Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #1  
Started IP 09/05/12

S/C/G: 203/160/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Life after IP

Hello all

I have a question to ask before I go to bed. It's been bugging me for a bit. I am still in phase 1 for about a month, so not close enough to have really heard much about phase 4 yet. I know that my coach will explain how to maintain my weight, and did tell me that I will not be losing weight from phase 3 on.

Now, here is the thing. I was hoping to reach my goal of 160 lbs, maintain it for a while, then move on to something that will allow me to lose another 10 lbs or so but more slow and steady. I don't mind if it takes a few months. Is there any way that can be done without screwing up my pancreas/the maintenance phase/the "new" way of eating or whatever else? I'd rather not follow another diet that involves ketosis unless I need to lose at least 20 lbs.

What I'm looking for are suggestions from people who have done something else to lose a little more weight post-IP, whether it is another type of diet like WW, some calorie-counting, or if I'm just better off not doing it at all and keeping at 160. Or is it better to re-do IP even for just 10 lbs. I would appreciate any input you may have!
Kikie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

Kikie,
Why do you want to stop and start? If your goal is 150 then why not go all the way with IP in one shot? The thing is you are already on the train. It is much harder to get on the train when you are comfortable with where you are. You may be anxious to get IP done with but for losing weight there isn't anything out there that'll get you where you're going with less hassle.
I am almost embarrassed of how many diets I've been on. Some have been better than others but when it comes to quick weight loss and maintaining that weight loss well, for me IP really is the way. Period. I lost more after hitting maintenance by watching my caloric & carbohydrate values. But I would gain a bit with the free day so it was almost always a wash.
I started looking for a diet plan to lose slowly with. I can't really say whether they would work or not because with each of them I would spin off and not follow through. Don't know whether it's because I'm so indoctrinated by IP or because?? Following IP maintenance works. Unfortunately, for me trying to follow anything else does not. I'm slowly coming around to accepting this. You're not in ketosis in maintenance. And if you skip the free day and watch your calorie count you'll lose. But it is really hard to give up that treat day once you've had it. And it 'keeps the body guessing' so that you don't have to continually lower your calorie count to maintain. But if you spread it out to once every 10-14 days rather than once every seven throw in a phase 1 day each week. It all depends. IP maintenance can definitely be 'tweaked' so that you lose and it is by far the safest (no weight gain!!) route to take. I really can't recommend another program...
Sorry for being clear as mud but that's been my personal experience...
capricious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #3  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

I cant really imagine why you wouldnt just do the extra 20# now on IP and get it over with...a month or month and a half or so and you would be there.

But thats just me...I know I can get away with the weight I am at right now but I know I will be much happier at 20# less so Im doing it all right now. The diet is safe and effective...oh yes EFFECTIVE that was key to me...Why struggle with another plan that may not work. Where will your motivation come from after the big weekly losses on IP?

I know that did not in any way answer your question, but just offering my opinion...And...I didnt have an answer for you lol
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/see ticker/140

Height: 5'-4"

I was actually debating this same thing since I am 5# from goal and want to start phasing off for a vacation in a month. I plan on working out (P90x) in maintenance, but I know the less fat I have when I start that, the sooner I will see results. I just don't want to short myself or feel let down if I don't meet my goal. Its hard because I'm actually stoked to run and do hard work outs.
My advice is, wait it out- when you see that big loss week you will get stubborn. At least that's what happened to me yesterday!

Thanks for the post, I and many fellow IPers I think have the same question/struggle.
Baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #5  
Started IP 09/05/12

The reason I won't go to 150 right away is because it is harder to maintain than 160 so I'd prefer getting "used" to 160 first and then 150 would become easier to maintain. I read on the forum that the lower you go in one shot, the harder it is to maintain as our bodies have a certain weight they tend to stay at. I'd like to lower that to 160 before trying to go lower. I'm talking stabilising for half a year or so.

Secondly, I chose a baaad time to start with summer and all its goodies, it's not that good a reason but I don't want to miss out on all those outdoor bbqs and picnics and iced tea on the front porch. We only have 2-3 months of summer and I'd feel deprived to lose out on the entire thing. I promised myself I'd enjoy the last 2 weeks of august when I hit maintenance.

I'll be happy with 160 but I asked the question in case there was some way post-ip to keep losing a little. That would certainly make me even happier.

Thanks for your opinions I really appreciate it!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #6  
Started IP 2/23/2012

S/C/G: 192.2/142.4/140

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like you are wanting an excuse to stop early. You will just be cheating on yourself. Finish your weight loss with IP!!! The last 10 pounds seem to be hanging on for me, so I am getting used to it coming off slowly right now. Don't cheat yourself out of your goal.
mooselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

A lot of people probably will not agree with me on this but that's ok.

I lost a good amt on IP and hit my goal of 120 and phased out. Then 2 days after entering maintenance I went on vacation and gained about 7-8ish pounds. After going back on IP and trying to lose the vacation weight I decided I was done with ketosis and the way it affected me. I couldn't stay on program for more than a few days and kept on sabatoging myself. This was just my experience. Many have done it. Restrictions dont work well for me. I havent gone out and eaten all kinds of bad things because I can now but I no longer have the urge to because I can if I want. It's weird, i know. To me, IP gave me the structure and willpower. Now i'm ready to fly on my own.

I decided to try out calorie counting with an emphasis on whole foods. No "100 calorie packs" and barely any processed foods. I'm losing consistently and loving it. I exercise daily and find it to be helping tighten up my weak spots. Again, this is just my experience.

IP does work. But it's not for everyone. Don't be afraid to go off and try something else. Many people have success with all different types of diets/weight loss plans. If you decide you dont like whatever you decided to try then you can always go back on IP.

That's just my $.02

Also, a similar question was asked on the calorie counting boards here. A couple more opinions posted there.

Last edited by CassiR; 06-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #8  
Started IP 09/05/12

mooselover: my goal is 160 from the beginning. Im not looking for any excuse, i'm just not comfortable with the thought of not ever being able to lose a little more weight if i decide to some day, or if i gain like 7 lbs during a trip to italy i need to know i wont be stuck with it forever, or having to redo ip for 7 lbs you know.... it was simply for information. I think I clearly explained what my goal was and why I made it that.

P.s. cassir that's what I was looking for, thank you. Good to know i won't have to necessarily redo ip or another diet unless i decide that's what i want. I'm loving ip results so far, i'm just not sure i'd deal with ketosis again unless i had a reasinable amount (20+) to lose.

Last edited by Kikie; 06-22-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #9  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Well, this is kind of not an apples-to-apples comparison .... but I am planning to do IP to goal and maintain for a few months....THEN plan on baby #2. <Fingers crossed> During pregnancy I do plan on moving toward a more calorie counting/whole foods way of eating, taking pregnancy considerations into account of course. I don't want to blow up like I did with baby #1, as that is why I have so much to lose on IP now! But also, you don't really "diet" when you are pregnant, but will still be watching what I eat and monitoring it with my OB.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikie View Post
Is there any way that can be done without screwing up my pancreas/the maintenance phase/the "new" way of eating or whatever else?
Of course there are ways! IP is a great program, but it is not the be all, end all to losing. What you learn while on IP and during your transition Phases will become the foundation to life after IP. That said, some suggestions for post-IP would be healthy, whole foods prepared well and eaten in moderation. Fresh veggies on hand ALWAYS ALWAYS. And IMO, exercise will be the biggest factor in dropping those last few lbs and maintaining a strong, lean body.
2Poles1Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #11  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Your choice. But I would stay the course. I've never lost weight this fast and easily.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 512/471/300

Height: 5'11"

I am getting close to my goal but probably going to stay on longer
crash302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 192/see ticker/140

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash302 View Post
Wow way to go on your loss! And to keep going... hats off to you
Baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #14  
Started IP 6-5-12

S/C/G: 280/257/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash302 View Post
Hey, kudos to you on your 170# weight loss in a year!
softkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #15  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by softkitty View Post
Hey, kudos to you on your 170# weight loss in a year!
Yeah that is freaking awesome. I want to be there in ten more months saying I've lost 170#'s, that will still be 80#'s from my goal but sooooo much smaller and lighter. Actual I want to say I've lost at least 171# in a year so I am finally below 300#'s! Its been a decade since I've been under three bills!

Last edited by usmcvet; 06-23-2012 at 01:53 PM.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote