Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/160/145

Height: 5'7"

Default French women don't get fat!

Ok peeps. This is my new "bible". FrenchWomen Don't Get Fat is a fab book! It's how I would like to eat when I am done with IP. Long on protein, complex carbs, very low sugar, occassional treat.
One thing I will do is pull out my yogurt maker and start making it again. I was a good yogurt maker and a great bread maker too. Time to think about getting back to both. Some nice tangy yogurt with no sugar just lots of good flavor. Some nice crusty whole grain bread. I miss eating and making it.
Have a gander at the book now that you are IP pros. There is also a great companion cookbook.
I can smell the bread baking now!
capecodmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I took a quick look when the book first came out, will have to check it out again. For me, I'm going paleo, and since my husband is already eating that way it will be that much easier. My neighbor across from the street from me when I lived in CA was from France. If I could look like her, I'd be one happy woman.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

That is one thing I can't wait for once I hit phase 3 - homemade yogurt! I used to make a half gallon at a time in my crockpot I will definitely check out the book for maintenance preparations!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
That is one thing I can't wait for once I hit phase 3 - homemade yogurt! I used to make a half gallon at a time in my crockpot I will definitely check out the book for maintenance preparations!
I can also see myself eating lots of natural yogourt when I hit Phase 3. And I love making things in my crockpot. Care to share your recipe for yogourt, for future use?

Last edited by evepet; 09-17-2012 at 07:35 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #5  

I'd love your crockpot yogurt recipe too. I'm always looking for a better way. And I have found that most really good recipes aren't in books but in the heads of really smart cookies! Yum, can't you just taste the smooth, cool, creamy, tangy yummy goodness now? Something to work for isn't it?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

LOL it's super simple.
I use my crockpot and a candy thermometer.

You need:
1/2 gallon milk
2/3 cup powdered milk (works as a thickener)
1/2 cup plain live culture yogurt

Pour the milk into your crockpot, heat on HIGH for about 2-2.5 hours (until temp is between 160-180 degrees). Then turn it off, leave the lid on, and allow to cool for another 2 hours until it has reached about 110 degrees. I then remove about 2 cups of liquid from the crock pot (I just scoop it out with a measuring cup and then get the lid back on as quick as I can), and whisk the powdered milk and yogurt starter into that until it's all incorporated. Pour the mixture back into the crockpot, give it a quick stir to mix it all together. Make sure the lid is on well, then wrap the crockpot in a nice big towel. Unplug it. GO TO BED.
When you wake up - yogurt!!

You can strain it with cheesecloth or a super fine strainer to make it greek yogurt too.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 10-09-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/209/140

Height: 5' 7"

Scorbett, Can you add fruit puree to this to make a sweet yogurt, or maybe honey? I would love to make a berry yogurt for the kids.
Bdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

Not when it's in the crockpot, but what I usually do is one it's done, I portion it out into individual servings, then I can add whatever I want to each one! I've done honey, fruit, jam, granola...whatever you like
Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 249/209/140

Height: 5' 7"

Thank you Scorbett! Sounds yummy! Cannot wait til I can make AND gobble up some yogurt!
Bdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I remember we had a woman from France on here a while ago, and she was quite frustrated with that book telling her she couldn't possibly be fat!
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post
Ok peeps. This is my new "bible". FrenchWomen Don't Get Fat is a fab book! It's how I would like to eat when I am done with IP. Long on protein, complex carbs, very low sugar, occassional treat.
One thing I will do is pull out my yogurt maker and start making it again. I was a good yogurt maker and a great bread maker too. Time to think about getting back to both. Some nice tangy yogurt with no sugar just lots of good flavor. Some nice crusty whole grain bread. I miss eating and making it.
Have a gander at the book now that you are IP pros. There is also a great companion cookbook.
I can smell the bread baking now!
Capecodmomma,

I am reading the book now..can you tell me what you've taken away that you can apply to daily life? Everything I have read so far is something I have already known but haven't applied. I think I am in chapter 7.

Thanks for any input.

Jen
Juniper Berries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 149/131/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I took a quick look when the book first came out, will have to check it out again. For me, I'm going paleo, and since my husband is already eating that way it will be that much easier. My neighbor across from the street from me when I lived in CA was from France. If I could look like her, I'd be one happy woman.
I plan to go paleo once I phase off, too. I have been collecting recipes and cannot wait to get cooking.
Samkatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #13  

JuniperBerries, I like the approach to food that is in the book. Simple, not fussy, small portions, real food not processed, the attitude of worthiness but respect for each food. Good yogurt, not sugary crap, good crusty bread with good ingredients, not wonder bread, fruits and veggies respected, no empty calories.
The leek soup got me thru a stuck time in my weight loss.
I have been to France a couple of times, ate like a queen and lost weight each time. They aren't junk eaters. Of course I see the western influence creeping in there. McDonalds has arrived. An end to civilization as they know it is what they think. (Although you can buy wine there so........we are in France after all!)
But I think it's just a food mindset that shows in the book. Food is good, good food is better. Again, smaller portions, but good portions.
But, even as good a bread baker as I am, I'll never be able to capture that wonderful, warm crusty loaf full of good wheat, water and yeast (nothing else) warm out of the oven with a fabulous piece of good cheese melting on top. Throw in a small glass of red wine and life doesn't get much better...........
Someday...................
Old 10-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #14  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
I remember we had a woman from France on here a while ago, and she was quite frustrated with that book telling her she couldn't possibly be fat!
Every French woman I've known was in the overweight category as well. I'm not sure where this stereotype came from.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post
JuniperBerries, I like the approach to food that is in the book. Simple, not fussy, small portions, real food not processed, the attitude of worthiness but respect for each food. Good yogurt, not sugary crap, good crusty bread with good ingredients, not wonder bread, fruits and veggies respected, no empty calories.
The leek soup got me thru a stuck time in my weight loss.
I have been to France a couple of times, ate like a queen and lost weight each time. They aren't junk eaters. Of course I see the western influence creeping in there. McDonalds has arrived. An end to civilization as they know it is what they think. (Although you can buy wine there so........we are in France after all!)
But I think it's just a food mindset that shows in the book. Food is good, good food is better. Again, smaller portions, but good portions.
But, even as good a bread baker as I am, I'll never be able to capture that wonderful, warm crusty loaf full of good wheat, water and yeast (nothing else) warm out of the oven with a fabulous piece of good cheese melting on top. Throw in a small glass of red wine and life doesn't get much better...........
Someday...................
Capecodmomma,

Thanks for the reply. I am on chapter 7 so far and I have gleened just what you've noted. I have quite bit of weight to lose and I wonder if this will be of use right away or if I should try a "program" first. Anyway, I really appreicate you taking the time out to reply back. Thank you.
Juniper Berries is offline   Reply With Quote