Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #1  
Agir pour ne pas subir...

Height: 5' 5"

Default Sugar - What's the deal?

I thought I understood IP's methodology, and now only a month in, I'm really questioning the Nutritional Values in IP food due to their sugar content. The idea is to give our pancreas a break so to slow our insulin production. Not withstanding the sugars found in green vegetables (like broccoli for instance which has 2grams of sugar per 90g) We're only allowed 0/0/0 foods, yet there's sugar in their own product!

I've been sleuthing for an up-to-date nutritional sheet for all IP products seeing as the one floating around this forum is incorrect (most likely out dated) which is clear simply by doing a cross analysis of the information on the sheet and what's on the side of our IP boxes.

If anyone has a recent and correct version of this document could you please post it?

As an example, I'm looking at the nutritional values for the IP vanilla pudding (ready made) indicating it has 4 grams of sugar!!!

W H A T ?!

I'm French, and giving up WINE which has 1.1 grams of sugar - why on earth am I eating freakin' pudding with 4 grams of sugar!?

If anyone can help me understand this, I'd really appreciate it :]
Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #2  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Is there actual sugar in IP products? I often got my packets individually so I did not look. That would be strange to me. I thought they were all sweetened with Splenda?

Now I will say that restricted products seemed to increase cravings.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/147/130

Height: 5'0

you think IP is a healthy diet? hahaha
IP is a means to an end, you lose weight and lose weight quickly.
There is nothing healthy about substituting real food for pre-packaged ones, especially ones with little fibre. Most on this diet can't use the washroom for sometimes a week at a time, that is NOT healthy and never will be. Because of this diet I have had stomach pains, head pains, constipation resulting in hemroids (which is far more painful than being overweight) as well as not having the energy to do much in my daily life without feeling winded.

drink your red wine, it's good for you
Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #4  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

You cant have alcohol due to the extra work the liver needs to do to process the alcohol. During the program we need the liver to process the fat we are consuming, and burning off. Alcohol will take priority over the fat burning so it will stop processing the fat in order to deal with the alcohol.

The IP foods dont have 'ADDED' sugar. Almost all food and food products contain or will 'PRODUCE' sugars in the body. If you read the nutritional lables on the IP foods, they will list sugars, but not in the ingredients. None that I have seen have sugar listed as in ingredient, some of the restricteds have sucralose as an ingredient.

So, dont confuse sugars on the nuritional label as an ingredient, it doesnt work that way. And no, wine cannot take the place of these sugars (wish it could).

I am new to the program too, but I have read, and read, and researched this program to death. Its healthy (short term) and it works. I am sticking to the program 100% no cheats and no deviations, and so far am consistently losing both pounds and inches. And...feel great!

Last edited by Longhorn Energy; 05-25-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinique125 View Post
you think IP is a healthy diet? hahaha
IP is a means to an end, you lose weight and lose weight quickly.
There is nothing healthy about substituting real food for pre-packaged ones, especially ones with little fibre. Most on this diet can't use the washroom for sometimes a week at a time, that is NOT healthy and never will be. Because of this diet I have had stomach pains, head pains, constipation resulting in hemroids (which is far more painful than being overweight) as well as not having the energy to do much in my daily life without feeling winded.

drink your red wine, it's good for you
I have followed your posts on and off and know you've bounced off and on the program (once transitioning to Atkins) and never commented. This post offended me.

If you don't like the program why bother being on these threads. I don't find your posts supportive and feel that we could do without the negativity and judgements due to our diet choices.

Eig8t The packets are built with the entire program in mind, if you follow it you are in ketosis. As Longhorn has already posted (ditto on the rest of the post), alcohol is another kettle of fish. Talk to your coach, personally I went to my doc and asked for her input while in this diet including a blood chit to get my blood work done every three months. Upon reviewing the literature she said "sounds like you're eating healthy" and she's thrilled with my results. Just as an FYI my coach is not a doc nor do I get my packets from a doctors office, in Cdn I think you can find some chriopractors that sell IP but never heard of MDs selling it here. Although I could be wrong, I don't think that's normal here...in the states, MD sell it and coach it.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #6  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
I have followed your posts on and off and know you've bounced off and on the program (once transitioning to Atkins) and never commented. This post offended me.

If you don't like the program why bother being on these threads. I don't find your posts supportive and feel that we could do without the negativity and judgements due to our diet choices.

