3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Travelling to Mexico for Mission Trip! Worried about clean veggies. need advice!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261968-travelling-mexico-mission-trip-worried-about-clean-veggies-need-advice.html)

ChileheadKen 06-30-2012 11:06 AM

Travelling to Mexico for Mission Trip! Worried about clean veggies. need advice!!

Hi! I'm travelling to Puebla, Mexico next Friday for 7 days to work in a medical mission clinic. I'm worried about finding "clean" veggies that won't give me a GI bug that is so common in Mexico. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, if my veggies are limited for the week, suggestions on "regularity"?
As always, thanks for the help. My coach doesn't provide much in the way of suggestions, etc. so this forum is awesome!!! Many thanks! :flame":

bargoo 06-30-2012 11:48 AM

I wouldn't worry about the vegies as much as the water. Drink only beverages that come in a sealed can or bottle that is sealed.

nina125 06-30-2012 12:52 PM

^^^ Yes and avoid salads.. You never know what water they washed it in.

ShetlandSheepdogLove 06-30-2012 01:17 PM

Definitely be careful of water, as others have stated. Also, try to avoid buying anything from street vendors, that's really risky, as well. Just try to buy whatever food you want from clean markets/stores.

usmcvet 06-30-2012 01:43 PM

But I would still be concerned with the veggies, they should be washed and unless you are washing them yourself it's just like having a salad....

kaplods 06-30-2012 01:43 PM

When people from Mexico (or any other country) travel to the US, our water makes them sick too - so "cleanliness" isn't the problem as much as the fact that we're immune to our own local microbes and are affected by foreign ones.

I've heard (on food travel websites and shows) that taking probiotic capsules before and during the trip can help (though the dosage recommendations are higher - can't remember what they are though, or which websites I've read it on).

Cooking kills these microbes, so anything that you can eat very hot, or straight from a can or vaccuum sealed foil pouch will usually be safest.

Are you going to be "on your own" for meals, or will meals be provided as part of the trip? Have you been given guidelines? Have you talked to people who've been on previous trips to this location?

You should have been given guidelines and information (I'ld be a little leary of any mission trip that didn't prepare volunteers for the trip - with information such as what type of clothing to bring, food guidelines and meal plans...).

ChileheadKen 07-05-2012 01:01 AM

thanks for the tips! And yes, we've been pretty prepared for the trip, and will eat evening meals in reputable restaurants, but there's always a chance. I've been there before when I wasn't dieting and our evening meal restaurant that guaranteed us clean veggies wasn't so clean and half our group got sick. So I'm a little paranoid this time, especially when I am so limited in my choices. The canned and sealed pouch options seem the best route. I can pick those up when I'm there. That's also what my coach suggested. Thanks again for the advice!