Carbs to stay in Ketosis - does this sound correct???

• My question to my IP coach:
    In our 2 cups of listed veggies, how many carbs should that equal?? I am using only the veggies on the allowed list and when I put it into the recipe builder in my fitness pal it comes out as 14.8 carbs. If I eat that twice a day its 29.6 carbs. after I add my IP foods it is about 55 carbs a day. That seems too high for me to go/stay into ketosis.

IP Coach answer:
    The amount of carbs will vary depending on your veggie combination--and it doesn't really matter. As long as you are sticking to the approved vegetables, you'll stay in ketosis. You will get about 60 grams of carbs--which will keep you in ketosis (remember the average allowance is 200-300 grams of carbs!) so it's still quite low. Also, your body has many glucose-dependant tissues (your brain for example), so you always need carbs in your diet. If My Fitness Pal shows your veggies at 30 grams--that's perfect. Eat and enjoy.
  • I think your coach's answer is a correct statement of IP philosophy. Thousands of people have lost using this plan. I say just trust the plan. Don't stress about counting carbs or degrees of ketosis. If you stick to the plan, you will lose.
  • We pay good money for this program so that they would do the thinking for us, just follow the sheet and relax while the pounds melt away! Not saying tweaks should never be taken off the table, but keep your food log updated and stay OP and you will be fine!
  • ketosis
    I'm concerned that my ketosis strips are not changing color. Maybe a trace. If I am NOT in Ketosis but following 100% will I lose muscle? I work out hard 4-5 days a week and do follow with an IP shake.
    I also drink a TON of water (always have). I'm not sure if that is diluting my results. I have not had icky breath, but I did have some days with a headache and no appetite.. maybe a little tired too.
    any thoughts?

• Quote: I'm concerned that my ketosis strips are not changing color. Maybe a trace. If I am NOT in Ketosis but following 100% will I lose muscle? I work out hard 4-5 days a week and do follow with an IP shake.
    I also drink a TON of water (always have). I'm not sure if that is diluting my results. I have not had icky breath, but I did have some days with a headache and no appetite.. maybe a little tired too.
    any thoughts?

The strips just show that you are expelling ketones. Wether the strip shows as trace or high makes no difference to the fact you are in ketosis.
  • "Ketone bodies are three water-soluble compounds that are produced as by-products when fatty acids are broken down for energy in the liver. Two of the three are used as a source of energy in the heart and brain while the third is a waste product excreted from the body". (this as exactly quoted from wikipedia).

My Understanding is that with the lack of glucose, our liver makes and excretes ketones as a by-product of "ketosis" and we then use those ketones for energy (as explained above) expelling the excess ketones in our breath, sweat, Urine etc (not in that order)...

So even if you have a light color on the ketostix, you are "in ketosis"...the color does not matter.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers
    Jake
  • All I can say is you are awesome Jake!!! I got the long reply in my e-mail just not in this thread. Thanks for the detailed Explanation ketosis ...You ROCK!!!!!
  • You are welcome and glad to help! I have been researching the "how many carbs/ketosis " question and find that generally the low carb diet/ketosis diets indicate 30grams carbs a day. This was what most those diet plans stated. Your coach said 60g carbs....I figure my carbs as I am used to it from doing atkins for so long and losing 100 punds and I am used to keeping mine under 20g a day anyway.

I even choose the lower carb least sugar veggies from the approved list...such as collards (greens)...as I still like my carbs low as I can get them. But when all is said and done, you are paying a coach and should follow their direction...but ALWAYS ask questions and don"t just accept what they say as "the truth"...I am sure they don't need a masters degree to get hired as a coach and in fact a local coach here (at the chiropractors office who is also an IP center) is now a coach. Her qualifications? None. Zippo. Nil. She worked at that chiro as a receptionist for several years and he made her a coach. That frightens me! Now I don't know if he sent her to a class or what IP requires of a coach as to training,...just saying always ask questions and research on your own behalf...as you go along I bet you know more then they do...
    Cheers
    Jake
    PS: I am a scientist dealing in Paleontology...I dig dinosaurs up and put them back together for museums and institutions...so I have done some research in my time...haha...and i always ask questions!
  • Quote: PS: I am a scientist dealing in Paleontology...I dig dinosaurs up and put them back together for museums and institutions...so I have done some research in my time...haha...and i always ask questions!
    What a fantastic job!! I want to be one. Just kidding...I really don't like dirt..but I love dinosaurs