Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default Sugar Alcohols

I just picked up some "Think Thin" bars at the store, after seeing 0 sugar. What I missed was that it did have sugar alcohols, namely maltitol.

Here's why they don't want us to have them. No matter what the manufacturer of maltitol says, tests show that it has a glycemic index of 52, up there close to sugar at 60. Compare that with Erythritol, which has 0. Not only can maltitol kick you out of ketosis, but it will play havoc with your pancreas if you are prone to diabetes, which many of us are, having been overweight. So, just say no!

This table came from the low carb diets section of about.com
-----------------------------------------------------------

This chart compares the different polyols.

GI=glycemic index

Cal/g=Calories per gram

Bear in mind that the glycemic index is a range, rather than a fixed number. Different studies yield different results. This chart is mainly sourced by the Livesey research reported in Nutrition Research Reviews, December 2003.
Comparison of Sugar and Sugar Alcohols

Ingredient Sweetness GI Cal/g
Sucrose(sugar) 100% 60 4
Maltitol Syrup 75% 52 3
Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate 33% 39 2.8
Maltitol 75% 36 2.7
Xylitol 100% 13 2.5
Isomalt 55% 9 2.1
Sorbitol 60% 9 2.5
Lactitol 35% 6 2
Mannitol 60% 0 1.5
Erythritol 70% 0 0.2
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #2  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Oh no My husband eats the Think Thin bars, too, because they were the only ones in the grocery that didn't have sugar. Was thinking of eating half a bar each day in place of one IP packet. I'm still in Phase 1 but am thinking of switching to alternative products as it's just getting too expensive for me to be 100% OP. So no Think Thin then?
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinseattle View Post
Oh no My husband eats the Think Thin bars, too, because they were the only ones in the grocery that didn't have sugar. Was thinking of eating half a bar each day in place of one IP packet. I'm still in Phase 1 but am thinking of switching to alternative products as it's just getting too expensive for me to be 100% OP. So no Think Thin then?
Maltitol seems to be in everything that says no sugar these days... it must be cheap or they wouldn't be using it. I wouldn't use them in Phase 1. If you or your husband stall, that could be a reason.

I'm in maintenance, so I can have them, but I still have to watch how much or I'll have a blood sugar reaction, and if there is a better alternative, I'd just as soon have that. I remember maltitol being mentioned on my initial IP handout, but seeing the table with the glycemic index values really explained why they don't want us to have it.

Some folks here use the bars from Nashua Nutrition (I think) and they swear they are identical to IP at half the price. Look in the 'alternative' threads for info...

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Sewman, thanks for bringing this up. I did a lot of research about sugar alcohols earlier in my process with this diet and have responded with info similiar to what you've posted a few times during the 5 months I've been on the diet. Once we grow aware enough to look for it, it's amazing to realize how much malititol and maltitol syrup are used. Like you've said, they're right up there on the glycemic index with sucrose and can definitely affect the blood sugars.

The only sugar alcohols that I consider 'safe' are those that are lowest on the GI scale. I personally try to stick with erythritol and xylitol.

Incidentally, this is one of the reasons I like the Quest line of protein bars. All natural ingredients, and sweetened with erythritol.

Last edited by evepet; 08-22-2012 at 09:49 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #5  
Started IPD Dec 1, 2011

S/C/G: 188/182/140

Height: 5' 1 1/2"

The IP yummy chocolate caramel bars have sugar alcohols as I am assuming some of the other bars too. Just an fyi so they are allowed in moderation on all phases.
Tmg1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Most ip bars also have agave syrup or brown rice syrup-which are just different forms of sugar.
A little is not enough to stop ketosis. I use the simply bars as there are no sugar alcohols, but there is agave. No issues.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmg1989 View Post
The IP yummy chocolate caramel bars have sugar alcohols as I am assuming some of the other bars too. Just an fyi so they are allowed in moderation on all phases.
Do you know which sugar alcohol they use? I don't have any boxes of them anymore to check the label.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Ah sugar alcohols...we are well acquainted with those in my house - my husband is a type 1 diabetic and oh so many "sugar free" foods are loaded with sugar alcohols. Bad little nasties....they can really do a number on your guts. We try to avoid them as much as possible.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #9  

I was just looking at the Simply bars on amazon today. They sure are less expensive than some. I used to use agave and have some on my shelf, but now I read that it is mostly a form of fructose, and research is indicating fructose is the cause of so much obesity and insulin resistance. Geeze...can't win for losing...

Even if IP products have some sugar alcohols in them, they are in controlled amounts. When I read 'sugar-free' on a label, my brain says it is a 'get out of jail free' card, and that simply is not true. Once you get to the freedom of maintenance, without the strict controls of Phase 1, you have to really stop and question everything you read on a label. Don't believe the marketing hype.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

My DH s cookies & cream bars have malitol. I believe most of the ip bars use malitol.

I have read about agave and fructose, but I believe that given the small amounts in the bars it is better than sucralose or the other artificial sweeteners.

Fructose is naturally occurring in vegetables, so it is almost impossible to completely avoid it...

Last edited by Momto2cs; 08-23-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #11  

Does anybody know where the nutrition labels are for IP? I used to have a clinic that listed the details bookmarked but can't find it. Thought it was here under the stickies but couldn't find it.

I think my point is that sugar alcohol labeling is very misleading. They can say 'no sugar added' or 'sugar free' on a label and you may think you can eat all you want (in maintenance especially), but the impact on blood sugar is NOT ZERO and depending on which sugar alcohol they used, should be regarded as sugar.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #12  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
I was just looking at the Simply bars on amazon today. They sure are less expensive than some. I used to use agave and have some on my shelf, but now I read that it is mostly a form of fructose, and research is indicating fructose is the cause of so much obesity and insulin resistance. Geeze...can't win for losing...

Even if IP products have some sugar alcohols in them, they are in controlled amounts. When I read 'sugar-free' on a label, my brain says it is a 'get out of jail free' card, and that simply is not true. Once you get to the freedom of maintenance, without the strict controls of Phase 1, you have to really stop and question everything you read on a label. Don't believe the marketing hype.
THANK YOU for sharing this info!!! I was wondering about sugar alcohols. I need to learn more!!

hugsssssss
thanks beautiful lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #13  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

I've seen people on this forum use Pure Protein bars as well. I checked the ingredients and though they are comparable to the food stats of IP bars, they do have maltitol. So does this mean they're off limits? I know some people on the alternative plan eat them without any negative effects on their weight loss.
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #14  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

My mom loss 50lbs in 15 weeks using those are her bar
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #15  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Seems like I read somewhere that splenda/sucralose has a very high GI, but that is one my coach has recommended. I could swear he said it would not affect my pancreas. How can that be???

I have also heard that Stevia has a 0 GI, which is great!

Does anybody know for sure? Should I abandon Splenda for Stevia????
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote