Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 238/191/148

Height: 5'9"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefany1769 View Post
Ah well, I guess I am still a newby, I didnt get the links to work the way they are supposed to. If anyone knows how please tell me and I will fix it.

I posted this in yesterdays chat, but I am the last of the time zones so I wasn't sure if anyone would see it.

So I am getting really dissapointed in myself. As some of you might have read I went to Valdez for a week (on a boat fulltime) and was battling sea sickness. I ended up eating a lot of extra protien, which hasnt given me a problem... its the restricteds!!! I ate two a day on the boat in an effort to battle the nasea and I made myself even more miserable by feeling really guilty about it.

Now that I am home I am having a hard time NOT eating two restricteds in a day. I am really struggling here.... I feel ridiculous to be this close to goal and I am letting this happen! UGH!!! Im pretty disgusted with myself right now.

So far I was able to have two days in a row that I did not give in to the second restricted. But today I caved again!!! I had found a restricted in one of my bags that I brought on the trip with me. Instead of putting it away, out of sight, I left it sitting on the bar next to where I eat dinner.... The dinner I made was really spicy, and well it went downhill from there. So mad at myself!

These are some of the things I have been doing to keep myself from having more than one:
I have not gone in to my store and resupplied since being back, I have even run out of my chocolate drinks.
I have taken all of the restricteds that I had at work brought them home. I only take one to work with me so I have no choice.
I have made sure to put them out of sight at home... out of sight, out of mind right?
I have been keeping busy. I work all day, come home and then leave a half an hour later to bring my son to football practice, I stay there with him until 8pm, I come home and make dinner and go to bed.

I know that the only thing that will really help me is my own will power, but I want to set myself up for success. What I listed above are some of the steps I have taken in order to make myself more successful. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than throwing all the restricteds out (too expensive for that), that I am not already doing?

Question: Why are nuts bad for us on this diet? Is it the natural amount of carbs in them? Or is it the fat content?

Thank you for any help or encouragement in advance. Oh and I dont think I need tough love, lol I'm already doing that enough for myself....
OMG. Steph. Don't be so hard on yourself. I know you can overcome this last hurdle, look at how far you have come! I hope and pray I have the stick-to-it-ness to make it to where you are. (we are the same height and my goal is similar to yours) Even with your 2 restricted cheats, you are an inspiration to me. Staying on plan is a struggle that we are all battling, nothing worth having is easy.

Have you tried pre-planning your meals, set aside what you are going to eat? Are you writing in your journal?

Re: Nuts, my coach said that they are bad because of the fat content. True confession. I have had a few cashews from time to time. I don't know what it is about them but they have been extraordinarily good to me since I have been on this diet. I think I may crave them because sometimes I forget to add the olive oil to my meal.
lotusflowerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #17  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
wasn't sure if anyone would see it.

So I am getting really dissapointed in myself. As some of you might have read I went to Valdez for a week (on a boat fulltime) and was battling sea sickness. I ended up eating a lot of extra protien, which hasnt given me a problem... its the restricteds!!! I ate two a day on the boat in an effort to battle the nasea and I made myself even more miserable by feeling really guilty about it.

Now that I am home I am having a hard time NOT eating two restricteds in a day. I am really struggling here.... I feel ridiculous to be this close to goal and I am letting this happen! UGH!!! Im pretty disgusted with myself right now.

So far I was able to have two days in a row that I did not give in to the second restricted. But today I caved again!!! I had found a restricted in one of my bags that I brought on the trip with me. Instead of putting it away, out of sight, I left it sitting on the bar next to where I eat dinner.... The dinner I made was really spicy, and well it went downhill from there. So mad at myself!

These are some of the things I have been doing to keep myself from having more than one:
I have not gone in to my store and resupplied since being back, I have even run out of my chocolate drinks.
I have taken all of the restricteds that I had at work brought them home. I only take one to work with me so I have no choice.
I have made sure to put them out of sight at home... out of sight, out of mind right?
I have been keeping busy. I work all day, come home and then leave a half an hour later to bring my son to football practice, I stay there with him until 8pm, I come home and make dinner and go to bed.

I know that the only thing that will really help me is my own will power, but I want to set myself up for success. What I listed above are some of the steps I have taken in order to make myself more successful. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than throwing all the restricteds out (too expensive for that), that I am not already doing?

Question: Why are nuts bad for us on this diet? Is it the natural amount of carbs in them? Or is it the fat content?

Thank you for any help or encouragement in advance. Oh and I dont think I need tough love, lol I'm already doing that enough for myself....
I feel for you because I have the same problem. Some of my favorite protein bars just seem to sing a siren song to me....

I'm far better off not having them around to tempt me. So I agree with Chloe222's advice.

One suggestion... I've noticed that sometimes I eat my meals and snacks too quickly... and if I don't take enough time to really enjoy the food's taste and texture I'll find myself wanting more/another. This generally happens if I'm eating while reading, or checking in here at 3fatchicks, or watching TV. Anything really that's occupying my attention at the same time as I'm eating. This is said to be true of eating in general... eat meals and snacks when you can devote 100% of your attention to what you're eating. Take the time to thoroughly chew and 'ruminate on' whatever you're putting in your mouth. Otherwise you barely register the taste and texture of the food item and when finished have less sense of satisfaction and enjoyment. In the case of the protein bars, perhaps cut it up into bite-size pieces and savour them slowly - one bit at a time. It takes much longer to eat it that way, and you have a much more 'complete' eating experience. Some people even freeze them and cut up the frozen bar into pieces. Also try having it with a hot cup of tea or coffee... sip some hot tea/coffee between bites/chews of the bar. Really slow down the process. Perhaps when you feel like you've thoroughly enjoyed 1 bar, you won't feel so much like you need/want the second one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
NSV

Just called to change a duty belt ordered a few weeks ago from a 52 to a 48! I started with a 60 and I just got a 54 that is already too small!
Congrats! You are doing great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
I'm going to respond to you as if you were my best friend: DO NOT BUY ANY MORE!! TAKE WHAT YOU HAVE AND HAVE A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER STORE THEM FOR YOU.

I know we talk about will power as if its something you either have or don't - but will power is something that is strengthened over time and for many, at this early point in the IP journey, we aren't always paragons of virtue that can just turn our backs on a second bar...so make it easy on yourself adn just don't use them but make it REALLY EASY by not having them remotely available. That's what I'd say to my best friend.
Agreed. I've found it's best for me to keep certain food items (bars in particular) out of the house. It's nice to think I have good willpower, but I see no need to test it that way every day. I'm having a bit of a 'stall' myself right now. If the scale doesn't move downward next week, I think I may have to try a Boot Camp week and see if I can get my motor revved up again.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #18  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
NSV

Just called to change a duty belt ordered a few weeks ago from a 52 to a 48! I started with a 60 and I just got a 54 that is already too small!
too small huh???...haha....I think you meant too BIG!!. Great job

Step, like the others said don't beat yourself up, you had 2 restricted its better than eating something not on program. Hang in there, you are almost there!

Good morning everyone, Happy Friday! I have a family gathering this weekend so it will be fun filled. Its my grand niece's 2nd birthday! My mom and brothers are coming as well, I have to drive an hour west and they have to drive 2.5 hrs east to get there....lol....suppose to be a good weekend so I am excited!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Ah well, I guess I am still a newby, I didnt get the links to work the way they are supposed to. If anyone knows how please tell me and I will fix it.

I posted this in yesterdays chat, but I am the last of the time zones so I wasn't sure if anyone would see it.

If this stuff was easy....!!! Well, you know where I am going with that. Give yourself a break, a hug, a stroke for how far you have come! Oh my gosh, amazing really! I have found this to be a real process and truly a journey in self discovery. The struggles that I hate, now seem so much a part of it!

Those darn restricteds call to me at times. When I felt I might really get to spiralling with them, I did a really hard thing. I did not have them around. Awhile on non-restricteds only seemed to help me "reset". Dang cravings for foods and sweets. I have soo lived with that. I am beginning to figure out parts of that, but still a struggle at times. I so relate and feel for you in this "call of the restricteds"!

Last edited by Samba; 07-13-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 185/171/145

Height: 5'4"

Woke up feeling incredibly guilty because I had eaten a huge slice of spice cake.....and then I realized it was only a dream and hadn't actually cheated!!!

Such relief upon realization that I am still OP. yay!!
vovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #21  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vovo View Post
Woke up feeling incredibly guilty because I had eaten a huge slice of spice cake.....and then I realized it was only a dream and hadn't actually cheated!!!

Such relief upon realization that I am still OP. yay!!
hahaha i did that before too...only it was a piece of bread...and i was SO THANKFUL WHEN I WOKE UP and realized it was only a dream!! dreams can be so real!! but that dream spurred me on to creating recipes that would satisfy that thought so all is good! haha
still....i was so mad at myself in my dream!! i was like, seriously, after 10 weeks and you cheat on a stupid piece of bread!! haha
i am learning to control the foods i eat, now if i could only control those dreams!! haha
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 219.2/188.6/170

Height: 5'10"

Steph - my thought on the 2 restricted is - if you're going to cheat, there are a lot worse options, right? I had 2 restricted yesterday and felt guilty for about 1 second! But, to get yourself to stop, think back to when you first started IP.....it took a lot of willpower, I'm sure. It sure did for me. But you did it. So, you can do this!!!!

I made it through my day of travel and meetings yesterday. Had a salad with a little turkey, ham and 1 egg on it for lunch. I did have some regular ranch dressing with it, but obviously didn't go overboard. Then had my snack on our drive home. For dinner I had a chicken breast. My only veggies for the day was rhubarb mixed in with IP oatmeal. So, I exchanged my second unrestricted for a restricted.

