Sugar Alcohols - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinseattle View Post
I've seen people on this forum use Pure Protein bars as well. I checked the ingredients and though they are comparable to the food stats of IP bars, they do have maltitol. So does this mean they're off limits? I know some people on the alternative plan eat them without any negative effects on their weight loss.
Here's what I'd do: compare the nutrition labels of the IP bars with the Pure Protein bars. Look at the 'sugar alcohols' for the number of grams used and what kind it is, i.e., something with 'ol' on the end of the name, like maltitol, the most common one. Since we are using IP as the standard here for our diet, I'd use that value as safe for ketosis. If the Pure Protein has significantly more, I'd switch or limit it. The thing is, not all sugar alcohols are the same, as shown by the glycemic index. Just something to be aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Seems like I read somewhere that splenda/sucralose has a very high GI, but that is one my coach has recommended. I could swear he said it would not affect my pancreas. How can that be???

I have also heard that Stevia has a 0 GI, which is great!

Does anybody know for sure? Should I abandon Splenda for Stevia????
Some time back, I posted about sweeteners triggering the brain to crave more sweets, regardless of what sweetener it is. This was a research study. I have found nothing online that says splenda actually stimulates the pancreas, a very different thing, as any diabetic will tell you. Maybe there is research showing it does, but I haven't found it.

I use stevia in packets, but there aren't many products that use it, so if you're in Phase 1, there isn't much choice...
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #17  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

I don't use any sugar alcohols...as I learned early on they WILL knock me out of ketosis. Also, my understanding on IP is we do not go by net carbs...only total carbs and it must be under 9 total carbs to have it...someone correct this if I have it wrong.

I gave up long ago trying to find a protein bar with zero sugar alcohols and under 9 carbs total and also zero sugar carbs.

SO I do no restricted items at all and drink only water...I just want done with phase 1 fast as possible.

Sugar alcohols do not affect us all the same. Some people can get away with having them...I cannot.
Cheers
Jake
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

All the sweet ip products have sucralose which is what Splenda is.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #19  

Well as for the labels i found a few on the
http://idealtogo.com/idealproducts.taf
if you click on most of the products you will get a nutrition label.
As for the sugar alcohols well if it says no sugar but it has carbs then there must be something in it. It's always a tip off. Read your labels carefully.
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Does anybody know where the nutrition labels are for IP? I used to have a clinic that listed the details bookmarked but can't find it. Thought it was here under the stickies but couldn't find it.

I think my point is that sugar alcohol labeling is very misleading. They can say 'no sugar added' or 'sugar free' on a label and you may think you can eat all you want (in maintenance especially), but the impact on blood sugar is NOT ZERO and depending on which sugar alcohol they used, should be regarded as sugar.
celtsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtsune View Post
Well as for the labels i found a few on the
http://idealtogo.com/idealproducts.taf
if you click on most of the products you will get a nutrition label.
As for the sugar alcohols well if it says no sugar but it has carbs then there must be something in it. It's always a tip off. Read your labels carefully.
CJ
Thanks ! I looked at two of the IP bars and they do indeed have maltitol, 3 grams of it. But remember, we can only have one of these a day at the very most, so that must not be enough to cause a problem with most folks. I didn't have problems with the bars, but when I got into maintenance and had foods that had much more maltitol, lordy, it was bad.... stomach and blood sugar fiasco. I don't see sugar alcohol listed for any other IP products, so it can't be in them, as they'd have to list it. The carbs must come from the whey or other ingredients in them.

So, you folks using alternatives, maybe you should try and find one with 3 grams maltitol at the most.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 158/146/145

Height: 5'8"

Default sucralose

My coach says no artificial sweeteners because I am prediabetic and trying to let my pancreas "rest". She said Sweet Leaf brand stevia is ok in very small amounts. You also have to stevia labels. There are few that are just the plant extract.
obviously, the limited foods have sugars and sweeteners, but we shouldn't add to it.
wendyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #22  
IP Start: 8/15/12

S/C/G: 286/217/158

Height: 5'6"

I was just reading through an IP "FAQS_PROTOCOL-MEDICAL" pdf I had saved and it says:
"There are many different types of sugar alcohols, some are more easily absorbed (xylitol) and some are absorbed very poorly (erythritol). If they are absorbed, they can affect blood sugar. As a rule of thumb, divided the grams of sugar alcohols by 2 and consider that the number of grams of carbs that are being consumed."
stargirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote