Colored Peppers & Ham Saute With Sweet Coconut "Rice"

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: These look seriously YUM rainbow!!!! What else ya cookin up there? Keep the creations coming girl!!
    ok...so OMG....this was sooooooooooooooooo good!!
    COLORED PEPPERS & HAM SAUTE WITH SWEET COCONUT "RICE"
    sometimes the best dishes come from "scrapping the barrel" when there's nothing left at the end of the week to cook!! haha

i know lots of IPeeps have made the cauliflower rice....however, instead of grating it...which is what i was going to do, as i was getting my box grater out of the drawer, i saw my old cheese grater....you know the kind....like they have at olive garden when they come around asking if you want cheese....with everything!! but i digress....anyway, i thought hmmmm....so i popped in a few small pieces of cauliflower and churned away...and into the bowl dropped the most perfect tiny pieces of cauliflower...very tiny almost grits size....(hmmmm cauliflower grits....another day).....it was like tiny rice!!

maybe someone else already tried this...but i never knew and love how easy it was!!

so i heated the pan...and used 1/2 tsp coconut oil....and added all the cauliflower and sauteed until lightly browned in a very dry pan...didn't add any other thing except salt and pepper...and OMWORD.....IT TASTED LIKE COCONUT RICE or toasted coconut vermicelli!!!!!

i got so excited i forgot to take pics of the ham and peppers sauteing in the other pan!! hahaha but i sauteed some red and orange mini bell peppers sliced and some green onions in a pan with 4 oz. diced ham...once lightly browned i de-glazed the pan with about 1/4 cup 0/0/0 chicken broth. in the end, i plated it on each side, but ate it mixed!! i topped it with some fresh parsley and thyme from my herb garden!! whooop whoooop!!! YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it when i make something soooo good for me that tastes sooooooo delicious!!!

so i made it again, and took some photos of the ham and peppers and green onions in the pan!! it was just as good as before!! this is a keeper recipe!!!!

ok new photos!!! this is sooooo good!!!

I LOVE that IP makes me THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX...and cook in ways i never imagined doing!!!

...and THATS....WHAT WAS FOR DINNER!!!
  • you are very creative... I guess you are replacing FinnSteven
  • Quote: ok...so OMG....this was sooooooooooooooooo good!!

sometimes the best dishes come from "scrapping the barrel" when there's nothing left at the end of the week to cook!! haha

I LOVE that IP makes me THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX...and cook in ways i never imagined doing!!!

Whoa! Rainbowsmiles! This looks awesome! Are we really on a diet?

Can't wait to try this! Thanks for the recipe and the beautiful pictures of something we can eat! Red background is lovely, too.
  • Quote: ok...so OMG....this was sooooooooooooooooo good!!
    COLORED PEPPERS & HAM SAUTE WITH SWEET COCONUT "RICE"

That looks FANTASTIC!!! I will now be getting one of those "Graters"
  • Thanks for the idea! I've only done the cauliflower rice a couple of times bc grating it was such a chore, and I don't have a food processor. But I DO have a cheese grater.... Thanks!
  • Is coconut oil OP phase 1?
  • Looks pretty darn good. I do mine in the food processor, same blade and wow its fast. I do up a whole head at a time and just keep in the fridge so its not such a pain each time.

As a group we should post more non recipe foods. Thx for the ideas
  • I'm not on this diet but Dang that looks good!!!
  • Quote: Is coconut oil OP phase 1?
    i don't think it is technically, but sometimes i substitute 1 tsp coconut oil for 1 tsp olive oil....you could just use olive oil instead....only it wouldn't have that delicious coconut taste!! you could probably use olive oil and coconut flavoring???

Quote: Looks pretty darn good. I do mine in the food processor, same blade and wow its fast. I do up a whole head at a time and just keep in the fridge so its not such a pain each time.

As a group we should post more non recipe foods. Thx for the ideas
    yeah.....envious here...i unfortunately do not have a food processor. how does it keep pre-grated in the fridge???
  • Quote: you are very creative... I guess you are replacing FinnSteven
    what is finnsteven?
  • Quote: you are very creative... I guess you are replacing FinnSteven
    Quote: what is finnsteven?
    nevermind!! i found out WHO finnsteven is haha wow he has a ton of great recipes!!!!!!!!!
  • Question - I've never made the cauli rice before so pardon my stoopid question.

Do you boil the cauliflower first? Or is the only cooking it gets in the pan after you've grated it?

Thanks!
  • Quote: Question - I've never made the cauli rice before so pardon my stoopid question.

Do you boil the cauliflower first? Or is the only cooking it gets in the pan after you've grated it?

Thanks!
    for this recipe, the cauliflower is raw, grated and sauteed in the pan
  • Quote: for this recipe, the cauliflower is raw, grated and sauteed in the pan
    Thanks, that was my question too! It looks so good! I wonder if I could grate then pop it in the microwave with a bit of chicken broth or garlic?
    I need to get one of those tools today!
  • I tried grating before(super messy) or smashing after boiling and I prefer after.. When I make "rice" I just mash it less than when I make them as potatoes. So if you do not like it one way try it the other .

Fresh also is WAY better than frozen.. my frozen ones came out yucky.