Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #196  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Exactly, but she (or others) might not backtrack since you just answered her question.
That was meant more as a general suggestion to anyone who might be reading.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #197  
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Height: 5'7"

I've noticed that some people have a local health store (not Walmart) where they buy some of their alternatives. I'm assuming these products are like Protodiet, Proto-Thin, and/or other similar brands.

If I wanted to try and find some of the products locally, what type of store should I look for? I'm trying to figure out what to google.

Is it like a GNC? A Fruitful Yield type store (if you know what that is)? Herbal store?

Thanks!

Last edited by rubygirl05; 04-02-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #198  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl05 View Post
I've noticed that some people have a local health store (not Walmart) where they buy some of their alternatives. I'm assuming these products are like Protodiet, Proto-Thin, and/or other similar brands.

If I wanted to try and find some of the products locally, what type of store should I look for? I'm trying to figure out what to google.

Is it like a GNC? A Fruitful Yield type store (if you know what that is)? Herbal store?

Thanks!
A few options:
- stores that sell bodybuilding supplements
- stores that sell products for bariatric patients
- stores listed under "diet and nutrition"
Old 04-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #199  

Default I'm asking for help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
i have tried so many puddings...and they mostly all at yuk!! does this one have a strong taste like the IP puddings?? i even tried the dixie dinner one and didn't like it! oh well, i keep searching!!
I have a question and it's not necessarily about the puddings as it is in general about all the products. I am a creature of habit and feel that if I am to teach myself to eat right that I need the comfort foods like Rainbowsmiles makes to help me along and keep my diet going longer. Is this going to hurt me in the long run? Like I am only in week 3, 1st week I lost 6lbs, 2nd week 8lbs and will weight again Thursday. I feel that this week making all these alternative meals such as making soups out of my veggies is making me feel fatter and afraid that I haven't lost as much weight. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I love your receipes! Thanks for taking the time to do this for everyone!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 191/138/142

Height: 5' 7

All the paperwork I have read say it is strongly recommended to avoid restricted foods for the first 3-4 weeks in Phase 1....this is why I was avoiding them.

BTW, thanks for the net carbs explanation, it def helps!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #201  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica6700 View Post
All the paperwork I have read say it is strongly recommended to avoid restricted foods for the first 3-4 weeks in Phase 1....this is why I was avoiding them.

BTW, thanks for the net carbs explanation, it def helps!
If that's the case, those are your clinic's own recommendations, not part of Ideal Protein's plan. IP is designed for you to have one restricted item per day. Unfortunately, there are clinics that attempt to "tweak" the system, presumably to try and increase the losses - however that is based on conventional dieting ideas, and IP is not like other diets in the way it works with your body chemistry.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 191/138/142

Height: 5' 7

Good to know....thanks so much!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #203  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Should also clarify from an earlier post...the soy nuts (bbq and garlic&onion) are low carb, but higher in fat which is why they are considered restricted.

The soy puffs (chocolate, peanut butter, apple cinnamon and lemon) are restricted because of the carb count.

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 04-03-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #204  

S/C/G: 275/269/145

Height: 6'0"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl05 View Post

Thanks!
I just started using teraswhey. They have many flavors sweetened with stevia but I use the Goat Whey Plain (The other flavors are not . 2 scoops is 22gm PRO and 3 CARB. So I mix just 1 scoop with 1 cup skim milk for total 20gmPRO, 15gmCARB, and 1gmFAT. Tastes like glass of plain whole milk as shake makes it thicker. It is not chalky and has no additives except a little soy to prevent clumping.
I bought this at Whole Foods but I see that it is cheaper on amazon.

