Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #121  
IP Newb

S/C/G: 195/195/140

Height: 5'4

(And I shot a 79 with a double bogey on the last hole...my third round this year i will take it!)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #122  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Finally getting a few minutes at work to catch up on everyone's weekend!

So awesome to read about the successes and good experiences! MOMPATTIE have a great camping trip, sounds like you are ready for whatever it throws at you! and LIZRR you are KILLING ME over here! Cucumber lemon sorbet???? Now I have another thing to search Craigslist for

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I thought I was being so radical making Zuchinni CHIPS... no way I'm mentally up to cucumber basil ICE CREAM... but I'm inspired by your enthusiasm and willingness to cook new things Liz (and others)

Question: other than size, what's the diff bw ruttabega and turnip. The clerk at the store said they were the same thing. I don't want to try hacking at a rutabega if it's a close taste to turnip. Is it just "less harsh" than turnip, or a totally different experience??
There is a HUGE difference in flavor between rutabaga and turnip. Jicama is also technically a "turnip" but is a completely different flavor and texture from the other two. Rutabaga has an orange color, milder flavor - I found it to be somewhere in between a butternut squash and a sweet potato. It makes an AMAZING substitute for butternut squash soup (see Rainbow's rutabaga bisque recipe in her Mix'n thread!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
What do you usually put in your chicken soup?

I made a stock the other day from a rotisserie chicken we ate. I have a bit of shredded chicken, was going to do celery, leeks, broccoli, kale. Maybe some diced turnip or rutabaga?

I want to give it some oomph, maybe some cauliflower to mimic chicken and rice?
I'm a "clean out the crisper" soup maker. I have BAGS of homemade stock in the deep freezer, and I add whatever is on hand to make soup. Celery, any cabbage, leeks, onion, garlic, zucchini, mushrooms, okra...when I was not on the diet green beans, corn, yam, tomato...pretty much whatever I had on hand that needed to be used up. I haven't done cauliflower but I'm sure if you cooked the cauli rice first it would take some of the edge off of it.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 200/182.8/140

Height: 5"4

Hi All....I am on pins and needles tonight waiting to see where Isaac comes...all our schools and government offices and are closed tomorrow...but my Dr. has decided to take a "wait and see attitude"....This looks like a BIG storm..(wide). I'm thinking of everyone in New Orleans as well.....BE SAFE ALL!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #124  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimcoachmomma View Post
Liz, just a random thought for your veggie ice cream. One of the best gourmet ice creams I ever had had fresh basil in it. Cannot remember what the base was, although I think vanilla, but I bet your cucumber ice cream would be great with some basil... Hmmm...
I made the cucumber lime sherbert with mint. And lettuce lemon with basil. Both were good, i updated the recipes in the puree thread. On the way back from dinner with plans for rhubarb strawberry ice cream. I was at the store getting more cucumbers & lemons &n picked up a 4-pack of EAS Strawberry. Havent done alternatives really, but figured for ice cream testing...why not?

Quote:
I thought I was be ing so radical making Zuchinni CHIPS... no way I'm mentally up to cucumber basil ICE CREAM... but I'm inspired by your enthusiasm and willingness to cook new things Liz (and others)

Question: other than size, what's the diff bw ruttabega and turnip. The clerk at the store said they were the same thing. I don't want to try hacking at a rutabega if it's a close taste to turnip. Is it just "less harsh" than turnip, or a totally different experience??
I prefer rutabaga to turnip, no surprise since it is 'carbier', but we have it at least once a week. Hubby loves the fries!

Last edited by LizRR; 08-26-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 200/182.8/140

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra14k View Post
well....it happened. I cheated. not much but definately something not OP. and it didn't even taste good. so why - because .....no idea. I think some is because I haven't lost anything in 2 weeks and am a little discouraged. I'm not quitting. and I'm really trying hard. but it is discouraging to try so hard and not lose anything.
HANG IN THERE....you can do this...Lord knows I've had my moments where I was ready to to forget this...BUT I survived a weeks vacation where we went to a zoo...theme park AND a stinkin county fair..(that one was hard)...and I stayed 100% OP...NO CHEATS!! That felt SO good to remain in control...SO proud of myself....we are going to probably have ALOT of tough days...but we will make it through..!!! STAY STRONG!!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #126  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegirl View Post
Whoever posted the baba ganoush recipe - THANKS! It was a perfect treat tonight with my celery and peppers!
I missed that -- where is it?? Please repost....I love me some baba ganoush!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #127  

Lizzy63 Posted it
(I found with the search feature)

Here is how I made the Baba Ganoush. (Not big on measuring, though, I tend to do things more by taste...)

