Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I found jicama at Safeway in fort mcmurray. If we have it Edmonton must too!
It was in the section eith fresh noodles...
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #62  

I tried making roast cauliflower in the Actifry last night. I love roast cauli in the oven, it was as good in the Actifry. Same deep brown, just chewier than made in the oven, but very very good!!! Will make again this way!!!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 221/163/130

Height: 5'2"

I like to add 3oz of protein to my salads at lunchtime as I have a hard time eating it all at supper so I have made cooked ground turkey in large batches in the actifry. I then package it in 3oz zip locks & freeze. I just grab one when needed. I use minced garlic & Worcester sauce while its cooking. Super easy & fast. I do up 4 lbs in two batches & it takes about 40 minutes total.
Wild wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #64  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild wire View Post
I like to add 3oz of protein to my salads at lunchtime as I have a hard time eating it all at supper so I have made cooked ground turkey in large batches in the actifry. I then package it in 3oz zip locks & freeze. I just grab one when needed. I use minced garlic & Worcester sauce while its cooking. Super easy & fast. I do up 4 lbs in two batches & it takes about 40 minutes total.
That's a good idea.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #65  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

So I've read these posts again and decided that it is almost time to buy one. Maybe this will be my get-to-goal gift. Searching on-line, I see there are different sizes / models. One does about 2lbs of food and the other about 3. Any comments about which model you recommend? I am on my own but tend to cook for leftovers too so really cooking for 2.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #66  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
So I've read these posts again and decided that it is almost time to buy one. Maybe this will be my get-to-goal gift. Searching on-line, I see there are different sizes / models. One does about 2lbs of food and the other about 3. Any comments about which model you recommend? I am on my own but tend to cook for leftovers too so really cooking for 2.
I started this thread months ago. I still love my Actifry. In fact, we just finished "fajitas" with left over meat and some veggies. I think the different sizes only came about lately. When I bought mine, it was one was white and one was black. I just searched for the least expensive. It's probably 2lb, but it works for meals for DH and myself. Hope that helps.

Molly
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #67  
Started IP 1/14/2012

I just made my first Actifry meal and while I could have done things better, the food combo worked so here is what I should have done.

Salmon with orange glaze and Fennel

Cut fennel bulb into uniform pieces and put in the Actifry with 1/4 to 1/2 spoon of oil (I used grapeseed). Set the timer for about 24 minutes.

Cut 8 oz salmon into 1 inch cubes.
Take 1/4 cup of WF Orange marmalade and heat for 20-30 seconds in the microwave to soften it. I added a 1/2 tsp of olive oil, salt and pepper to this and then poured it over the salmon cubes and let it sit to marinade for a few minutes.

When there is about 10 minutes left on the Actifry timer, add the salmon with the marinade. Cook for the remaining time and serve.

I also made broccoli but didn't follow Molly's posted recipe. I think the lemon would have made it better but I also didn't cook it enough as I did that before the salmon dish and I was too hungry to wait. It was good enough to try it again though. Good thing I bought the Costco size bag as I'll be cooking a lot of it this week.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #68  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Bump!
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #69  
Started IP 1/14/2012

Thanks for the reminder. I've been using my new Actifry a lot and here are some of the items I've figured out.

1. Jicama fries - yum! I baked them until they had nice colour, then sprinkled them with cinnamon and stevia and put them back in for another 5-6 minutes. The end result was a nice crispy sweet fry.

2. I roasted whole red peppers by removing the paddle and putting in 4 peppers on their side. I had to check the machine every 5-7 minutes to turn the peppers but they got nicely charred just like they would grilling. I think they may have taken a bit longer than on the grill but I didn't have to watch them as much.

3. Broccoli and cauliflower turn out good but a little more chewy like Mompattie mentioned. I tried steaming the broccoli for about 4 minutes in the microwave first and then putting it into the Actifry. I preferred it this way and the spices I added also stuck better so there was more flavour. I sprinkled with lemon juice in the last couple minutes.

4. Mushrooms work great. I also added zucchini slices after starting the mushrooms first and first the whole process before the zucchini got mushy.

5. Lemon pepper cabbage recipe from Finn Steven recipe thread. I cut the cabbage into pieces smaller than the wedge i would normally do in the oven. I added half the lemon/lime juice at the beginning and half part way through. It went much faster in the Actifry and I will make this recipe this way from now on.

