Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #16  

S/C/G: re-start date 4/1/13

Height: 5'5"

MMMMM...I am going to try those Jicama fries! Thank you for a new idea!
iwiggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
what does it taste like???
Rainbow, it is sweet, and sort of tastes like apple. I had never had it before IP, but wow, it is super good.

I made oven fries with it, sprinkled with cinnamon and stevia.

My son's GF just eats them raw like apples.

But be prepared...You will need an ax!
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #18  
IP Start: 8/15/12

S/C/G: 286/217/158

Height: 5'6"

Jicama Hashbrowns

This is a "Must Try!" I would certainly reduce the oil, but otherwise, looks really good!

Borrowed from: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-ala-cleo.html

One jicama, peeled and shredded
1/4 of a green pepper diced
1/4 of an onion, diced
Salt/pepper to taste
Oil

Using a 2 quart saucepan, fill it about 1/2 way with water and sprinkle salt.
Get the water boiling and put in the shredded jicama. Let it boil for 15 minutes or so until the jicama is soft. Then drain the jicama in a colander that has small holes in it..Press down with a large spoon so the water releases.

In a frying pan, place about 2 Tbs. of oil. Mix the jicama in a bowl with the green pepper and onion and spices. In the heated oil place mounds of the
jicama mixture and flatten out with a spoon. Cook until they are slightly browned on one side, then flip if you can. The patties won't stay together, but you can scramble them until they are hot and the other veggies are soft.
Serve as you would hashbrowns.

One baseball sized jicama might make 3 servings. And one cup of jicama has 5 net carbs.

Note: The jicama I bought wasn't hard as rock and easy to cut and shred, so it might have taken less time. I was totally surprised how the shredded jicama softened up nicely in the boiling water. It tasted very much like real
taters...
stargirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #19  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post
Rainbow, it is sweet, and sort of tastes like apple. I had never had it before IP, but wow, it is super good.

I made oven fries with it, sprinkled with cinnamon and stevia.

My son's GF just eats them raw like apples.

But be prepared...You will need an ax!
thank you sweet lady
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #20  

Quote:
thank you sweet lady
Well you are most welcome! that was the easiest thing I have done all day, and got a nice thank you for it!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #21  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

[QUOTE=Delgen;
But be prepared...You will need an ax![/QUOTE]

So true! I thought the skin would just peel away, lol. I dipped them into some WF caramel sauce today just like an apple. So good.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
So true! I thought the skin would just peel away, lol. I dipped them into some WF caramel sauce today just like an apple. So good.
I have used a mandolin and peeled the skin off in very small strips. It worked a lot better than trying to peel the whole thing.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #23  
Feed Your Freedom

ok....so just got back from a crazy friday afternoon drive across town for a jicama...WHAT WAS I THINKING hahaha all those crazy drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
so, just had to TRY it....sliced one edge off, not too hard to slice off and not too hard to peel that small slice....then i sliced it thin and took a nibble...ok, not bad really...a faint apple resemblance. interesting!!!

i did get out a tiny bit of wf caramel dip, (don't really like it!! haha) so i added 1 tbsp of the wf maple syrup to thin it out and make it creamy....and that wasn't too bad. not exactly caramel apples....but not bad for a veggie!!

but with my try something NEW each week...i will have to decide what to do with it now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl66 View Post
Jicama Hashbrowns

This is a "Must Try!" I would certainly reduce the oil, but otherwise, looks really good!

Borrowed from: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-ala-cleo.html

One jicama, peeled and shredded
1/4 of a green pepper diced
1/4 of an onion, diced
Salt/pepper to taste
Oil

Using a 2 quart saucepan, fill it about 1/2 way with water and sprinkle salt.
Get the water boiling and put in the shredded jicama. Let it boil for 15 minutes or so until the jicama is soft. Then drain the jicama in a colander that has small holes in it..Press down with a large spoon so the water releases.

