Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/140

Height: 5'3.5"

Default IP Daily Chat Tuesday 08/28/2012

Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page for lots of good information and please read before asking what might be a frequently asked question here in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), recipes, newbie guide, FAQ, and other important threads. IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.
the Ultimate One-Stop Signature and Ticker Thread - Read here if you have questions!

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.
the Ultimate One-Stop Signature and Ticker Thread - Read here if you have questions!

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos:
have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19

Last edited by rissimo; 08-28-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/220/168 BMI=35.6/32.5

Height: 5'9''

Start of Week 2 on IP! Yesterday WI #1, down 8lbs and an inch here and there. Never have I lost weight like this and ENJOYED it so much. I find this to be soooo easy. I hope the novelty of the newness of the diet and the honeymoon stage doesn't end! Rainbowsmiles has such an awesome recipe thread I read this morning!! Can't wait to try the CRAB CAKES!!!!
Thank you all who are such inspirations! You are all wonderful.
Karen
Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #3  

Default Net carbs

I'm confused. From the comments on here I thought that to get your net carbs you subtract fiber from carbs and as long as it was under 9 then it's not a restricted.
While at the store yesterday I looked at some Atkins bars. On the front it said it was 3 net carbs, but on the back it was 19 carbs and 9 fiber which should be 10 net carbs.
So what's correct? Can I go by net carbs to see if something is a restricted? and if so what is the proper way to determine how many carbs there is to stay OP.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #4  
JulieT68

S/C/G: 197/197/150

Height: 5'6' 1/2

Good Morning Everyone! I am on day two of restart, to get the 5 lbs lost while on vacation! I have learned it is a way of life to eat your veggies drink your water and stay stay away from carbs! Have a 100% op day!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttergirl9 View Post
I'm confused. From the comments on here I thought that to get your net carbs you subtract fiber from carbs and as long as it was under 9 then it's not a restricted.
While at the store yesterday I looked at some Atkins bars. On the front it said it was 3 net carbs, but on the back it was 19 carbs and 9 fiber which should be 10 net carbs.
So what's correct? Can I go by net carbs to see if something is a restricted? and if so what is the proper way to determine how many carbs there is to stay OP.
I checked all of my "restricted" items, they are all over 9 net carbs. BUT I believe the issue with Atkins bars is that they are too high in fat and calories. One of the biggest differences between IP and Atkins is that IP is low FAT as well as low carb, and our calorie intake is very low.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Good morning everybody ! Rise and shine !

Have had a stressful couple of days but I'm back on track now. Had another gallstone attack and ended up in the emergency room. At least now I know what it is. Have scheduled a test to see if my gallbladder still functions, so that I could use the medication instead of removing the whole organ. A friend told me about an advocacy group that helps people get better terms on their medical bills, so that was a big relief too. Just stressing about how I was going to pay for these tests was making it unbearable.

So, onward and upward !

guttergirl- if you are on IP, you can't have any other bars, just what's on the list of vegees and meats. If you are doing alternatives, I guess that's another story. I found the Atkins bars to be loaded with sugars, so have not had them, even in maintenance. I do use the net carbs, subtracting the fiber, as they are not digested in the body. There doesn't seem to be an exact limit on the carbs within the IP products that determines restricted/non-restricted, but I guess you can use them as a guideline by looking up the labels. Good luck to you!

Hope everybody has a wonderful Tuesday and does something nice for somebody else today...

Margaret
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post

Have had a stressful couple of days but I'm back on track now. Had another gallstone attack and ended up in the emergency room. At least now I know what it is. Have scheduled a test to see if my gallbladder still functions, so that I could use the medication instead of removing the whole organ. A friend told me about an advocacy group that helps people get better terms on their medical bills, so that was a big relief too. Just stressing about how I was going to pay for these tests was making it unbearable.

So, onward and upward !

guttergirl- if you are on IP, you can't have any other bars, just what's on the list of vegees and meats. If you are doing alternatives, I guess that's another story. I found the Atkins bars to be loaded with sugars, so have not had them, even in maintenance. I do use the net carbs, subtracting the fiber, as they are not digested in the body. There doesn't seem to be an exact limit on the carbs within the IP products that determines restricted/non-restricted, but I guess you can use them as a guideline by looking up the labels. Good luck to you!

Hope everybody has a wonderful Tuesday and does something nice for somebody else today...

Margaret
Ugh, here's hoping you can treat and not have to have surgery! And you can ABSOLUTELY get your bills reduced, I work at a hospital and there are programs to help but also the hospital is much more willing to settle a bill at a reduced price than write it off. Get whatever help you can but if it's not enough PUSH for a settlement price!

RE: Atkins bars, I am on IP but ALSO use some alternative products. All of the IP bars are over 9 net carbs, I believe 8 or 9 was what Wuv said is the threshold for restricted vs non restricted. I checked all of my boxes of IP restricteds and they all meet that guideline.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Ugh, here's hoping you can treat and not have to have surgery! And you can ABSOLUTELY get your bills reduced, I work at a hospital and there are programs to help but also the hospital is much more willing to settle a bill at a reduced price than write it off. Get whatever help you can but if it's not enough PUSH for a settlement price!

