Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/175/170

Height: 5 10

Default Determining Ideal Weight

Good morning all! Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there. I am seeking feedback from folks on how they picked their goal weight. I am 5"10 and about 170lbs now. My goal weight starting ip was 175. I feel amazing. Sometimes though I feel sort of "skinny" in my upper body. I have "excess skin" mostly on my abdomen. I know diet won't change that but makes me feel like I still need to lose more. Wondering from anyone who is around my height how they feel about their goal weight, or if you are getting close, how that feels. I hod no regard for the BMI table - just want to go on how I feel.
Thanks
Zartas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

My doctor poo pooed the BMI, told me to go where I'm comfortable. She agreed with 165. My mom had difficulty with 160 so I picked 165. Today is 1 month in maintenance and so far so good...

I say go by how you feel in your body and where you are comfortable. Even if I had surgery for the lose skin on the tummy I'd want to be at this weight, I like how I look.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #3  

Smile

Thanks for the feedback. You are doing great. Do you mind if I ask your height? I like your icon! I am a Riders fan by marriage... lol.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I'm 5'5.75 (LOL) I'm a size 8-10 depends on the store. I really like reitmans, size 7 there LOL

I will forever be overweight according to BMI...but a awesomely buffed man at 5'6 with 12-15% body fat is considered obese...

I have always ALWAYS wanted to be 'normal' or 'average', at a size 8-10 and a few lbs below my goal...I feel 'normal' or 'average' Be comfortable in your own skin, you have to live there I say

Riders fans come in all shapes and sizes...

NOTE: also a friend of mine who's recently lost the same amount of weight was told she has 10-15 lbs of skin...so factor that in and I'm 150

Last edited by Ishbel; 06-17-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/225(First Goal)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zartas View Post
Good morning all! Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there. I am seeking feedback from folks on how they picked their goal weight. I am 5"10 and about 170lbs now. My goal weight starting ip was 175. I feel amazing. Sometimes though I feel sort of "skinny" in my upper body. I have "excess skin" mostly on my abdomen. I know diet won't change that but makes me feel like I still need to lose more. Wondering from anyone who is around my height how they feel about their goal weight, or if you are getting close, how that feels. I hod no regard for the BMI table - just want to go on how I feel.
Thanks
I am 5'9" and set my most recent goal at 165. I know at my lowest ever (125 lbs. years ago) I was TOO thin. I will see how it goes, I may adjust up or down depending how I look and feel when I get closer to my goal. I started at 180 for my goal originally.
Diana B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #6  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Thanks
I am having a hard time deciding on a final goal weight for myself as well!

I am currently just over 150 lbs and I feel wonderful. My body seems to love this weight as it is really hard for me to get under it. I am 5'4 and mostly in size 8's but some 10's depending on brand. I am a solid, muscular build and work out a lot so I feel really healthy.

I keep thinking that 140 lbs would be fantastic though!

Best wishes in your decision and I agree with Ishbel.... it is where ever YOU feel comfortable and great at!
Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 243/139/140

Height: 5'5"

I've been considering this recently as I get closer to that goal. That is--what should that goal be? I feel a lot better than I did 70 pounds ago, but I still feel that I have quite a ways to go. The pounds are coming off more slowly now so it may take some time. Right now I weigh about what I did when I joined Weight Watchers many years ago. At that time my goal was 135. I achieved it, but never maintained it for very long. I was in my early 20s at the time. Now at age 65 I believe that goal is unrealistic. I am thinking that I might be able to hit 150 although my coach has suggested a goal range of between 150 and 160, giving myself a little room to play around with. I keep thinking that I will know the right weight when I get there.
glomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

When I first hit goal I was happy with how I looked in clothes not so happy with the unclothed version. Things were fairly 'smushy' in the abdomen/ flanks but the arms and chest were very slim. I've found over the months since then with regular exercise and time being smaller my body has 'snapped back' somewhat and I am much happier now than when I originally hit goal although I am the same weight... I'd give it time & exercise and re- evaluate. Your weight is very reasonable for your height and should be easier to maintain. The smaller you go the less your caloric intake. The really sad part of this is because you're maintaining you need even less calories than someone who is your height & weight 'normally'... If you're fairly comfortable where you are stay the course a bit and see how it goes... Just my thoughts...
capricious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #9  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

I'm 5' 10" around the lower 160's fluctuates between 162-164 I've been eating in maintenance and work out 3-5 X a week...
Last summer I went down to 148 or so but clearly couldn't maintain it was bingeing n purging so yeah..
I'm in treatment and have learnt to ease off the stricter pressure n be healthy n takes things as they come without either going over or under board
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #10  

Thanks so much. I appreciate all the feed back. I agree the BMI range is so off for some. I believe the low end for my height is 130. Can't imagine being 40lbs less Than i am now. I also agree that skin,etc. will "snap back" as you say over the months to come. Lol. Fingers crossed. I think some of my issues are still seeing myself as a 260lb person. I am sure some of you can relate to that. Our kids really play tricks on us....
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #11  

Quote:
Thanks so much. I appreciate all the feed back. I agree the BMI range is so off for some. I believe the low end for my height is 130. Can't imagine being 40lbs less Than i am now. I also agree that skin,etc. will "snap back" as you say over the months to come. Lol. Fingers crossed. I think some of my issues are still seeing myself as a 260lb person. I am sure some of you can relate to that. Our kids really play tricks on us....
Ooops! I mean our minds play tricks on us. That may have been subliminal.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

Setting the goal is such an interesting struggle.
I'm pretty sure someone on this site posted these links in another thread.
This one lists how your weight stacks up from different resources, including what people at that weight think they should weigh.
http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

This one is includes the age adjustment and lets you know how many people at your height, weight and age are thinner than you. Doesn't mean that everyone in the survey was at a healthy weight, but interesting nonetheless.
http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

I'm struggling with where exactly to set goal right now, knowing that I will want to be about 5 lbs below it when I phase off. Not sure if I set it by BMI, % body fat, clothing size, or whatever. I am certainly "in the zone" now.

I have weighed as low as 118 as an adult, but obviously never was able to maintain it. Thyroid doctor was good with 140 and Body Fat at 29%. GP is fine with 130 (if I would just maintain it). First clinic suggested 130 as I "would look too thin below that". I picked 120 because of that "rule of thumb" 100 plus 5 lbs for each inch of 5', plus/minus 5 lbs.

I think I'm obsessing on wanting the scale weight in the 120s, and can't quite figure out the "right" body fat percentage and which number I might hit first. I want 130 to be my "panic" weight (aka go back on Phase 1), with 125 my "better adjust what you are eating starting today" weight. I hope I can settle in and keep things steady between 120 and 125. I have to get there first, of course, and interesting body things are happening in balancing hunger and weight training (which I am doing with my 14 year old daughter starting now, June, otherwise I would have waited until a later Phase) with crazy daily scale bounces. I have been losing at under 2 lbs a week for quite a while, so I am pretty resigned to that, and Phase 1 is pretty easy at this point, for the most part. I am starting to need to eat a little more frequently.

I'm fitting into "old school/back of my closet" 6s and "lycra/today's shopping" 4s and 6s, with the form fitting stuff showing too much thigh pooge. Deciding whether to be more realistic or see what the next few weeks bring.

So, I will be stopping soon as I feel really good now. Ironically, most of my friends are thin and, at 53, I think I want to be able to trade clothes with them or something<insert dramatic eye roll and teenage daughter sound here>. Plus, be able to share some "age appropriate" items with my daughter.

One crazy thing I found helpful was to look at "mommy makeover" plastic surgery pictures on line (to see what real people looked like before and after) and also this site was useful (another one someone else posted at 3fc), showing what real women look like at various weights, heights and sizes, although most of the ladies brave enough to post are much younger:
http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html

It's a really tough and very personal decision.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #13  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post

One crazy thing I found helpful was to look at "mommy makeover" plastic surgery pictures on line (to see what real people looked like before and after) and also this site was useful (another one someone else posted at 3fc), showing what real women look like at various weights, heights and sizes, although most of the ladies brave enough to post are much younger:

http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html
YES! the above site ^^ is awesome and since I am getting a Mommy Makeover, I also look at photos on http://www.realself.com
Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #14  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I am setting mine based on body fat percentage. My goal weight was based on my initial lean mass and 20% body fat. I have lost some lean mass and will probably reset my final at ~20% again, but with the plan to allow 5lb during phase off. For now that is tracking @~135-140lb.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/141.6/145

Height: 5' 9"

I just wanted to say that this post came on the perfect day for me and there is some REALLY helpful info on it. I think this should be in the sticky notes!!
Stefany1769 is offline   Reply With Quote