3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   New study on sleep and obesity (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/266431-new-study-sleep-obesity.html)

IPdivajen 09-17-2012 10:16 PM

New study on sleep and obesity

Thought this was an interesting new study and thought I'd share.

And oh yeah, you might recognize someone in the video. ;)

http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/s...#family+health

Off to bed now - tomorrow is weigh in day!!! :carrot:

evepet 09-17-2012 10:24 PM

And who should I see in the video but...... IPdivajen. Looking great, btw. :)
Funny thing is that I heard the intro for that clip on Global News tonight at 5:30pm but for some reason wasn't in the living room while it aired... Otherwise I would have for sure seen you and posted something about it.

I'm off to bed now too. I definitely believe in the necessity of getting enough sleep - I'm a grouch without it.

stargirl66 09-17-2012 10:24 PM

Hey, I recognize that pretty lady, you and your husband look great!

I've heard of the correlation of obesity and lack of sleep, and I do agree that one affects the other. I rarely get the sleep I should. And on that note, I'm going to bed. Good luck with you WI tomorrow!

IPdivajen 09-18-2012 09:24 AM

Thanks!

Of course I woke up in the middle of the night for no reason and just lay there for a bit. I kept thinking sleep sleep sleep, I need it for weigh in!

Sigh. The things I do to myself!!!

kaplods 09-18-2012 10:08 AM

Awesome!

For me, sleep quality is my most important priority, not just for my weight, but for absolutely everthing.

About 8 years ago, I was diagnosed with a potentially fatal autoimmune disease, fibromyalgia, sleep apnea, metabolic syndrome, and a host of other related issues. I also had asthma and the beginnings of copd.

When my pulmonologist prescribed the cpap (a device that blew air down my nose), he told me that I would probably lose some weight without changeing a single thing.

Effortless weight loss? To say I was skeptical was an understatement. I thought the doctor was nuts.

I didn't even own a scale at the time, so I was amazed when I lost 20 lbs without changeing a single thing.

Even more remarkably, the autoimmune symptoms started improving too, and my neurologist reminded me (I have a BA and MA in psychology, so I knew the research) that long-term sleep deprivation studies are now never done with humans because of the damage sleep deprivation does to the body. I was getting virtually no deep sleep at all, because the apnea was preventing my sleep from reaching the deeper levels. Even though I thought I was sleeping up to 20 hours, I wasn't getting any deep sleep. When lab animals are chronically deprived of deep sleep they die of immune disfunction.

Sleep quality is actually a higher priority for me than weight loss, because even one night of bad sleep will trigger flares of the fibromyalgia. Luckily, they're not incompatible, so I would never have to choose between sleep and weight loss.

My health was spiraling downward because of my sleep and weight (the poor sleep increased the weight gain, and the weight gain made it harder to sleep, in an endless cycling spiral).

Now I've got an upward cycle going, because the better I sleep, the better my weight loss, the bettery my sleep, the better my weight loss.

It's no exageration to say that sleep saved my life.

greeniris 09-18-2012 10:10 AM

IPdivajen - just watched the video - very cool! You look fabulous! Hopefully you've also helped others understand more about how to get healthier.

Chloe222 09-18-2012 10:57 AM

IPdivaJen,
Thanks for posting this clip. I forwarded it to half a dozen friends. You look sensational!

iwiggy58 09-18-2012 11:36 AM

Thanks for sharing! You look fab!!

dawn again 09-18-2012 12:31 PM

Awesome! You and your husband look great! What a great accomplishment

Gordito 09-18-2012 12:39 PM

Congrats on your 15 minutes of fame..lol. You guys look great!

healthyangie 09-18-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPdivajen (Post 4471625)
Thought this was an interesting new study and thought I'd share.

And oh yeah, you might recognize someone in the video. ;)

http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/s...#family+health

Off to bed now - tomorrow is weigh in day!!! :carrot:

Too cool! You look even slimmer than your current pic! And you hubbie looks great! I can relate to the sleep issue - I suffer from sleep anxiety and although I'm doing pretty good right now, I still have bouts of it. Good luck!

Pink Hurricane 09-18-2012 01:18 PM

You guys look wonderful! :congrat:

Sleep is my biggest trouble area. I battle insomnia on and off time and time again. Currently I've been trying to get up earlier and stay active all day long and try to get to sleep earlier. I always aim for 6-7 hours of sleep a night. It is rare for me to get more than 8, but if I get 7 I consider that good.

Ishbel 09-18-2012 01:29 PM

Awesome! You look GREAT!!

thanks for sharing :)

repomike 09-18-2012 01:36 PM

You look GREAT!! Congrats! You guys look great! Keep it up!

rainbowsmiles 09-18-2012 01:42 PM

oooo i can't get the video to play!!!! i can see the advertisements...but then the video doesn't play!!

do you have any other link???

anyway....CONGRATS!!! i'm sure its awesome!!! :)