Roast an eggplant at 400 degrees on a foil lined baking sheet. After about 40 minutes or until it feels soft to touch, cut open the top and peel back the skin, then scoop out the "innards" into a blender. Add lots of fresh garlic (I use a garlic press), with a little oilve oil and a little lemon juice. Also a litle salt and pepper, if you like. The taste develops if it sits in the fridge overnight.

This is usually made with tahini (sesame seed paste), but wasn't sure if that was OK, so left it out. Didn't really miss it too much.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing on here that's not allowed on phase 1, and if you eat it on some celery, you can easily get in 2 cups of veggies.

Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Quote:
I missed that -- where is it?? Please repost....I love me some baba ganoush!
Lizzy63 posted the recipe in this thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ml#post4427946
Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #129  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Lizzy63 Posted it
(I found with the search feature)

Here is how I made the Baba Ganoush. (Not big on measuring, though, I tend to do things more by taste...).....Enjoy!
I bought an eggplant thinking I would use it to make some spaghetti noodles (like the shredded zuchinni one) but there's a LOT of eggplant. NOW I'm stoked to make me some baba ganouj!

I have "Fridge Bottom Puree" happenin' right now. I MEASURED this time and have 16 cups of veggies in my pot. We'll see how that all mushes up in my blender. I found "Italian spices" in a paste, so added that to the mix....mmmm... smellin' good!

Here's my recipe: Take all the stuff out of your fridge that you meant to eat and didn't. Put it in a pot and cook the heck out of it. Leave it overnight to cool in the pot in the garage (where it's cooler than my house at night). In the morning, put it all in the blender and pretend you're a gourmet cook like Liz! (That way you're blending cool veggies and broth, not the hot scalding one)

.... can I get my own thread now? (hee, hee!)
Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #130  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
I bought an eggplant thinking I would use it to make some spaghetti noodles (like the shredded zuchinni one) but there's a LOT of eggplant. NOW I'm stoked to make me some baba ganouj!

I have "Fridge Bottom Puree" happenin' right now. I MEASURED this time and have 16 cups of veggies in my pot. We'll see how that all mushes up in my blender. I found "Italian spices" in a paste, so added that to the mix....mmmm... smellin' good!

Here's my recipe: Take all the stuff out of your fridge that you meant to eat and didn't. Put it in a pot and cook the heck out of it. Leave it overnight to cool in the pot in the garage (where it's cooler than my house at night). In the morning, put it all in the blender and pretend you're a gourmet cook like Liz! (That way you're blending cool veggies and broth, not the hot scalding one)

I love this!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #131  

Holy Cr@p! Rhubarb Jam + EAS Strawberry + Ice Cream Machine = Awesome!

My dinner was good, but the veggie was honey glazed carrots! So basically I had a salad and 8oz filet, not bad though. Upside is I "had" to have 3 cups rhubarb in my ice cream...and wow, sooooo gooood!

I will say, I forgot how running kills your appetite. I had a long delay between breakfast & lunch. Not sure if it was the running or the big Phase 3 breakfast, or both, but I wasn't crazy hungry or anything. But I was ready for this 3 cup veggie ice cream!

Last edited by LizRR; 08-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #132  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
Holy Cr@p! Rhubarb Jam + EAS Strawberry + Ice Cream Machine = Awesome!

My dinner was good, but the veggie was honey glazed carrots! So basically I had a salad and 8oz filet, not bad though. Upside is I "had" to have 3 cups rhubarb in my ice cream...and wow, sooooo gooood!
They seriously need a "like" button for your posts That sounds amazing!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 155/111/115

Height: 5'5"

Finally got my signature...let's see if it works! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 242/242/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

IP43 you are a hoot! Thanks for the laughs on several of your posts.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #135  

Quote:

Lol! I have done A Lot of recipes like that! One of our big dinners was 'Mexican Meat Mess' - basically ground turkey, taco seasoning, and whatever veggies all thrown into a skillet together!
Closed Thread