple of days of eating regular it came back. It is the usual intestinal bacteria but its in the small intestines instead of the large. So instead of helping to break down waste, it digests the food before it get absorbed and causes all kinds of bloating, pain and deficiencies. Without the carbs the bacteria starves and dies. So a low carb diet keeps the numbers low and the symptoms less.

What a bummer! I'm such a whole-food solution girl. Do beneficial bacterial help? Things like homemade saurkraut, kimchee, kombucha, all with the live cultures? I'm just trying to learn more here...it sounds like a very problematic issue but luckily you have found the course of action that works!

smartypi 11-30-2012 03:53 PM

I'm so happy with the IP Diet. I'm excited to have lost 25 lbs. but more importantly my fasting glucose levels and cholesterol are now normal!

Losing weight is terrific but knowing that I am lowering my risk of heart disease and diabetes is even better.

2sweet4u 11-30-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Really? thats a rule? I didn't know that one! If I am having a really bad day, i usually snack on celery/cucs all day long! hasn't hurt me yet, but my coach never mentioned it, but I never asked either!

scorbett1103 11-30-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sweet4u (Post 4543924)
Really? thats a rule? I didn't know that one! If I am having a really bad day, i usually snack on celery/cucs all day long! hasn't hurt me yet, but my coach never mentioned it, but I never asked either!

It's not a rule. Many coaches try to put their own "spin" on IP based on previous dieting experience but it generally has NOTHING to do with ketogenic diets in particular, just old diet tropes. When you get your 3 packets, 4 cups of veggies, and 8oz of protein in is totally dependent on what works best for YOU and YOUR BODY. Nothing else.