3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Reason behind lettuce, celery, and cukes? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270283-reason-behind-lettuce-celery-cukes.html)

laury411 11-20-2012 04:18 PM

Reason behind lettuce, celery, and cukes?

Can anyone explain the idea behind the unlimited, compulsory lettuce, celery, and cucumbers? I have not had any of these in the past several weeks, and I'm still losing. I didn't plan to not eat them, but my schedule is kind of whacked in that I'm lucky I get 3 packets, 4 c of veggies, and 8 oz of meat. I do get my water, though, and almost always get my vitamins.

lisa32989 11-20-2012 04:21 PM

The Phase 1 sheet says lettuce (only) is unlimited but not compulsory.
Some coaches seem to be changing the protocol and adding cukes & celery to unlimited and now I'm hearing making things compulsory???

laury411 11-20-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4534693)
The Phase 1 sheet says lettuce (only) is unlimited but not compulsory.
Some coaches seem to be changing the protocol and adding cukes & celery to unlimited and now I'm hearing making things compulsory???

My sheet states these are compulsory and unlimited. There are so many different protocols under the same diet, and I'm trying to sort through them all. Like I said, I'm losing weight, but I don't want to hurt my body. I would assume the reason behind it is to counteract hunger with foods that won't make you gain.

Momto2cs 11-20-2012 04:29 PM

I always had a cup of cucumbers as one of my 4 cups of veggies. It hasn't hurt me...

lisa32989 11-20-2012 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Laury411: Is this your sheet or is yours different?
This is the official IP Phase 1 Protocol Sheet
Lettuce (only) is listed as unlimited but it does not say it is compulsory

Attachment 43481

nobylspoon 11-20-2012 04:40 PM

My coach told me only lettuce was unlimited. It's both for filler and to help with digestion since our fiber intake isn't very high. For me, cucumbers are my primary veggie source. I usually eat 2 cups a day. I'm glad they are not "unlimited" or I would have to find more veggies easy for work, lol.

scorbett1103 11-20-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laury411 (Post 4534698)
My sheet states these are compulsory and unlimited. There are so many different protocols under the same diet, and I'm trying to sort through them all. Like I said, I'm losing weight, but I don't want to hurt my body. I would assume the reason behind it is to counteract hunger with foods that won't make you gain.

There is only ONE phase 1 protocol - but it becomes evident as you are on here longer that some coaches change the protocols themselves. In case the PDF doesn't work for you - here is a link from the Ideal Protein website for the most recent Phase 1 sheet, updated June of this year:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4448522-post13.html

THIS is the only sheet that needs to be followed. Anything else is somebody else's protocol.

MommaHen 11-20-2012 08:51 PM

Ha ha...I am glad cucumbers are not mandatory...I hate them!

lisa32989 11-20-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaHen (Post 4534901)
Ha ha...I am glad cucumbers are not mandatory...I hate them!

And I'm glad lettuce isn't. I don't hate it but I get sick of salads quickly!

benice 11-20-2012 10:05 PM

Compulsory unlimited just makes no sense. You would have to be eating those suckers all day every day. ;)

Hgamroth 11-20-2012 10:08 PM

My coach says ONLY lettuce is free. I count cukes and celery in my 4 cups.

laury411 11-20-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4534704)
Laury411: Is this your sheet or is yours different?
This is the official IP Phase 1 Protocol Sheet
Lettuce (only) is listed as unlimited but it does not say it is compulsory

Attachment 43481

I tried to copy and paste a shot of my paper, but have not been able to. Under my lunch and dinner, it says lettuce, celery,and cucumber to not count toward your vegetables, and are mandatory. From my weight loss standpoint they must not be mandatory for loss because I don't eat them.

scorbett1103 11-20-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laury411 (Post 4535013)
I tried to copy and paste a shot of my paper, but have not been able to. Under my lunch and dinner, it says lettuce, celery,and cucumber to not count toward your vegetables, and are mandatory. From my weight loss standpoint they must not be mandatory for loss because I don't eat them.

Sounds like your coach made their own paper, or are using old materials (though I can't find even old sheets that say celery and cucumber are unlimited). It's frustrating because the program has 25 years of research behind it, and it works as written. I find that there are a LOT of coaches out there that don't just trust the program.