Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #1  
Started IP 02/01/2012

S/C/G: 179.6/156.4/145

Height: 5'4

Default How long is phase 4?

Hi Ive been reading ppl's experiences with p3 and im scared :s and Im curious as to whats involved in p4? Is this maitenence? Same thing? Thanks guys!!
idealme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Hi - Phase 2 replaces an IP meal with another animal protein meal so the body starts getting used to digesting that. Phase 3 wakes up the pancreas in a controlled fashion by having the kickstarter breakfast that allows certain amounts of the fruits/grains/dairy. It's when you fall out of ketosis. You can gain a little as the glycogen builds up again, but I did and then lost it, so just go with the flow, I say.

Phase 4 is what you maintain in for the rest of your life. You get to add complex carbs, and all the vegees you want. The key is not to have a meal with lots of carbs and lots of fats at the same time. Lunch has fats but minimal complex carbs; dinner has complex carbs but minimal fat. They are not as specific on how many tomatoes, for example, but I'm thinking that the knowledge and habits we picked up in Phase 1, such as watching how many times we have things like that, will carry over. Your body is supposed to be able to handle those kind of sugars by now, but I still want to be cautious.

They say that people tend to gain 5-10 pds over a year, so then they go back to 'boot camp' and do Phase 1 for a week or so. That's fine with me. If I can stay healthy and never get to my prior health, I'll be happy. Some people find that they just can't handle the complex carbs, or some of them, so they just stay away from them. Phase 4 is where you really get to know what your body can handle and what works for you long-term. It's scary but actually empowering too.

Good luck! You can do it! The "Life after Phase 1" and "Maintainers" threads have lots of great info.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Thank you for asking this question, as it's been on my mind too.
Sewmam, thank you for such a thoughtful answer!
I'm already a little nervous about P4, and I'm still only in P1! lol
Dakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

You're very welcome, my dear! Of course, I've only been on Phase 4 for a few weeks, so what do I know? I was so stressed at first that I wanted to help other people with it too. The people who have done it much longer are a real inspiration and source of knowledge, so I'm banking on them too.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #5  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I have been on maintenance for a year Memorial Day...I belong to a group of women on Facebook that were very active on this forumn 2years ago and I have a group of women at work that did this diet too. All gained weight over the course of a year...some more than others. Everyone was up at least 10 pounds at some point regardless of what they lost....it seems the more people lost...the more gain. Reboot is crucial. I really want to weight 157-165...so I am shooting to get below 150 so that I can handle some gain. I have the 10 I gained plus another 10 to get me through this reboot.

All and all...never stop weighing in....stay focused and do your phase one style days. Good luck
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
I have been on maintenance for a year Memorial Day...I belong to a group of women on Facebook that were very active on this forumn 2years ago and I have a group of women at work that did this diet too. All gained weight over the course of a year...some more than others. Everyone was up at least 10 pounds at some point regardless of what they lost....it seems the more people lost...the more gain. Reboot is crucial. I really want to weight 157-165...so I am shooting to get below 150 so that I can handle some gain. I have the 10 I gained plus another 10 to get me through this reboot.

All and all...never stop weighing in....stay focused and do your phase one style days. Good luck
Do you think the majority gain weight over the end of year holidays...from Thanksgiving to Christmas? From reading the maintenance threads that seems to be when folks gain and then do an annual reboot in January?

I know six or seven ppl from my town who did IP and are in maintenance. One completely failed and quit. The others gained during the holidays and rebooted...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I really believe in the Monday to Friday diet for the long term... If you can get back n track on Monday, sat n sun can be free days...
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I have been thinking all along that phase 4 is "just" maintenance, the way you will have to eat for the rest of your life. Is that correct?

Actually I was really struck by some advice Ishbel posted on another thread. She was being honoured for her great success at a TOPS gathering. A woman who had lost a lot of weight and kept it off for many years told her the secret was if you gained a pound one day, get it off the next. Very challenging but something I am keeping in mind.

I was very interested in Darb's comment that everyone in the group she knew had regained but it was more for people people who had lost more.
My body seems to have decided it wants to be 129 to 130.It has stayed the same for months now on phase 1. So I have gone on through phases 2 and 3. I really don't want to gain in phase 4 as 10 pounds at my size would be a big difference. So I am going to have to keep monitoring weight daily and catch any drift in the wrong direction quickly.

This will be it for the long haul.

Pat

Last edited by patns; 04-22-2012 at 11:28 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Phase 4 is maintenance and intended to be for the rest of your life. Many of us in maintenance have found, however, that the IP P4 protocol needs modification to suit our individual preferences and metabolisms. People tolerate different carbs differently. Maintenance is figuring to out what is going to work for you in the long run.
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #10  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Do you think the majority gain weight over the end of year holidays...from Thanksgiving to Christmas? From reading the maintenance threads that seems to be when folks gain and then do an annual reboot in January?

I know six or seven ppl from my town who did IP and are in maintenance. One completely failed and quit. The others gained during the holidays and rebooted...
Not sure...the problems lies in the safety of phase 1. I was so good and focused from June until Christmas of last year on maintenance and kept the weight off....then I got lazy and bam....on came 10-13 pounds. I have been on phase 1 for a week now (today) and have only lost less than one pound...I am scared to say the least. With that said....I started exercise more intensely this week...so I am not going to get to discouraged.

I think alot of people gain the weight because they avoid the scale...my number one recommendation...step on the scale every week.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 138/120/115

Height: 5'5

Momto2cs -

Are you saying to do Phase 1 Monday through Friday, and use Saturday and Sunday as the "free days"?

This is kind of what I'm thinking will work best for me, too.

What I was thinking is Phase 1 Sunday - Thursday, Friday - Saturday free days. I do better with extremes, like if I have a very set structure during the week and then can completely relax for weekends.

Has anyone tried this technique? Any luck?

Big hugs!
c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
I really believe in the Monday to Friday diet for the long term... If you can get back n track on Monday, sat n sun can be free days...
chremme is offline   Reply With Quote