Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #16  

Definitely - the ability to put your body into a "repair" mode while doing an IF protocol will definitely help with fending off age-related illnesses. For now though, it's best to continue to use a low carb approach to get your body into ketosis and to drop the pounds until you reach your target weight, then perhaps look at an IF protocol for a longer term approach to health and well-being.

Having said that, there are people who I know have been in ketosis for years and swear by it and wouldn't really consider IF .. Dr Peter Attia, for one, who has documented his approach to ketosis and dispels a lot of myths. If the IP approach works and you can adhere to it long term, why change?
Sharky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

To get people into ketosis faster Atkins used to use a fat flush, where you only eat cream cheese and macadamia nuts.

Since you can't have either on ip, you can encourage ketosis by eating higher fat proteins and ensuring you get in your oil. This can also help minimized carb withdrawal. Look at micheal eades protein power website for more info.

I also find it only takes a couple days. Don't worry-it will happen.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #18  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandosh View Post
Thank you all for your reply!!! I'm excited about IP. Today is my day 2.
Good for you! My first week I had all the restricteds: Spaghetti, Chili, bars, etc. It took me a loooooong time to shift into ketosis. If you want it ASAP, try eating the packets with the lowest carbs. Go without restricteds first. Or do them every other day. I think I only shifted into ketosis on the 4th or 5th day of my diet. (I know because I was [guilty] weighing myself everyday.)
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote