Constipation Help

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm curious as to exactly, which products you've personally used that have worked for you ...

Thanks
  • novilax works like a charm
  • Novilax does work. Make sure you are eating those 2 cups of lettuce and 2 cups of vegetables each lunch and dinner. Good luck.
  • Thanks guys.
  • Well I just found this on FaceBook

• Quote: Well I just found this on FaceBook

Nice!

I use a stool softener called Cleanse More, a herbal product from the natural food store. I also add chia seeds to my puddings and shakes 2-3 times per week to help maintain.
  • My coach recommended "Smooth Move" tea, and it works great! It hAs Seneca in it, a mild stimulant ( not a laxative ). Cheap and easy to find at Target!
  • Magnesium citrate also works well. The bottle (it's in a glass bottle) says your first bm will be in 6-12 hours. Well mine was like within 30 minutes with bm's for 6-12 hours. Make sure you are close to a bathroom!
  • Thank Yoooooooou!!
    brvsfan - I have to say - the words 'thank you' aren't enough.

Listen - I've never in my life heard of magnesium citrate. Ran out and bought a bottle.

This is after about 9 days of trying almost everything I could think of and recommendations from friends and family.

Things like a colace/dulcolax, the smooth move teas, metamucil, etc. All money down the drain.

I drank the magnesium cirate and felt the weight of the world lifed off my shoulders. This stuff does the job like clock work. OMG - I'm so happy. My first good night's rest in days.

Thanks so much for this recommendation!

Quote: Magnesium citrate also works well. The bottle (it's
    in a glass bottle) says your first bm will be in 6-12 hours. Well mine was like within 30 minutes with bm's for 6-12 hours. Make sure you are close to a bathroom!
  • Quote: brvsfan - I have to say - the words 'thank you' aren't enough.
    Thanks so much for this recommendation!

I am so glad that it worked for you! I actually went to the doctor with stomach pain (I was having regular BM's at the time) on time and that is what she recommended. I now keep a bottle in my house just in case!
  • Quote: My coach recommended "Smooth Move" tea, and it works great! It hAs Seneca in it, a mild stimulant ( not a laxative ). Cheap and easy to find at Target!
    I like to take the natural route whenever possible and the Smooth Move tea works best for me.
  • Yes brvsfan - it worked amazingly well. And no wonder - after a little more reading, I came to find out it's really sort like the last resort for constipation. If magnesium citrate doesn't help you - it's almost like, nothing will.

It's what the dr gives you before a colonoscopy or surgery to completely cleanse the bowels.

Thanks again!
  • Constipation- there's gotta be a better way
    I tried searching posts in all of the IP forum, but didn't get enough answers. In my 6th week, and have had problems since Wk 1. I've been taking novi-lax daily for 5 days and still don't have good results. Took 2 at night and 1 in am, had a lot of gas. Tried the smooth move and same thing. I eat all the veggies..and drink over 64 oz water. I think the problem for me, and many of us on IP, is we aren't getting enough fiber and fruit to help maintain "normal bowel function"
    Yes, we can take ducolax or mag citrate, but using it habitually could affect the intestinal tract long term ("loose explosive BM's for one). My clinic advised against metamucil (I think it has added carbs, even though manufacturer says they aren't absorbed.) So, coaches, please, what is available to us, that is "natural" and effective??
  • One other thought...does anyone know if there is any lactose, or lactose-like substance in the IP packets? I have a mild case of lactose intolerance, and the gas and bloating I have now is similar to how I felt until I switched to lactaid (lactose free milk).
  • A big problem also is the amount of calcium in the supplements. I had to cut down on that.