Old 01-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #16  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I have been using green onions and leeks a LOT lately!
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 251/188/135

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks y'all! Just trying to get my head wrapped around before I commit.
aliboo723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/158/135

Height: 5'7

Question Sauted vs Baked

I'm having this discussion with my S/O. He wants to eat up to a cup of baked onion with his meat protein. I'm still a bit confused on what is acceptable. Can he cook the onion to a totally soft state? They are yummy that way, but has the chemical change occurred. Also can I cook them in a stir fry as long as I don't cook them to transparancy or brown them?
Thanks
Mindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Is it OK if our leeks brown in the oven? Mine did, I didn't get them out in time, should I have thrown them out?
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 232/177/145

Height: 5'5"

I missed browned/carmelized onions too. I used to be a personal chef, and many of my recipes start out with browning diced onions, carrots and celery (what the French call a mirepoix.) So, I did some experimenting to get close to the sweetness, savoriness, look and texture of the mirepoix:

Sauté diced celery and diced orange or yellow sweet bell pepper until edges are brown. Add sliced green onion and sauté a couple of minutes longer, just til tender. Add 1 tsp or more of Penzeys brand Foxpoint or Sunny Paris seasoning, and continue with your recipe. The browned celery and bell pepper give the green onion the look and flavor of carmelization, and the Foxpoint or Sunny Paris boosts the onion flavor. Foxpoint is a mixture of salt, dried shallots, chives, garlic, onion and green peppercorns. Sunny Paris is salt-free with shallots, chives, green peppercorns, basil, tarragon, chervil, bay leaf and dill.

I make up a batch and freeze it in ice cube trays or snack bags. I put it in my IP soups along with veggies and purees. I add it to the IP chicken patty and the chili, and the crepe to make a savory wrap.

Penzeys has retail stores in the US or you can order online and get their catalog at http://www.penzeys.com/. They have a huge variety of herbs, spices and seasoning blends, all very high quality. Some of my other favorites are Northwoods (great on kale chips), Tuscan Sunset (add a sprinkle to the IP omelet), Chili 3000, Arizona Dreamin', Greek (great on a cucumber, celery, green onion, cherry tomato salad), Bavarian (great on pork tenderloin), Chicago Steak Seasoning, Mitchell Street Steak Seasoning and Smoked Paprika.

Another sea salt blend with a mild onion flavor is Herbamare Original, available at Whole Foods. It's great on streamed or roasted vegetables or in the IP soups or omelet.
petchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by petchef View Post
I missed browned/carmelized onions too. I used to be a personal chef, and many of my recipes start out with browning diced onions, carrots and celery (what the French call a mirepoix.) So, I did some experimenting to get close to the sweetness, savoriness, look and texture of the mirepoix:

Sauté diced celery and diced orange or yellow sweet bell pepper until edges are brown. Add sliced green onion and sauté a couple of minutes longer, just til tender. Add 1 tsp or more of Penzeys brand Foxpoint or Sunny Paris seasoning, and continue with your recipe. The browned celery and bell pepper give the green onion the look and flavor of carmelization, and the Foxpoint or Sunny Paris boosts the onion flavor. Foxpoint is a mixture of salt, dried shallots, chives, garlic, onion and green peppercorns. Sunny Paris is salt-free with shallots, chives, green peppercorns, basil, tarragon, chervil, bay leaf and dill.

I make up a batch and freeze it in ice cube trays or snack bags. I put it in my IP soups along with veggies and purees. I add it to the IP chicken patty and the chili, and the crepe to make a savory wrap.

Penzeys has retail stores in the US or you can order online and get their catalog at http://www.penzeys.com/. They have a huge variety of herbs, spices and seasoning blends, all very high quality. Some of my other favorites are Northwoods (great on kale chips), Tuscan Sunset (add a sprinkle to the IP omelet), Chili 3000, Arizona Dreamin', Greek (great on a cucumber, celery, green onion, cherry tomato salad), Bavarian (great on pork tenderloin), Chicago Steak Seasoning, Mitchell Street Steak Seasoning and Smoked Paprika.

Another sea salt blend with a mild onion flavor is Herbamare Original, available at Whole Foods. It's great on streamed or roasted vegetables or in the IP soups or omelet.
Now that sounds good! Thanks for your input! Great way to keep it positive by looking for a solution!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #22  
IP Reboot: 01/06/17

S/C/G: 190.3/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I'll admit that I've cooked my onions from the very start of doing IP. I usually just cook them enough so they're soft. I don't eat them this way very often and I guess I'll never know if it's affected my weightloss, but I'm going to continue doing it.
starsandrockets is offline   Reply With Quote