3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Worried about too much water (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268002-worried-about-too-much-water.html)

slow2lose 10-12-2012 07:37 PM

Worried about too much water

While water is a big part of the program how much is too much? The IP booklet has check marks for 10 glasses per day plus we are supposed to have one with each coffee or tea we have. That means some days I have 13-14 glasses a day - is that OK for the kidneys?

Some days I have 2 coffees in the morning and 2 teas at night.

What are your thoughts? I often wonder too if I need as much - I'm 5 feet tall and 118 pounds - do I need as much as a 6 foot tall man that could weigh 100 pounds more than me - or is he supposed to have even more water??

scorbett1103 10-12-2012 07:41 PM

It's fine for your kidneys to drink that much water. We tax our kidneys a little on this diet anyway, so the water serves to keep things flushed, among other things. 14 glasses per day is 112 oz - even a full gallon per day (128 oz) isn't going to harm you if you are drinking throughout the day. Just don't try to do all 14 glasses in one sitting :)

slow2lose 10-12-2012 07:44 PM

Another question - why do we need to drink more water with coffee or tea? ESP if coffee is a diuretic??

scorbett1103 10-12-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow2lose (Post 4496348)
Another question - why do we need to drink more water with coffee or tea? ESP if coffee is a diuretic??

BECAUSE coffee and caffeinated tea are diuretics. They flush water OUT of your system faster than your body can make use of it. You actually lose extra water weight better when you're well hydrated.

JohnP 10-12-2012 08:01 PM

It's not your kidneys you have to worry about it is your bodies electrolite balance. Too much water can certainly be bad for you.

That said I doubt 14 glasses is too much but I also think it is far more than needed.

slow2lose 10-12-2012 08:01 PM

THANKS very much - I never understood that. :-)

slow2lose 10-12-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4496365)
It's not your kidneys you have to worry about it is your bodies electrolite balance. Too much water can certainly be bad for you.

That said I doubt 14 glasses is too much but I also think it is far more than needed.

Thanks John!! Well the fact I'm not gonna be on the program for a very long time means I'm not overly concerned about it. I'll the rules. :-)

scorbett1103 10-12-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4496365)

That's why there is also a salt intake requirement on Phase 1 of IP.