3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Migraines? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/267476-migraines.html)

djs06 10-03-2012 07:49 PM

Migraines?

Hey everyone. I have had two "migraines" (in quotations because I'm not sure they are actually migraines, but it sure seems like it from the symptoms) in my month on IP. Before IP, I had never had one. Could be a coincidence, but I'm wondering f this happened to anyone else? It doesn't seem to be triggered by anything specific... I suddenly just get weird blurred vision for about 30 minutes, followed by extreme sensitivity to light and a lingering headache.

scorbett1103 10-03-2012 07:50 PM

Are you getting enough salt? That's usually the easiest to rule out with headache/dizziness. Try licking some off your hand or dissolving in water and chugging it down (gross, but it worked for me).

seabiscuit 10-03-2012 08:08 PM

Hi,

I have never done Ideal Protein, I just happened to see your post on the latest forum posts page, but I have had migraines too. I think there could possibly be a connection between nutrition and headaches or at least some people seem to think that. I have had the light sensitivity and visual disturbances too which is really difficult to deal with.

Personally, I recommend seeing a doctor about this, maybe even a neurologist would help you. I am seeing a neurologist soon about my migraines.

There is a book called Heal Your Headache by David Buccholz which my neurologist recommended to me before he retired, which is informative, I have started it.

Good luck, please take care.

Amy

EPAPRN 10-04-2012 06:10 AM

I have migraines, since adolescence. Classic vs Common - there are different kinds. Usually one sided, visual or hearing disturbance, sometimes numbness and tingling on one side of the face. Nausea, light and sound sensitivity.

Sometimes I just get 'bad' headaches from lack of sleep, caffeine, emotional stress. Usually with the migraine I have a visual aura and it is centered in one area of my head and I feel sick to my stomach and noises tend to bother me.

'Bad' headaches have generalized pain all over my head and it just HURTS, but no other symptoms.

I had 'bad' headaches during the first week on IP. Haven't had either a 'bad' headache or a migraine since after the first week.

Migraine triggers - MSG, TOM, severe emotional stress

lisa32989 10-04-2012 07:29 AM

I have had migraines since childhood and I could have written what EPARIN wrote. djs06,it sounds like you may be describing an aura, which is the beginning of a classic migraine, however I would recommend having it diagnosed.

The only thing I'd add to what EPARIN said is to find a neurologist who specializes in migraines. Neurologists have specialties and you really need one who knows what is going on.

Personally, I did fine the first 2 months on IP with zero migraines but the last two weeks have been difficult. I am back on my daily migraine meds. MSG is a HUGE migraine trigger for me, and so is aspartame, so I was hoping I'd be okay on IP. Splenda hasn't caused me a problem before but I'm consuming more now (it and other art sweeteners are in the packets) so now I need to pay more attention to additives.

Don't ignore this. It could be a sign of sensitivity (I hope not...this diet is really working!)

djs06 10-04-2012 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone!

I don't really think it's the salt, but I'll add a little more in case. I also don't see how it could be directly related to the diet, but you're right that maybe there is some sensitivity, Lisa. When I looked it up it seemed like the aura. The pain wasn't anything like I've heard about migraines; it was there, but the most distressing part was the vision thing. My gf was convinced that it is blood sugar related (my glucose was a bit high in my last test and family history of diabetes, but I don't see how that would be happening now on this diet, and I have no other symptoms. I guess I should get that checked out too at the doctor, though).

I'll make an appointment with my GP and get checked out/a referral if needed.

Seabiscuit, I hope the neurologist helps you out! EAPRN and Lisa, I hope that you find some relief soon... thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

sweetsloan 10-04-2012 11:04 AM

I have migraines, since adolescence, I am happy to report that since I have been on IP protocol July 1, I have not had a single Migraine!!