Today should be a better day. I need to get some more veggies though! I want to try jicama, rutabaga, turnips and kale.....
julied31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #23  
Start IP (again) 7/31/13

S/C/G: 231.2/224.4/131

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning All!! I'm on day 3 and still feeling really good. I'm really wondering if my body hasn't figured out what I'm doing yet. When did everyone notice a difference, did everyone have a yucky couple of days? I know, weird questions, but I have been mentally ready to just feel like crap and it hasn't happened yet. I told my daughter that she couldn't have any friends over this weekend just for that reason.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a great day!!!

-Jennifer
jennlnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #24  
Healthy Living :)

S/C/G: 235/*see ticker*/155

Height: 5'5

Thumbs up

Down another 2.2 lbs... Very happy with my WI
Ravenswood2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 238/191/148

Height: 5'9"

I have the opposite problem as Steph. I have a problem getting more than 2 unrestricted in a day. I feel guilty about even having a restricted. I have so many that have gone untouched. In my mind, restrstriced means restricted, if that makes any sense. Does anyone experienced foresee a problem with just having 2 unrestricteds and an OP lunch and dinner in my overall success with the plan?

Last edited by lotusflowerbomb; 07-13-2012 at 10:40 AM.
lotusflowerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #26  
Started IP 2/23/2012

S/C/G: 192.2/142.4/140

Steph- You are doing great. Just get over your 2 restricteds a day and move on. Plan out your day and let yourself have 1 restricted and no more!!! Have the restricted sometime where you were wanting that 2nd one. Maybe that will help.
mooselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #27  
Started IP 2/23/2012

S/C/G: 192.2/142.4/140

Well, my Mom and Sister leave this evening. I was going to start phase 3 today, but this week was really hard for me. We ended up eating out at least 1 meal a day and most places we went were not IP friendly. I had several food items not OP. This is why I have avoided eating out for the last 20 weeks. I feel so much better knowing I am in control. I am going to have a few more phase 1 or 2 days at home. I will move to phase 3 the day after my surgery. Ugh. Just not sure what to do. I am so scared to move on. I like the security of phase 1. I will be talking to my coach in an hour and see what she has to say. I know I can move back to phase 1 after I am done healing, but that seems scary too. Who knew getting close to goal could be so hard???!!!
mooselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 273/255/175

Height: 5'7"

Question: I had my weigh in at the clinic yesterday, which I don't take that seriously as I weigh myself at home. But she did the electro-thing that measures muscle and fat and water. My water is over 10% and has actually increased in the last month. Is this normal, the high school girl that does the weigh in said it should be less than 3% (but she doesn't seem to know much)? Should I be trying anything to decrease the water retention? Or is the electro-thing even worth taking seriously?

Thanks!
anitamarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:

So I am getting really dissapointed in myself. As some of you might have read I went to Valdez for a week (on a boat fulltime) and was battling sea sickness. I ended up eating a lot of extra protien, which hasnt given me a problem... its the restricted!!! I ate two a day on the boat in an effort to battle the nasea and I made myself even more miserable by feeling really guilty about it.

Now that I am home I am having a hard time NOT eating two restricted in a day. I am really struggling here.... I feel ridiculous to be this close to goal and I am letting this happen! UGH!!! Im pretty disgusted with myself right now.

I have taken all of the restricted that I had at work brought them home. I only take one to work with me so I have no choice.

I know that the only thing that will really help me is my own will power, but I want to set myself up for success. What I listed above are some of the steps I have taken in order to make myself more successful. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than throwing all the restricted out (too expensive for that), that I am not already doing?

Thank you for any help or encouragement in advance. Oh and I don't think I need tough love, lol I'm already doing that enough for myself....

I think the problem is that your seasickness got you off your established routine.

Continue to do what you are doing, put the bars out of sight. But take out one for the day and get back into your regular routine of when you normally ate.

I had just posted on another thread of how having a restricted a day has helped me in maintenance because I am not focusing on what other treats I could have.
So preplan your meals and put what is not part of the plan away. Out of sight out of mind.

You will be back to the routine that brought you such success in no time.

Being sick always interferes with the best made plans. Now that you are feeling better you can get right back on track.

As for the term "restricted" one a day is not off limits as you know. But once that is gone more than one a day is a no-no.

You know how to do this and it will work.

Pat

Last edited by patns; 07-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:

I know that the only thing that will really help me is my own will power, but I want to set myself up for success. What I listed above are some of the steps I have taken in order to make myself more successful. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than throwing all the restricted out (too expensive for that), that I am not already doing?
Willpower is good, yes, but I think one of the most important things to do is manage your environment so that you don't have to struggle so much with will power. If it's not there, it cannot be consumed!

Seems to me that you are already doing that. Just manage your environment, plan all the things you plan to eat each day. It helps me to just follow a list or a plan...at home.,...in the grocery store, etc.

You can do it. You have proven that to yourself. You are almost ready to start the next phase, so you should be prepared to do that...It sounds so exciting, and you should make that your next goal...Hang in there...You may have been out of ketosis, so your body needs to readjust again. Let it do that and move into your next phase!

Hooray....You can and you will!
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote