Fun with Veggie Purees!

You're on Page 3 of 15
Go to
  • Quote: i made a rhubarb puree today and put some on my crispy cereal pancake for lunch. I had some left and was just going to eat it but instead I added some crushed ice and water and blended it in my magic bullet for a yummy slush!
    My puree was frozen rhubarb microwaved until mushy and some WF strawberry syrup.
  • Would you be able to mix these wonderful purees up ahead of time (while we still have fresh veggies in our gardens) and put in a ziploc and freeze? or would they seperate?
  • Thank you Liz!

I'm starving today and this was what I needed...

I'm going to go make dinner
  • Quote: My puree was frozen rhubarb microwaved until mushy and some WF strawberry syrup.
    I used to make it the same way, but added the gelatin for the texture of 'jam' and the cheap collagen boost for any kind of benefit it has for skin elasticity!
  • Quote: Would you be able to mix these wonderful purees up ahead of time (while we still have fresh veggies in our gardens) and put in a ziploc and freeze? or would they seperate?
    I am not an expert, but i dont see why they wouldnt keep in the freezer just fine.
  • Quote: I used to make it the same way, but added the gelatin for the texture of 'jam' and the cheap collagen boost for any kind of benefit it has for skin elasticity!
    My skin sure could use some firming up now!
  • Thank you LizRR- we had roasted pepper with tomato puree for dinner tonight, over zucchini "noodles"- so delicious. Now I wish I had made a double batch and frozen one. I am sure this would freeze very well. At least I know for next time!
  • Quote: that cracked me up!!!! so true!!! time to get the axe out!! woot woot
    OMG I thought it was just my rutabagas! I hadn't had them before and was swearing and throwing knives around like a circus act. my poor bf was afraid to come into the kitchen.
  • Why does LizRR add Celery in all of her purees?
    I tend to add at least 4 ribs of celery to just about every puree. I do this because some of the Select Veggies are 'carbier' than others and I know that Celery (& Cucumbers) are some of the lightest ones on the list.

I find the roasted celery to have such a mild flavor, usually I don't even taste it, and it just adds more 'filling' to the purees - which blend down tremendously.

Also, I add a few stalks of raw celery to some purees when I need more 'structure' (like the Salsa puree). Sometimes they come out pretty thin and a few stalks can help fluff it up some.

I blend it down very well, the fibrous tissue get completely pulverized in my full size blender - every machine is different though, so if you find it gets in the way of your particular puree and taste buds, then by all means feel free to omit.
  • Quote: It's TRUE! Those babies can be THICK!!!
    HA. This is true. I bought one the other day and I ended up throwing it away b/c my hand was hurting trying to cut through that thing.
    I might have to give it another shot.
  • Liz, have you ever added raw onion to the puree? I know we can't cook the onion but it would only be pulverized in the Ninja or whatever device is used to puree the veggies.... what do you think?
  • Quote: HA. This is true. I bought one the other day and I ended up throwing it away b/c my hand was hurting trying to cut through that thing.
    I might have to give it another shot.
    I don't think there is an easy way to cut rutabagas. I use my largest chef knife to slice a little off one side to level the rutabaga, peel it with a potato peeler, then I start the cut and push on top of the blade with a flat hand and push on the handle, starting from the outside in. When I get to a thick part, I flip the rutabaga and start from the outside in again.

You can try putting it in a bowl, covered with water and steam for about 5 minutes on medium in the microwave to see if the knife would go through easier.
  • Quote: Liz, have you ever added raw onion to the puree? I know we can't cook the onion but it would only be pulverized in the Ninja or whatever device is used to puree the veggies.... what do you think?
    Of course you can add raw onion! Personally, I don't like raw onions, which is why I don't have them in any of my recipes, but I bet they would add a good flavor in something like the salsa.
  • Thank You for this information
    Quote: By popular demand, a thread on our favorite veggie puree's and different ways we use them for majah' flavah'!!!

Here are some rough estimates I use to measure my veggies:
    1 medium cauliflower ~ 4 cups chopped
    1 rib celery ~ 1/2 cup chopped
    1 medium bell pepper or poblano ~ 1 cup chopped
    4 jalapenos ~ 1 cup choppped
    1 medium zucchini ~ 2 cups chopped
    1lb asparagus ~ 2 cups chopped

*Keep in mind your puree will blend down tremendously, so it's a good idea to parse it out after you make it to keep 'track' of just how many cups of veggies you are consuming.

*Note: I tend to add 'extra' celery to my purees, not only does it add structure, but it's a "lighter" veggie that can help balance out some of the carbier ones on the Select list.

*Check your labels and with your coach - the 1 cup of Chicken Broth I use adds 5 calories from 1g protein.

BEWARE!!! CAUTION!!! When blending hot items keep the stopper off the top of your blender or else you will face a steam explosion when you take off your blender top!

...Now on to the puree's!
  • Mmm I just made a puree of 3 roasted red peppers, 2 roasted jalapenos, roasted celery, and garlic. Blended it all down with salt and pepper, thinned it with some water and a little oil.

Delicious on my miracle noodles!!