RE: Atkins bars, I am on IP but ALSO use some alternative products. All of the IP bars are over 9 net carbs, I believe 8 or 9 was what Wuv said is the threshold for restricted vs non restricted. I checked all of my boxes of IP restricteds and they all meet that guideline.
What bars are you using? I haven't found any at the grocery store that have the level of protein and carbs that IP has. Several people here use the Nashua Nutrition stuff and swear they are identical and may even be the same manufacturer. re. the IP restricted, I don't have any of the boxes anymore, but I seem to recall that when a new one came out, I think the cereal, my coach remarked that it was restricted, yet it had less carbs than others that were not restricted, so we were confused as to what criteria IP used, if it was carbs or a combination of things. That, and what was marked restricted in Canada was sometimes not so in the US? It probably doesn't matter a whole lot, as long as it is relatively low. We get a variance in carbs just in the vegees we eat as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/150/147

Height: 5'2"

Morning peeps-
Busy at work, busy at home. Just sipping water continually to get it all in. Had a party at my house last night. I did not eat any homemade apple pie or homemade peach ice cream. I made a chocolate cake out of a packet and egg whites. Very filling!
The temptations will come, but let them pass on by! You are worth it and you are going to get to your goal. Haha. This is my pep talk to myself. It works!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
What bars are you using? I haven't found any at the grocery store that have the level of protein and carbs that IP has. Several people here use the Nashua Nutrition stuff and swear they are identical and may even be the same manufacturer. re. the IP restricted, I don't have any of the boxes anymore, but I seem to recall that when a new one came out, I think the cereal, my coach remarked that it was restricted, yet it had less carbs than others that were not restricted, so we were confused as to what criteria IP used, if it was carbs or a combination of things. That, and what was marked restricted in Canada was sometimes not so in the US? It probably doesn't matter a whole lot, as long as it is relatively low. We get a variance in carbs just in the vegees we eat as well.
I've definitely noticed that not all coaches/clinics have the same method I use a few Proti-Diet and Healthwise bars, and my local nutrition store carries a brand called Balanced Protein - they are nutritionally in line with IP products, the only major difference is that most are 15g of protein and not 17-18 like many IP products. I just adjust by adding a HB egg if I have more than 1 alternative product in a day. Not sure about the difference in Canadian vs US products, but it wouldn't surprise me due to regulatory differences.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #11  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyjean View Post
Morning peeps-
Busy at work, busy at home. Just sipping water continually to get it all in. Had a party at my house last night. I did not eat any homemade apple pie or homemade peach ice cream. I made a chocolate cake out of a packet and egg whites. Very filling!
The temptations will come, but let them pass on by! You are worth it and you are going to get to your goal. Haha. This is my pep talk to myself. It works!
Awesome job!!! The packet hacks really do make sure that we don't feel too deprived, but it also takes willpower not to do the "easy" thing and give in!! WTG!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #12  
Started IP August 2, 2012

S/C/G: S/C/G 171/162.5/135

Default Good Morning Everyone! News and help!

I didn't get to check in yesterday, it was my first day back at work and I put in a 12 hour day working on my classroom and plans. However, I had a phone call with my coach yesterday because I was working on a 2 day headache and I really thought I might pass out yesterday morning just blowdrying my hair. I was dizzy, lightheaded and sweating and getting a little worried. Anyways, my coach is awesome! She called me first thing in the morning and we went over what my typical day has looked like for the last 8 days. She was extrememly concerned about my blood sugar levels because of the way I was feeling. SO... we are changing it up a little. Between breakfast and lunch, she wants me to have 1/2 to no more than a cup of berries (normally fruit is a no no but in my case she is concerned about blood sugar and the aount of energy I am burning in a day and berries have the lowest glycemic index), she also wants me to try 4 packs a day BUT only because she wants me to eat my restricted between lunch and supper and have the jello or the collagen drink that I can't remember the name of because I don't like it anyways for my evening snack. I tried this yesterday and this morning I don't have a headache, which is a definite change from the past two days. And the scale ( ya ya I know don't weigh every day ) which has been stuck since Sunday has moved down a half a pound so maybe this is the ticket for me?
I do have a question for all of you though. Do you wake up REALLY early for no reason? I have been awake since 5am! Granted I had excruiating gas and gas pains because the big C just won't budge and that's how my IBS acts but I don't FEEL overly tired either. After 45 minutes of trying to go back to sleep, I gave up and decided I might as well get up and have coffee!

Hopefully, this won't come back to bite me later today but the good news is that the kids don't start school until tomorrow.Sorry this got so long winded!
Have a great OP day all!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I've definitely noticed that not all coaches/clinics have the same method I use a few Proti-Diet and Healthwise bars, and my local nutrition store carries a brand called Balanced Protein - they are nutritionally in line with IP products, the only major difference is that most are 15g of protein and not 17-18 like many IP products. I just adjust by adding a HB egg if I have more than 1 alternative product in a day. Not sure about the difference in Canadian vs US products, but it wouldn't surprise me due to regulatory differences.
I've noticed that there is less chance that aspartame is in the Canadian products. I use alternative products and sometimes order from Nashua and got caught on that a few times. Now I know to check the labels to see what sweetner is used befor ordering.