6. Pork loin medallions. I cooked these in the pan first but the spices that I put on the outside where getting overly charred before the inside was done. So I finished it off in the Actifry and it was perfect and moist.

7. Roasted garlic. I put a whole unpeeled head of garlic in when I was roasting the peppers. It was done after 10 or 15 minutes (normally I do 45 in the oven). It was yummy soft and I added this to the roasted red peppers to make LizRRs puree.

8. Tofu, cubed. I did the Maple glaze recipe I found in the recipe threads. Crispy exterior yet moist inside. Definitely a do again in the Actifry.

9. I've done the buffalo chicken strips idea found here and loved it.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #70  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I've been using my new Actifry a lot and here are some of the items I've figured out.

1. Jicama fries - yum! I baked them until they had nice colour, then sprinkled them with cinnamon and stevia and put them back in for another 5-6 minutes. The end result was a nice crispy sweet fry.

2. I roasted whole red peppers by removing the paddle and putting in 4 peppers on their side. I had to check the machine every 5-7 minutes to turn the peppers but they got nicely charred just like they would grilling. I think they may have taken a bit longer than on the grill but I didn't have to watch them as much.

3. Broccoli and cauliflower turn out good but a little more chewy like Mompattie mentioned. I tried steaming the broccoli for about 4 minutes in the microwave first and then putting it into the Actifry. I preferred it this way and the spices I added also stuck better so there was more flavour. I sprinkled with lemon juice in the last couple minutes.

4. Mushrooms work great. I also added zucchini slices after starting the mushrooms first and first the whole process before the zucchini got mushy.

5. Lemon pepper cabbage recipe from Finn Steven recipe thread. I cut the cabbage into pieces smaller than the wedge i would normally do in the oven. I added half the lemon/lime juice at the beginning and half part way through. It went much faster in the Actifry and I will make this recipe this way from now on.

6. Pork loin medallions. I cooked these in the pan first but the spices that I put on the outside where getting overly charred before the inside was done. So I finished it off in the Actifry and it was perfect and moist.

7. Roasted garlic. I put a whole unpeeled head of garlic in when I was roasting the peppers. It was done after 10 or 15 minutes (normally I do 45 in the oven). It was yummy soft and I added this to the roasted red peppers to make LizRRs puree.

8. Tofu, cubed. I did the Maple glaze recipe I found in the recipe threads. Crispy exterior yet moist inside. Definitely a do again in the Actifry.

9. I've done the buffalo chicken strips idea found here and loved it.
Question about the jicama fries. When you said bake, were you referring to the oven or the Actifry. Did you start them in the oven, then season them and add them to the Actifry or cook them totally in the Actifry?

Thanks
Molly
Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #71  
Started IP 1/14/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Question about the jicama fries. When you said bake, were you referring to the oven or the Actifry. Did you start them in the oven, then season them and add them to the Actifry or cook them totally in the Actifry?

Thanks
Molly
I put them straight into the actifry and sprayed a bit of oil on at first. After they were almost fully done, I added the cinnamon and sweetener. They still had a bit of crunch but I like them that way.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #72  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

FREE Today on Amazon: Kindle Edition - The Actifry Cookbook

http://www.amazon.com/Actifry-Cookbo...ywords=actifry

Last edited by LizRR; 11-24-2013 at 01:57 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #73  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
FREE Today on Amazon: Kindle Edition - The Actifry Cookbook

http://www.amazon.com/Actifry-Cookbo...ywords=actifry
Just checked, back at $7. Too bad I missed it.

BTW, hi Liz.

Still love my actifry. Just used it night before last.

Molly
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #74  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

Bought one of these for DH for his birthday, and I've been the one using it! I've made rutabaga (WF Maple Syrup & Cayenne), peppers & chicken cooked with WF Maple Syrup & WF Apricot Jam (need to figure out how to make it saucier). Something else that's escaping my brain right now.

It's fun to play with!
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:47 AM   #75  

Height: 5'2

Default Actifry

Hi All,

I am wondering if any of you have used the T-Fal Actifry on Phase 1. Please let me know what your experience is with it.

Thanks!

S.
stephascope is offline   Reply With Quote