In a frying pan, place about 2 Tbs. of oil. Mix the jicama in a bowl with the green pepper and onion and spices. In the heated oil place mounds of the
jicama mixture and flatten out with a spoon. Cook until they are slightly browned on one side, then flip if you can. The patties won't stay together, but you can scramble them until they are hot and the other veggies are soft.
Serve as you would hashbrowns.

One baseball sized jicama might make 3 servings. And one cup of jicama has 5 net carbs.

Note: The jicama I bought wasn't hard as rock and easy to cut and shred, so it might have taken less time. I was totally surprised how the shredded jicama softened up nicely in the boiling water. It tasted very much like real
taters...
now this recipe interests me...do you think with an egg white it would bind together????
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #24  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Shelly - Just sliced it thin with a madoline and put it on the dehydator trays - took 3 -4 hours at about 140. I added a little salt. Scorbett suggested cinamon and stevia or spelenda - probably will try that this weekend. Was a bit chewy, but even my friends not on IP liked it.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 201/???/140

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the recipes Gang! Got my fries in the oven now; my father-in-law is skeptical - I told him he's in for a treat. One thing about this program; I've been trying more vegies that I've never heard of before.Not even sure how you pronounce jicama.
njkmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #26  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

I think it's pronounced he-ki-ma.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #27  
Feed Your Freedom

yep lizzy....thats right....i looked it up before i went to the store haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWi4x0LuO1E
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #28  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkmaine View Post
Thanks for the recipes Gang! Got my fries in the oven now; my father-in-law is skeptical - I told him he's in for a treat. One thing about this program; I've been trying more vegies that I've never heard of before.Not even sure how you pronounce jicama.
It's pronounced "HICKama"
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #29  
Feed Your Freedom

Default crispy jicama bacon????? say what???!!!!

seriously.....that looks so good!!! i need a dehydrator!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingredients:
1 jicama peeled, and sliced paper-thin into rounds, strips, or chopped into 1/4 inch dice for bacon bits
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marinade:
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1-2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon maple syrup (could use wf maple syrup???)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Lay jicama out on parchment paper.

2. Coat both sides of jicama with a marinade. If making bacon bits, just mix the marinade with the jicama and spread onto parchment.

3. Dehydrate until crisp, flipping and transferring to mesh sheets 1/2 way through. The jicama may take up to 24 hours to get really crispy.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #30  
IP Start: 8/15/12

S/C/G: 286/217/158

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
ok....so just got back from a crazy friday afternoon drive across town for a jicama...WHAT WAS I THINKING hahaha all those crazy drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, just had to TRY it....sliced one edge off, not too hard to slice off and not too hard to peel that small slice....then i sliced it thin and took a nibble...ok, not bad really...a faint apple resemblance. interesting!!!

i did get out a tiny bit of wf caramel dip, (don't really like it!! haha) so i added 1 tbsp of the wf maple syrup to thin it out and make it creamy....and that wasn't too bad. not exactly caramel apples....but not bad for a veggie!!

but with my try something NEW each week...i will have to decide what to do with it now!!

now this recipe interests me...do you think with an egg white it would bind together????
Re: Jicama Hashbrowns, I was wondering the same thing. I don't think it would hurt to try.

Quote:
seriously.....that looks so good!!! i need a dehydrator!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingredients:
1 jicama peeled, and sliced paper-thin into rounds, strips, or chopped into 1/4 inch dice for bacon bits
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marinade:
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1-2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon maple syrup (could use wf maple syrup???)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Lay jicama out on parchment paper.

2. Coat both sides of jicama with a marinade. If making bacon bits, just mix the marinade with the jicama and spread onto parchment.

3. Dehydrate until crisp, flipping and transferring to mesh sheets 1/2 way through. The jicama may take up to 24 hours to get really crispy.
This looks wonderful! I'm officially shopping for a dehydrator

Last edited by stargirl66; 08-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.
stargirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote