Travelling on IP - lessons learned by a road warrior

You're on Page 2 of 6
Go to
  • Those were great tips. At Subway you can get the salad with vinegar and oregano sprinkled on it..Then add a WF salad dressing on top.
    I have also carried veges in a ziplock through the check in..no problem.
    In a crunch when traveling I ordered chicken caesar salad with no cheese, no croutons, no dressing..just used WF and lemon/ almost every restaurant has a caesar salad.
    Crispy cereal is great for breakfast!
  • So glad the tips are useful. Alma, I just snag some extra mustard packs at fast food places or lots of times convenience stores that sell hot dogs, etc. will have them. Also, I bought a small salt pepper shaker in the camping section at Wal Mart and put my sea salt and another spicy seasoning in it. Very effective.

Austin, are the soy packets the Tamari brand? Can we have the regular soy? I have been curious as that would be helpful if I can have some regular soy sauce.
    Some subways have packs of olive oil and red wine vinegar, but since red wine vinegar is a no no on phase 1, I normally just use a little oil and mustard or at a restaurant just lemon wedges on salad if I don't have a WF packet. Also, a little hot sauce on salad is a beautiful thing!!! LOL Of course, I collect and blog about hot sauce, so that's a natural thing for me to do, regardless!! lol

Also, does anyone have trouble with marinated chicken at restaurants? I avoid it if the menu says its been marinated, but I've been curious. Fajita meat at a mexican place would be awesome with grilled peppers!!!! lol

Have a great day everyone!
    Ken
  • Ken, thx! gonna use several of your suggestions! subway salads rock! also, read "bars" and thought you meant a real bar - like belly up to the bar!! Must be where I am right now(on vacation) and all of the bars around! hahaha
    I boiled and prepackaged all of my veggies for this trip (we drove). My hubby laughed at our cooler - full of RTD, veggies and btled water!!! A big difference from 4 months ago!
  • I'll put in a plug for Minimus (http://www.minimus.biz). They've been a great resource for travel sized everything, letting you order even just a single packet of something rather than a ginormous box that will take forever and an iron-will to get through. They carry all kinds of stuff, from laundry detergents to aspirin, tuna, and mustard. Maybe we can get them to carry some other IP stuff too.

I just got back from a long weekend at an all-inclusive in Mexico for a SCUBA trip. I am still relatively new (started IP in mid-September using only alternatives) and was a little worried that I might be overly fatigued with the low-cal diet during dives, which could be dangerous. So, I would just make sure I ate before and shortly after diving and did fine. I allowed myself to savor one bite of off-plan foods if they were truly unique to me, stayed out of the bars, and otherwise brought my IP subs and stayed on plan at the buffets. I only lost 1.5 pounds that week, but rarely felt that nagging "why me, it's not fair" whining that has derailed past weight loss attempts. I found the buffets MUCH easier to handle than trying to communicate special dietary requirements in a language I don't speak well and it allowed me to get in sufficient quantities of vegetables. So, overall I was pleased. I was a little frustrated with bar tenders at the pool that were really pushy on wanting me to have real drinks instead of sparkling water with lime. What if I were pregnant or an alcoholic? Fortunately, my husband has been incredibly supportive and would help me take the unwanted drink away so we could ditch it on the other side of the pool.

Thanks for the great travel suggestions. I am nervous about Thanksgiving, as we will be spending the holiday with my husband's family, who has never ever needed to be on a diet in their collective lives. Further, I'm not very trusting of them and likely won't want to share my diet attempt info with them. So, I guess I will be bringing enormous amounts of IP friendly veggies to share. I would do so much better staying at a hotel, but his family takes this as EXTREMELY insulting (that we wouldn't want to spend every waking minute with them.) ARGHH!! Any suggestions?
  • FFC, great job in Mexico and I agree about the buffet, even though I 've never trusted cooked veggies at a buffet. Just did salad bar offerings at places like that.
    As for Thanksgiving, if you're driving, you could pre-make a couple of your fav healthy dishes in advance, freeze them, and bring them in a cooler. That way you're staying true to plan and contributing to the feast. Other than that, I just use my "I've developed an allergy to fat-makes me swell up" line as a light hearted message. it normally works where I don't have to "make a stand". But I'll make a stand if needed. You could tell them they are your heroes and you want to look just like them! Or that their skinny healthyness has inspired you to want to improve your health. Flattery is never a bad thing!!! LOL
    Good luck!
    Ken
  • Thanks so much for the tips Ken!! My husband is a road warrior like you, and travels all over the world pretty regularly. He tried to do IP with me when I first started but found that he wasn't able to get many veggies in airports, where he has many a meal. I didn't even think about water bottles for shakes either. He did take bars with him and chili packets, but sometimes it just wasn't feasible.

