3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 7 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270748-fabulous-fifty-home-those-us-50-older-ip-volume-7-a.html)

lisa32989 12-02-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patns (Post 4545468)
Wow so much news to catch up on!!!

I have to run but wanted to say happy,happy, happy for Molly!!!!!

What I hated about going to the clinic was the expection you "had" to lose 2-3 pounds a week which is likely impossible at over 60. So I switched to alternatives and saved a bundle.

Molly, you say you are a slow loser too by IPA standards but 100 pounds in less than a year at 60+???That is totally mind blowing!!!

I'll bet very few doctors would be able to see that kind of success with the many patients they are concerned with who are in their 60s.

Of course Molly is barely in the 60+ group but what a tremendous thing you are doing for your ongoing health Molly. Just think how much harder your ongoing recovery with your foot would be at 100 pounds heavier!

WAY TO GO MOLLY!!!!

Pat

So, a couple weeks ago, my coach told me IP is taking the 3-5 lb/week claim OFF of all of the printed materials.
WE ARE NOT SLOW LOSERS!!!!
They are finally admitting this is not the norm :dance:

Lizzy63 12-02-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushyTailed (Post 4545509)
LOVE the idea of shopping in my closet -- made me chuckle. How great it must feel -- good

I'm just starting IP. Heard about it shortly before Thanksgiving, and started right after. It's gotten easier after the first 3 or 4 days. I'm pretty excited about it. Reading these threads has really been a motivator!

I see several of you mentioned the Omron scale. Guess I'll look into that. I have a good scale for just weight, but I LOVE the idea of tracking other things. Any particular model you all recommend?

Well, off to get things done.

Welcome Bushy Tailed! Are you bright eyed too??

I have the 514 model Omron, which is the one Rainbow and some others here recommended. Had it about a week, but love it so far. Measures body fat, muscle, visceral fat, resting metabolism, BMI, and even body age.

evepet 12-02-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy63 (Post 4545626)
Welcome Bushy Tailed! Are you bright eyed too??

I have the 514 model Omron, which is the one Rainbow and some others here recommended. Had it about a week, but love it so far. Measures body fat, muscle, visceral fat, resting metabolism, BMI, and even body age.

This morning mine finally told me that my Body Age is younger than my actual age! I started out with it showing 10 years older. Yay!

Lizzy63 12-02-2012 03:41 PM

Yeah!! That's great! When I last checked I was spot on my actual age, but who knows, since I'm still losing in phase 3, it would be nice to get below my actual age! We'll see what happens in the morning. The scale has been calling me and I checked just my weight this morning - it was down to 146.4.

Of course, I have no idea precisely how they arrive at this number, and they don't explain it very well in the instructions, but it would still make me feel good!

Halfagain 12-02-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy63 (Post 4545385)
How exciting - a new haircut to go with your new body! Please share pics! I love my short hair - so low maintenance - even though DH would prefer it longer.

New Pic complete :-) got the hair cut, and did the dark chocolate color. I know I will love this style. It's still a bit wet from the coloring, but I wanted to take it while it was still light outside. It should fluff up a bit more when all dry.

I stopped at the nail salon I used to go to (where I'd get acrylic nails because my nails were so brittle and peeled so much). Since doing IP and probably the added Purvana (hair/skin/nails biotin supplement) my nails are the best they have been in my entire life, even when I was a teen. I got a manicure and painted Fire Red! Some new thing - well new to me, called a gel nail color? The shop owners don't speak english well, so I'm not sure what the advantage is of it, but I was so happy not to get acrylic nails, I said sure.
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...gain/98lbs.jpg

joysh 12-02-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4545620)
So, a couple weeks ago, my coach told me IP is taking the 3-5 lb/week claim OFF of all of the printed materials.

Yay! I'm actually fine with losing just a little more slowly than some others. As impatient as I am, I think it's better for me. Of course, it's more expensive, but I feel better adjusting more gradually. Ok - we'll see how I feel after WI on Tuesday! I stayed the same last week after a 5 pound loss the week before. It's very erratic with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfagain (Post 4545696)
New Pic complete :-) got the hair cut, and did the dark chocolate color. I know I will love this style. It's still a bit wet from the coloring, but I wanted to take it while it was still light outside. It should fluff up a bit more when all dry.

Love the haircut and new picture! And nails too! Yay! I'm ready for my red Christmas nails. I need to get to a big city for that. Next weekend for me!

Lizzy63 12-02-2012 06:54 PM

Halfagain - love the new hair - you look FANTASTIC!

I think the gel polish is supposed to last longer, but honestly I'm not into doing my nails. I did get a pedicure when I lost my first 20 mostly because I wanted the pampering for my feet, but I did get the bright red polish.

BushyTailed 12-02-2012 07:28 PM

Joysh -- I'm not from Louisiana, I live in Southern California now. My husband is a mathematician, so whole different set of people. My sister-in-law used to teach piano. She still performs but doesn't teach anymore. Do you have an instrument that you specialize in? Or maybe voice? Anyway, I love your progress photos. What a difference!

Thanks, Dana, for the link to the Omron scale. That looks so cool. I love gadgets and have been looking at it. The Omron web page lets you download the PDF of the instruction manual (how cool is that?) so I've been perusing.

I had a question, PatNS, about your post. You said that your scale gave your maintenance calories amount was 1280. In the manual, it says the scale gives your resting metabolism; and that that is about 70% of your total metabolism. Is 1280 your resting metabolism? That is 70% of 1828 calories. I'm just curious if you all have found that it's better to aim for the "resting metabolism" and not include any extra. I'll understand it all better once I have the scale in my hands.

Hi, Lizzy. Yep, hope to be bright eyed AND bushy tailed. I wanted a login name that was sort of motivating. Like, "I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed and I'm going to do this." And as my weight tends to be in my hips, thighs, and rear, the "Bushy Tailed" part of it seemed kind of accurate.

I've ordered the scale. I can hardly wait to see how old it thinks I am. . .

HalfAgain: Fun, fun, fun new hairstyle and color. And I know I'd love the nails. I get acrylic because I'm hard on my nails and it's the only way for me to have any; but a friend gets gel and she loves it. Very shiny, color lasts well, and not as hard on your real nails as the acrylic. Let me know you like them. I'd like to try them some day -- just to see -- but my nail tech doesn't do gel.

Hope everyone has a great next week!!

DanafromAustin 12-02-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

I stopped at the nail salon I used to go to (where I'd get acrylic nails because my nails were so brittle and peeled so much). Since doing IP and probably the added Purvana (hair/skin/nails biotin supplement) my nails are the best they have been in my entire life, even when I was a teen. I got a manicure and painted Fire Red! Some new thing - well new to me, called a gel nail color? The shop owners don't speak english well, so I'm not sure what the advantage is of it, but I was so happy not to get acrylic nails, I said sure.

You look GREAT!!! I was getting the gel nail color and loved it, but unfortunately for me my cuticles hated it. They would swell up and become really painful. I think I'm allergic to some chemical that's in the product and the same thing happened to me when I tried the acrylic nails. The gel nail polish doesn't ruin your nails like the other overlays do, but still allergic to it. I even googled my issue and found I was far from alone in this problem. Oh well, now I just treat myself to a pedicure once a month instead.

rainbowsmiles 12-02-2012 08:49 PM

just a quick pop in cause i was surely missing everyone!!!!!
i'm back home safe and sound....until the weekend again...

sorry i could not find any time to post this weekend while away at family time. i didn't even take my laptop because i knew i would be so busy!!

will catch up tomorrow...have to unpack and do loads of laundry now!!

but JUST HAD TO GIVE 2 SHOUT OUTS!!!!!!!!!

MOLLY....OMG!!!! 100 POUNDS GONE...YOU DID IT GIRLFRIEND!!! i just knew you would!! i agree with everyone....YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!! and such a HUGE INSPIRATION to never ever ever give up or give in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:encore: :bravo: :cp: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer2:
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

BARB!!! OMG...i love love love love your new photo and you look 15 yrs younger!!!!!!!!!!!! love the hair love the new you, love the top!!! YOU JUST LOOK SO HAPPY AND FABULOUS!! i just heart you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE ELSE....I'M BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

evepet 12-02-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Wow - you look so much younger! Good job!

Halfagain 12-02-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joysh (Post 4545729)
Yay! I'm actually fine with losing just a little more slowly than some others. As impatient as I am, I think it's better for me. Of course, it's more expensive, but I feel better adjusting more gradually. Ok - we'll see how I feel after WI on Tuesday! I stayed the same last week after a 5 pound loss the week before. It's very erratic with me.

Love the haircut and new picture! And nails too! Yay! I'm ready for my red Christmas nails. I need to get to a big city for that. Next weekend for me!

Thank You! Here's to another great WI on Tuesday (raising my water glass your way) - I know what you mean about being impatient I used to have a mini goal to loose 3 a week, and I made that for quite a while, knowing it would slow down. I have had to modify my min-goal to be 2 a week, and I may well need to change that mini-goal at some point to less. My little charts and graphs setting goals really helps me focus on seeing where all this is leading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzy63 (Post 4545743)
Halfagain - love the new hair - you look FANTASTIC!

I think the gel polish is supposed to last longer, but honestly I'm not into doing my nails. I did get a pedicure when I lost my first 20 mostly because I wanted the pampering for my feet, but I did get the bright red polish.

Thank you! LOL I walked into the bathroom and had to do a double take seeing myself a few minutes ago. It's what I'm used to seeing in the mirror :-)
I like doing my nails, but I think DH likes me doing them more. He suggested I should start doing them again actually. I was surprised he even thought about it. The person doing the manicure even gave me a shoulder/arm/neck massage! Oh boy! I can get used to this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushyTailed (Post 4545772)
Thanks, Dana, for the link to the Omron scale. That looks so cool. I love gadgets and have been looking at it. The Omron web page lets you download the PDF of the instruction manual (how cool is that?) so I've been perusing.
Hi, Lizzy. Yep, hope to be bright eyed AND bushy tailed. I wanted a login name that was sort of motivating. Like, "I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed and I'm going to do this." And as my weight tends to be in my hips, thighs, and rear, the "Bushy Tailed" part of it seemed kind of accurate.

HalfAgain: Fun, fun, fun new hairstyle and color. And I know I'd love the nails. I get acrylic because I'm hard on my nails and it's the only way for me to have any; but a friend gets gel and she loves it. Very shiny, color lasts well, and not as hard on your real nails as the acrylic. Let me know you like them. I'd like to try them some day -- just to see -- but my nail tech doesn't do gel.

LOL on how you chose your name :-) I LOVE it! I can't do the fancy scale option, as I have a metal implant and at least from what I've seen they scale says it won't work quite right with that in there. I'll just do my normal scale and be envious of you all. Let us know how you like it when it comes. Thanks for the nice comments! I'll let you now how the gel things go. I have been amazed so far that I the nail tech was pressing warm wash cloths over them not that long after, and I didn't booger them up before I got home (unlike the old days I remember with just regular polish)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanafromAustin (Post 4545849)
You look GREAT!!! I was getting the gel nail color and loved it, but unfortunately for me my cuticles hated it. They would swell up and become really painful. I think I'm allergic to some chemical that's in the product and the same thing happened to me when I tried the acrylic nails. The gel nail polish doesn't ruin your nails like the other overlays do, but still allergic to it. I even googled my issue and found I was far from alone in this problem. Oh well, now I just treat myself to a pedicure once a month instead.

Thank you Dana! Great info on the nails. I remember getting painful cuticles with the acrylics before. I think they painted too close to them or something. So far, knock on wood, these haven't bothered me. I am very reactive to scented cloths soap or dryer sheets (get hives), so I hope these aren't something that will set me off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4545852)
I'm back home safe and sound....until the weekend again...

sorry i could not find any time to post this weekend while away at family time. i didn't even take my laptop because i knew i would be so busy!!

MOLLY....OMG!!!! 100 POUNDS GONE...YOU DID IT GIRLFRIEND!!! i just knew you would!! i agree with everyone....YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!!!!!!!!! and such a HUGE INSPIRATION to never ever ever give up or give in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

BARB!!! OMG...i love love love love your new photo and you look 15 yrs younger!!!!!!!!!!!! love the hair love the new you, love the top!!! YOU JUST LOOK SO HAPPY AND FABULOUS!! i just heart you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Welcome home Rainbow!! You were missed! Thank you for such sweet comments about the changes. I'm still getting used to them :-) but it was a very fun day. I'll have some fun at the work dinner coming up next week and surprise folks there for sure.

Halfagain 12-02-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evepet (Post 4545870)
Wow - you look so much younger! Good job!

:hug: Thank you!

Yesmyqueen 12-02-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo::w hoo::whoo:WOW!!!!!You look so good, way to go girl, looking so young. Makes me want to color my hair again, my DH doesn't want me to color, says he likes it o natural, but I'm not sure I do? But as for gel nails, you will love them, they last a long time, and
Way to go on red, tiz the season! Yes! Great job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4545852)
i'm back home safe and sound....until the weekend again...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE ELSE....I'M BAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yea rainbows back,we missed you!

Well I had a little slip up and I'm trying to just dust off and forget about it, I made a big batch of chex mix with pecans,cashews,walnuts and almonds and all the other stuff, any way it smelled soooo good and I had to stir every 15 minutes, well each time I stirred I ate one of each nut, UHGG so I figure that's probably 1/4 c of mixed nuts. So my fat for the day is up but at least it's not too bad on carbs and no sugar, so I'm going to forgive and forget!
I just got some more keto stixs on Friday and I am still in ketosis, I hadn't any stix for probably a month and curiosity got the better of me, so I was happy about that, how many of you guys use the stixs?

Well now that I've got all that out, I feel better, thanks to all of you, now off to bed after this football game! Goodnight all! Teena

patns 12-02-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4545620)

That is good news. Now is the clinics in my area would take it off the signs they all have out front to catch people's attention as they drive by!!