3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Exercise on Ideal Protein (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268366-exercise-ideal-protein.html)

zoological26 10-18-2012 01:34 PM

Exercise on Ideal Protein

Is anyone doing any exercise on IP like walking, Wii, the Gym?? just wondering if it will give more results thank you

ddpaddler 10-18-2012 03:28 PM

Exercise will probably not help your results and may actually backfire if you don't compensate for the extra calories you are burning. You will need energy from somewhere, if you don't replace what you burn, the energy will come from muscle breakdown. I do exercise ( usually running) regualrly, after a strenous workout, I make sure I have an extra protein packet. I waited 2-3 weeks after starting the program before I really went back to running. My body needed a chance to adjust.

scorbett1103 10-18-2012 04:22 PM

Exercise won't speed your losses - it may actually cause your losses to stall. But if you were someone that exercised before IP, after a few weeks you can go back to exercise for general fitness. Most people find they have to reduce the intensity of whatever they were doing before IP. In any case, if you decide to incorporate exercise you MUST add an extra packet within 1/2 hour of finishing, to give your body the necessary fuel to recover.

Momto2cs 10-18-2012 04:24 PM

As an obsessive exerciser who often has small losses even strictly op, my advice is if you haven't already been doing it wait until you are close to your goal weight to start. Ip alone works wonders for weight loss. Exercise only helps for toning.

maezy1 10-18-2012 04:44 PM

I was told very light exercising, the second I feel it in my muscles, stop. If I life weights then no more than 2x a week and no more that 5lb weights. Every time you push yourself on exercise instead of burning fat you burn muscle and tear muscle tissues which is the opposite of what you want to do!

Fishette 10-18-2012 07:27 PM

Heavy weights with very slow movements for 30 minutes a week are recommended with IP, just as long as you don't get your heartbeat up. I have been doing heavy weights every Friday after about the 3rd week, and I have an extra non-restrictive right afterward. I believe it helped me get over a stall. I pick a weight that is so heavy that I can only do 6-8 reps at a very slow pace and then I can't move another inch, then move on to another exercise.

sstw1 10-18-2012 07:40 PM

So is bike riding, at a moderate rate, ok to do? I'm in my first week, and was exercising previously.

Fishette 10-18-2012 08:12 PM

Sstw1: As long as you keep your heartbeat very low, especially for the first few weeks. I've read many posts from folks who have stalled out because of cardio type exercises. I don't do them myself, but others have had more success after a few weeks into it.

Maezy1 After I started the heavy slow weights, I have grown lean body mass while also loosing fat mass. Right now my lean body mass is several pounds more than when I started IP. Before I started the weights, my lean body mass dropped every week. After it dropped by 4 pounds, I figured I needed to stop that decline so I added the weights.

JohnP 10-18-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maezy1 (Post 4501905)
I was told very light exercising, the second I feel it in my muscles, stop. If I life weights then no more than 2x a week and no more that 5lb weights. Every time you push yourself on exercise instead of burning fat you burn muscle and tear muscle tissues which is the opposite of what you want to do!

Except for the "light exercising" this has no basis in reality. Not trying to be a jerk you were just told wrong. Very, very wrong. Lifting a 5lb dumbell is a waste of time and does nothing. Do you consider lifting a gallon of milk out of the fridge to be exercise? Also - muscle tearing has nothing to do with fat burning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishette (Post 4502046)
Heavy weights with very slow movements for 30 minutes a week are recommended with IP, just as long as you don't get your heartbeat up. I pick a weight that is so heavy that I can only do 6-8 reps at a very slow pace and then I can't move another inch, then move on to another exercise.

This is a great way to retain muscle. Low volume, high weight. Once a week. Just a minor point - it doesn't matter if you lift heavier weight faster or less weight slower the key is work the muscle hard with low volume.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstw1 (Post 4502058)
So is bike riding, at a moderate rate, ok to do? I'm in my first week, and was exercising previously.

Yes. Intensity and duration is important. Less intense and lower duration.

southern 10-18-2012 08:56 PM

One month in and plan on adding back weight lifting. I'm not in it for quicker losses, but for a change in appearance and physique

guess i'll be adding that extra packet

chrismprice 10-18-2012 09:58 PM

I walk two miles a night at a slow pace which seems to help with my overall well being without being detrimental.

AnnaBoBanna 10-18-2012 10:08 PM

It's killing me, I want to zumba so bad!

JohnP 10-18-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna (Post 4502204)

I don't see how occasional zumba would be a problem. There are two reasons exercise is problematic on a low calorie low carb diet.

#1 is cortisol and while zumba might be intense enough to break a serious sweat you are having so much fun doing it I just don't see how 1-2 times a week would be a problem.

The key issue with exercise is recovery. When on reduced calories recovery is difficult and if your body is used to zumba your body doesn't need to make musclular adapations to recover - just replentish any glycogen which again 1-2 times a week shouldn't be an issue.

scorbett1103 10-19-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna (Post 4502204)

So do it! Just have your extra packet ready :) If you find you still hit a stall try having 1/2 a restricted bar about an hour before you go to give your body something to burn. The biggest issue folks have with exercise is that they aren't compensating for it with more food, thinking that exercise will speed up losses.

djs06 10-19-2012 09:17 AM

I was really into swimming before IP but I found that it REALLY stalls my losses. So for now I stick to yoga, which I love. I'm going to add in some weight lifting and play with the wii fit when I feel like I have some energy to burn. I figure I will start swimming once or twice a week again in a few weeks and then use it as a big part of my maintenance plan, but that's down the road.