My body cannot tolerate artificial sweetners like Splenda, Equal or even Stevia which is supposed to be natural. I don't like the taste of these sweetners either. I feel fine 3 days in. I am going to weight watchers meetings for weigh in accountability and support.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #205  

oops I meant to say the other flavors of teraswhey are derived from regular cows milk.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #206  

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dube78941 View Post
I have a question and it's not necessarily about the puddings as it is in general about all the products. I am a creature of habit and feel that if I am to teach myself to eat right that I need the comfort foods like Rainbowsmiles makes to help me along and keep my diet going longer. Is this going to hurt me in the long run? Like I am only in week 3, 1st week I lost 6lbs, 2nd week 8lbs and will weight again Thursday. I feel that this week making all these alternative meals such as making soups out of my veggies is making me feel fatter and afraid that I haven't lost as much weight. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I love your receipes! Thanks for taking the time to do this for everyone!
Remember that the first few weeks of the diet you are burning up your body's glycogen stores in the liver and muscle. This also makes you lose water weight with the stores and potassium. Here is link to an article

http://www.justinowings.com/understa...d-glycogen-de/

Point being up to 11 pounds of initial weight loss is water weight and glycogen stores. So If you lost 14lbs in 2 weeks it is likely that only 3-5lbs of that was actual fat. And your weight loss from here may slow to 2+ lbs per week. So don't be discouraged if the weight loss slows, you are still losing fat. But when you get toward your goal realize that you will gain back those glycogen stores when you stop IP so you will gain back 10lbs of weight slowly after you go on maintenance.

Remember too that people with 100+ lbs to lose lose weight very quickly in the beginning and everyone's weight loss slows relative to their early success when then get close to their goal.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #207  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebear99 View Post
Remember that the first few weeks of the diet you are burning up your body's glycogen stores in the liver and muscle. This also makes you lose water weight with the stores and potassium. Here is link to an article

http://www.justinowings.com/understa...d-glycogen-de/

Point being up to 11 pounds of initial weight loss is water weight and glycogen stores. So If you lost 14lbs in 2 weeks it is likely that only 3-5lbs of that was actual fat. And your weight loss from here may slow to 2+ lbs per week. So don't be discouraged if the weight loss slows, you are still losing fat. But when you get toward your goal realize that you will gain back those glycogen stores when you stop IP so you will gain back 10lbs of weight slowly after you go on maintenance.

Remember too that people with 100+ lbs to lose lose weight very quickly in the beginning and everyone's weight loss slows relative to their early success when then get close to their goal.

Interesting.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #208  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Hey ladies, Can someone let me know what alternative is closest to IP's caramel crunch bars? Is there any from Nashua Nutrition too?

AND, is there a chocolate drink similar to IPs? I have been using Proti-thin hot chocolate.
TY! Maggie

Last edited by New Englander; 04-03-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #209  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtth View Post
I emailed Elite Protein Plus through Amazon and then talked to them on the phone. The read me the ingredients of the chocolate drink mix and it was almost identical to IP. A little more fiber was the only difference. I think I'm going to order a few things. They said their packaging is the same as IP so it is definitely more affordable. I will also check out your blog. thank you
Here is the link with nutritional info:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutritio.../ideal-protein

And here is a link to site with the Ideal Protein Nutritional sheets and some suggestions for alternatives:
http://diettalktoday.com/alternative...-drink-shakes/

Hope this helps
Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #210  

Default Suggestions for ideal protein alternatives please:)

Hi,
I started Ideal Protein in Jan. I lost 24 pounds in about 9/10 weeks. I recently stopped cold on account of the cost. I simply cant afford it and am not sure how I squeaked out that many weeks! I havent regained...YET...

I tried IP bc of a back injury. I have 2 slipped discs and am an RN. I gained 32 pounds with the second injury and needed to get rid of the weight to help the spasms stop. I attempt working out but continue to have numbing issues in my legs. Its lessened significantly so I planned on some physical training at my gym.

Some colleagues sent me a forum link suggesting products that were similar...

IP premixed shake vs EAS advantEdge carb control shake
calories: IP 100 EAS 110
Protein: IP 15G EAS 17G
Carbs: IP 4G EAS 4G
Sugar: none

the other was a bar
IP double choc vs Pure Protein choc deluxe
Calories: IP 150 PP 180
Carbs: IP 17G PP 17G
Fat: IP 4.5G PP 4.5G
Sugar IP 10G PP 2G

Unfortunately this is all that Ive heard of for alternatives and have no idea how comparable or effective they are.

Someone else had mentioned Nashua nutrition, specifically Protithin line. I havent purchased anything yet.

Please share any alternative advice you may have on products that have worked for you. I simply cant foot an IP any longer and moreso to gain any weight back://
Closed Thread