Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks Wuv for opening the new thread. I had tried to keep the the thread called Alternative Discussions Here going each day but people kept opening new alternative threads and so I just gave up after a while.

Pat
Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #32  
Start IP 6/25/12

S/C/G: 242.8/230.4/150

Height: 5'7"

OK, Pure Protein bars: the only ones I can find are loaded with carbs (seems like 19-20 grams). Which ones are you guys using?

Also, finally tried the Pure Protein Vanilla, it was decent. May make it thicker on occasion. I am also really liking the Body Fortress protein powder that I got; I buy it at K-Mart of all places, for $18.99 for 27 servings. Each serving has 26gr protein, 4 carbs, 140 cals.

The GNC stuff that I have has 20gr protein, 2 carbs and 80 cals -- I won't be buying this one again as it's pricey. I bought something else from them at first, before I finished my research. It was very high in carbs and pretty low in protein. Returned it and exchanged it for this chocolate stuff instead.

So far I am happy with the products I've gotten, but then again, my husband says I'll eat "anything"...

phoenix

Edited to add: think I found the answer to my own question about Pure Protein bars: are you all subtracting the sugar alcohols + fiber? That leaves 10 carbs, which is more palatable; these are used as restricted, yes?

Last edited by PhoenixRisingAgain; 07-02-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 180/176/155

Height: 5'9"

SO I thought I was doing so good with puddings, thinking they were low in
With that, what do people buy, outside of drinks, that are low carb?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #34  
Start IP 6/25/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAScents View Post
SO I thought I was doing so good with puddings, thinking they were low in
With that, what do people buy, outside of drinks, that are low carb?
I used South Beach bars as my evening snack; they aren't fantastic, but I like them. I've been shopping and shopping for a bar to use. I am thinking of trying the Pure Protein, due to the edit in my original post.

phoenix
Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #35  

So when it says Sugars you're subtracting that or just Sugar Alcohols?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #36  
Start IP 6/25/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAScents View Post
So when it says Sugars you're subtracting that or just Sugar Alcohols?
I think they only subtract it if it says specifically "sugar alcohols". If you look at the label for one of those bars (I did it through Google), it lists "sugar" and "sugar alcohols", 2 separate things.

I've never subtracted sugar alcohols, but I do subtract fiber: that's why I chose the SB bars. They have, if I remember correctly 14 carbs, and 6 grams fiber. It just squeeks under the limit I think.

phoenix
Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #37  

Default help--newbie here!

I just learned about this IP program two days ago.....It seems to be pretty user friendly....I'm interested in the Alternatives options for financial reasons mostly.... I've done a little research and have one question..

what is the Ideal Protein envelope...is that where you are replacing the protein bars and shakes that I have read about in the threads?

I'm anxious to start this journey...just want to know what tools I need! thanks for your help.

A.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aszp View Post
I just learned about this IP program two days ago.....It seems to be pretty user friendly....I'm interested in the Alternatives options for financial reasons mostly.... I've done a little research and have one question..

what is the Ideal Protein envelope...is that where you are replacing the protein bars and shakes that I have read about in the threads?

I'm anxious to start this journey...just want to know what tools I need! thanks for your help.

A.
IP Food comes in a foil looking envelope, so yes thats what we're replacing.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 196/151/151

Height: 5'7

Are you looking at the 1.76oz.bar or the large size bar? The 1.76 bar is 16-18 grams. I use these as my restricted for the day.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 196/151/151

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuvs Mom View Post
Are you looking at the 1.76oz.bar or the large size bar? The 1.76 bar is 16-18 grams. I use these as my restricted for the day.
These are the Pure Protein Bars.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 153/129/120-125

Height: 5'1"

I am doing IP again after losing 25# and meeting my goal.....and gettinga surprise pregnancy out of the deal! Because of cost, I am using alternatives this time. I only have about 10 # to go to get down to where I was when I got PG. This is my 5th day on it this time, and I`ve lost 4 #. I`m using Proti-Diet products this time, but my question about the bars, like Pure Protein and Atkins bars, is, do you not subtract the sugar alchohols? I always thought you did, but after reading some of the previous posts, now I`m not sure. Because if you did that, they wouldn`t be restricted. I used pure protien bars at the end last time and thought they were ok. I`ve also read the belly fat cure, and he has you subtract the sugar alcohols, so I`m just confused now, loL!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw83 View Post
I am doing IP again after losing 25# and meeting my goal.....and gettinga surprise pregnancy out of the deal! Because of cost, I am using alternatives this time. I only have about 10 # to go to get down to where I was when I got PG. This is my 5th day on it this time, and I`ve lost 4 #. I`m using Proti-Diet products this time, but my question about the bars, like Pure Protein and Atkins bars, is, do you not subtract the sugar alchohols? I always thought you did, but after reading some of the previous posts, now I`m not sure. Because if you did that, they wouldn`t be restricted. I used pure protien bars at the end last time and thought they were ok. I`ve also read the belly fat cure, and he has you subtract the sugar alcohols, so I`m just confused now, loL!
I've used alternatives the whole time: 2 shakes and 1 bar daily, all Pure Protein.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #43  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw83 View Post
I take note of which sugar alcohol is being used and consider it accordingly in so far as subtracting from carbs. They have varying degrees of affect on blood sugar. For example, malitol syrup ranks on the glycemic index at 52 which is practically as high as sucrose (sugar) at 60, so I never net it out. Erythritol however has 0 impact on blood sugar, so I would subtract it from carbs.
Here's some good info, along with a chart that lists all sugar alcohols and where they rank on the GI.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wha...aralcohols.htm
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 153/129/120-125

Height: 5'1"

ok thanks alot!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuvs Mom View Post
I finally found the small ones at Walmart so am going to try one tomorrow. All they had was the large size for the longest time. I would have a hard time leaving the second half alone if I bought large ones and cut them in half.
Pat
Closed Thread