Anyway I'm going to have him read your post to see if he can incorporate any of your ways to help him. Thanks again and good luck!!
  • According to my coach soy sauce is allowed, so it's just kikoman soy sauce packets that come with to-go chinese and sashimi. I also have gotten very adept at mixing mustard and tabasco-type hot sauces for a dipping sauce for grilled shrimp and seafood. I've been eating fajitas(omit the guac, cheese, and onions) at Mexican restaurants while on IP. Not being able to eat tex-mex in Texas is unthinkable. And i too got a container for salt and seasoning as the IP salt container was always leaking in my purse. And i got a collapsable measuring cup (1/2 c.) to keep with all my IP purse goodies.
  • Quote: Thanks for the great travel suggestions. I am nervous about Thanksgiving, as we will be spending the holiday with my husband's family, who has never ever needed to be on a diet in their collective lives. Further, I'm not very trusting of them and likely won't want to share my diet attempt info with them. So, I guess I will be bringing enormous amounts of IP friendly veggies to share. I would do so much better staying at a hotel, but his family takes this as EXTREMELY insulting (that we wouldn't want to spend every waking minute with them.) ARGHH!! Any suggestions?
    My suggestion, as a 55 year old who has been there and back a few times, is to set your boundaries with your relatives and then don't worry about it. Want to stay in a hotel while visiting? Just do it. Don't believe in sending Christmas presents year after year to adults that you don't know well enough to shop for? Then don't send them. Believe me, no matter how much you do for relatives because they expect it, they will talk about you behind your back anyway on some small issue you didn't even know you were insufficient about. Understand where your boundaries are and then love people from there. I think that's called terms of endearment. This is exactly what I did, and they haven't disowned me yet.
  • Quote: And I also pack a camping spork and just wash it when I'm done so I don't risk forgetting the disposables.
    This is important to remember. I got to a motel late one night and put my pudding mix into the coffee cup and OMG all I had was a coffee stirrer to eat with. Very interesting to say the least.

Quote: Can we have the regular soy? I have been curious as that would be helpful if I can have some regular soy sauce.

Fajita meat at a mexican place would be awesome with grilled peppers!!!! lol
    I have found Kikkoman All-Purpose Soy Sauce has 0 carbs and 10 cals. That is the only brand I've found with no carbs.

I do fajitas like that every so often. It's a great change from a grilled chicken salad. The servers always look at you strangely and some that English is their second language struggle with your order. LOL

You tips are great, Ken. And I thought I was a road warrior. Right now, all my traveling is for pleasure though (at least once or twice a month). I've even taken an electric skillet to a motel room and made pudding pancakes with WF syrup for breakfast.

Molly
  • Excellent tips whether travelling for days/weeks or just on the run all day long. Thank you!
  • Thanks for all the great add-on suggestions. This would be a good thread to keep alive since the holidays are coming and so many will be travelling. Love this forum for the collective wisdom of so many!!! And Austinlicous, I'll be in Austin and San Antonio this weekend/next week for business! I'm thinking fajitas now!!!!! LOL
    Have a great rest of the week, everyone!!!!
    Ken
  • Thanks for the suggestions and support for Thanksgiving!
  • Quote: I'll put in a plug for Minimus (http://www.minimus.biz). They've been a great resource for travel sized everything, letting you order even just a single packet of something rather than a ginormous box that will take forever and an iron-will to get through. They carry all kinds of stuff, from laundry detergents to aspirin, tuna, and mustard. Maybe we can get them to carry some other IP stuff too.
    Wow! lots of stuff there. WF packets (I was gonna ask where ppl got those), Arazona tea packets no aspertaime! Spend $20 and shipping is free! Defenitly using this sight to build my emergency IP kit. Thanks for the tip!
  • Bumping this for those of us traveling over Thanksgiving.
  • Another road trip down without cheating! Yea!!! Here's a couple more tips:

If veggies are an issue while you're travelling, and you don't have easy access to a grocery store, most drug stores (Walgreen's, CVS, big chains) sell dill pickles. If you're drinking enough water to flush the sodium, they're an easy way to score your veggies. And if they happen to carry sugar free sweet pickles (Mt. Olive and Vlasic), then all the better!!!!!

Sugar free jello cups don't have to be refrigerated and the same drug stores normally carry at least one flavor of the sugar free!! 10 calories and 1 carb per cup. Saves me!!!

Have a great weekend, IP peeps!!
    Ken