Pat
Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedEnough View Post
I didn't get to check in yesterday, it was my first day back at work and I put in a 12 hour day working on my classroom and plans. However, I had a phone call with my coach yesterday because I was working on a 2 day headache and I really thought I might pass out yesterday morning just blowdrying my hair. I was dizzy, lightheaded and sweating and getting a little worried. Anyways, my coach is awesome! She called me first thing in the morning and we went over what my typical day has looked like for the last 8 days. She was extrememly concerned about my blood sugar levels because of the way I was feeling. SO... we are changing it up a little. Between breakfast and lunch, she wants me to have 1/2 to no more than a cup of berries (normally fruit is a no no but in my case she is concerned about blood sugar and the aount of energy I am burning in a day and berries have the lowest glycemic index), she also wants me to try 4 packs a day BUT only because she wants me to eat my restricted between lunch and supper and have the jello or the collagen drink that I can't remember the name of because I don't like it anyways for my evening snack. I tried this yesterday and this morning I don't have a headache, which is a definite change from the past two days. And the scale ( ya ya I know don't weigh every day ) which has been stuck since Sunday has moved down a half a pound so maybe this is the ticket for me?
I do have a question for all of you though. Do you wake up REALLY early for no reason? I have been awake since 5am! Granted I had excruiating gas and gas pains because the big C just won't budge and that's how my IBS acts but I don't FEEL overly tired either. After 45 minutes of trying to go back to sleep, I gave up and decided I might as well get up and have coffee!

Hopefully, this won't come back to bite me later today but the good news is that the kids don't start school until tomorrow.Sorry this got so long winded!
Have a great OP day all!

Sounds like you got great advice from your coach. Try to get that big C problem under control, that will make a huge difference too. I take krill oil and magnesium citrate. I had severe discomfort and daily headaches until I learned about the magnesium citrate,

I related to your back to school post. I am off for my first official full day today and it is really full. The kids don't come back officially until Tuesday but some have to come in early for assessments.
I actually find food etc is easier when on a steady work schedule.

Pat

Have a
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #15  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshea View Post
Start of Week 2 on IP! Yesterday WI #1, down 8lbs and an inch here and there. Never have I lost weight like this and ENJOYED it so much. I find this to be soooo easy. I hope the novelty of the newness of the diet and the honeymoon stage doesn't end! Rainbowsmiles has such an awesome recipe thread I read this morning!! Can't wait to try the CRAB CAKES!!!!
Thank you all who are such inspirations! You are all wonderful.
Karen
Great first weigh in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttergirl9 View Post
I am on all alternatives now. I use proti-thin and healthsmart. If you want to use other products, try to find stuff that is comprable to the IP nutrional content. I attached a sheet that someone else put together on here. You need to make sure you are getting the proper amount of protein also.

Quote:

So, onward and upward !
I hope you feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyjean View Post
Morning peeps-
Great job! Party's make it a real challenge to stay OP.

[QUOTE=FrustratedEnough;4450842]I didn't get to check in yesterday, it was my first day back at work and I put in a 12 hour day working on my classroom and plans. However, I had a phone call with my coach yesterday because I was working on a 2 day headache and I really thought I might pass out yesterday morning just blowdrying my hair. I was dizzy, lightheaded and sweating and getting a little worried. Anyways, my coach is awesome! She called me first thing in the morning and we went over what my typical day has looked like for the last 8 days. She was extrememly concerned about my blood sugar levels because of the way I was feeling. SO... we are changing it up a little. Between breakfast and lunch, she wants me to have 1/2 to no more than a cup of berries (normally fruit is a no no but in my case she is concerned about blood sugar and the aount of energy I am burning in a day and berries have the lowest glycemic index), she also wants me to try 4 packs a day BUT only because she wants me to eat my restricted between lunch and supper and have the jello or the collagen drink that I can't remember the name of because I don't like it anyways for my evening snack. I tried this yesterday and this morning I don't have a headache, which is a definite change from the past two days. And the scale ( ya ya I know don't weigh every day ) which has been stuck since Sunday has moved down a half a pound so maybe this is the ticket for me?

QUOTE]

I had the same issues you did. I switched to the Phase I alternative plan and then weened off of it by the second week. The alternate Phase I plan allows 1 serving whole grain, 1 serving dairy and 1 serving of fruit. The only issue is the weight loss would be slower if you stay on it.

Someother people suggest smoothmove tea for the big C. I noticed that if I forget to take all my supplements for a few days I have issues with the big C also. Not so much when I get all my supplements in regularly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nutritional Fact Sheet (1).pdf (16.6 KB, 17 views)
Closed Thread