Old 09-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #1  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default How do you swallow those horse pills?

I picked up my starter kit to start IP on Monday and I have no freaking idea how I'm going to get those supplements down.

I have a really hard time swallowing pills and I have no idea how I'm going to do this.

Sigh.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #2  
Started IP: Sept 19/12

I've always had a hard time swallowing pills. I usually push it to the back of my throat lined up before I take a swig of water.

Last night (today is 2nd day of the diet) I almost lost it on one of the pills, but I survived. I think it'll take some practice.

You chould maybe try crushing it up and adding it to something, but I'm sure that would taste gross.
tunafish246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/198/145

Height: 5"8"

I am not going to kid, it is hard on some days. They are some of the biggest pills I've had to take. We have to drink an ocean of water each day, so I just keep trying until I can get them down with some water. Some days it takes a whole bottle. Other days it's easier. However, when I get on that scale and the numbers are lower, it's worth it.
dk8258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

For some reason the Potassium is the hardest for me. It's definitely a challenge to get them all down.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #5  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

when you take a pill, do not do what most people do, and tilt your head backwards, tilt your head forward and then swallow.

pills FLOAT...so when you tilt backwards, the pill floats on the water in your mouth, the water goes down and then the pill gets kinda stuck.

but if you tilt your head forward, the pill floats and is in the back of your mouth "behind" the water, and goes down first and then the water follows.

hope that makes sense. i learned this trick many years ago!!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #6  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

I found a replacement for the huge Omega 3 pills (especially since they are recommended but not required). I learned that krill provides a more absorbable form of Omega 3 so you only have to take 1 a day, plus the pills are half the size. I got mine from Costco.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #7  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Height: 5'5"

I have the same problem. It was one of my biggest concerns starting the program. This is how I do it...I take the multi vitamin whole but my coach said it would be OK to sprinkle it on my food. I cut the potassium in quarters with a pill splitter and I'm able to get those down Ok. With the Cal Mag, I crush them with a pill crusher I picked up at the drug store. (I tried smashing them but it didn't work.). I usually have pudding for my afternoon snack and I mix the crushed cal mag into it. It adds texture but I really can't taste the cal mag. That's it for the ones I'm taking. Hope that helps.
cbl70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Rainbow is correct in her pill-swollowing technique
Fishette - I like krill oil because I don't burp it like other Omegas

I am not glooooating, but I could swallow a horse. I can take a gigantic pill with no water and no problem. lol
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #9  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

My son is a gagger and has to take regular meds. Usually he just pushes them down his throat because he can't seem to use water (odd...) Anyway, someone gave us the tip to sip with a straw while taking the pills and that worked! I think it used different muscle groups or helped get his mind off it, or was more of the sucking action... whatever... it worked. Not sure if the SIZE of these puppies will make this a challenge, but there's my "tip of the day".... Nope, have another -- totally random -- to get hiccups to stop, drink water while someone plugs your ears for you. The change in pressure stops hiccups 100% of the time. THERE! NOW I'm done with my "random tip of the day"!

Last edited by IP43; 09-20-2012 at 09:42 PM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #10  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl70 View Post
I have the same problem. It was one of my biggest concerns starting the program. This is how I do it...I take the multi vitamin whole but my coach said it would be OK to sprinkle it on my food. I cut the potassium in quarters with a pill splitter and I'm able to get those down Ok. With the Cal Mag, I crush them with a pill crusher I picked up at the drug store. (I tried smashing them but it didn't work.). I usually have pudding for my afternoon snack and I mix the crushed cal mag into it. It adds texture but I really can't taste the cal mag. That's it for the ones I'm taking. Hope that helps.
Thanks for these tips, I think I'll be trying some of them - looks like you have the same struggles. Be nice if we could just eat foods with these supplements instead of having to take horse pills.

Thanks everyone for chiming in - glad to know it's not just me!
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #11  

I hate the potassium, always seems to get stuck. Then I get heart burn. Husband always makes fun of me taking my pills. I look like Jim Carey on Me Myself and Irene.... lol
Mandi85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #12  

Height: 5'7.5"

i have the same problem with the potassium pill. I find that it goes down easier with just a little bit of water instead of a full sip.
beckah12 is offline   Reply With Quote