Eig8t The packets are built with the entire program in mind, if you follow it you are in ketosis. As Longhorn has already posted (ditto on the rest of the post), alcohol is another kettle of fish. Talk to your coach, personally I went to my doc and asked for her input while in this diet including a blood chit to get my blood work done every three months. Upon reviewing the literature she said "sounds like you're eating healthy" and she's thrilled with my results. Just as an FYI my coach is not a doc nor do I get my packets from a doctors office, in Cdn I think you can find some chriopractors that sell IP but never heard of MDs selling it here. Although I could be wrong, I don't think that's normal here...in the states, MD sell it and coach it.
Ishbel, I wanted to say the same to Trinique, but I opted not to! So thank you for saying it!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Ishbel;4346883]I have followed your posts on and off and know you've bounced off and on the program (once transitioning to Atkins) and never commented. This post offended me.

My thoughts exactly, Ishbel. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #9  
Agir pour ne pas subir...

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies!
I have asked my coach about the sugar content (listed on the labels) but she couldn't speak to it. Her blanket answer is simply to stick to the protocol and not worry about it.

That said, it certainly appeases me to know that sugar isn't listed in IP ingredients - an important piece of the puzzle I've missed since becoming obsessed with reading nutritional labels these past 4 weeks lol I won't pretend to understand the body's way of metabolizing/converting sugars though.. why does broccoli have SUGAR?! Life is not fair. ahaha

Regarding wine...it's just one of those concessions I truly miss, but aware of the ramifications of cheats on the program and not willing to compromise my efforts so far. I've lost 15lbs in a month and really pleased - albeit being a "slow loser" compared to some lol

I'm not sure how my post translated into whether IP was a healthy program or not, but I just wanted to say that everyone is entitled to their opinions, that's what makes forum boards flavourful afterall

Seeing as this seems to have brought forth such good resources to tap into (good to see all these Canadians here btw!) I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what the program's nutritional components are overall? By that I mean, how many carbs are we allowed daily? Fat grams.. calories? The only conclusive answer I could find was from Dr. Tran's online book regarding the amount of protein we should be processing daily KG X 1.2 = daily grams of protein).
Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ei8ht View Post
I have asked my coach about the sugar content (listed on the labels) but she couldn't speak to it. Her blanket answer is simply to stick to the protocol and not worry about it.

That said, it certainly appeases me to know that sugar isn't listed in IP ingredients - an important piece of the puzzle I've missed since becoming obsessed with reading nutritional labels these past 4 weeks lol I won't pretend to understand the body's way of metabolizing/converting sugars though.. why does broccoli have SUGAR?! Life is not fair. ahaha

Regarding wine...it's just one of those concessions I truly miss, but aware of the ramifications of cheats on the program and not willing to compromise my efforts so far. I've lost 15lbs in a month and really pleased - albeit being a "slow loser" compared to some lol

I'm not sure how my post translated into whether IP was a healthy program or not, but I just wanted to say that everyone is entitled to their opinions, that's what makes forum boards flavourful afterall

Seeing as this seems to have brought forth such good resources to tap into (good to see all these Canadians here btw!) I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what the program's nutritional components are overall? By that I mean, how many carbs are we allowed daily? Fat grams.. calories? The only conclusive answer I could find was from Dr. Tran's online book regarding the amount of protein we should be processing daily KG X 1.2 = daily grams of protein).

Broccoli doesnt have any added sugar, your body will make sugar out of the carbs in it (refer to Longhorns post). I never ever watched my carb intake on the program, I think it's 30 grams of carbs, check your phase 1 sheet for the amount of oil you're allowed, some people need more, always consult your coach. She may have just said follow the program because she may think your over analyzing? Sometimes when you over analyze and over stress you can hold onto the weight. BTW, 15lbs a month is NOT slow, when's the last time you lost that in a month? Your doing fab at that rate, your body will release when it's ready.

As for everyone having an opinion, completely agree, but opinions need to be conveyed in a respectful manner. If you can't be respectful of others when you offer your opinion then you should reword your opinion, I'm not saying you need to change your opinion. However, you certainly should only be talking for yourself, not for 'most people'.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #11  

Quote:

with all due respect, this is a public forum and I'm entitled to voice my opinion on any diet on this forum (especially a diet I've tried), just as you're entitled to voice yours.

Last edited by Trinique125; 05-25-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ei8ht View Post

I agree
Old 05-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #13  

Quote:
Broccoli doesnt have any added sugar, your body will make sugar out of the carbs in it (refer to Longhorns post). I never ever watched my carb intake on the program, I think it's 30 grams of carbs, check your phase 1 sheet for the amount of oil you're allowed, some people need more, always consult your coach. She may have just said follow the program because she may think your over analyzing? Sometimes when you over analyze and over stress you can hold onto the weight. BTW, 15lbs a month is NOT slow, when's the last time you lost that in a month? Your doing fab at that rate, your body will release when it's ready.

As for everyone having an opinion, completely agree, but opinions need to be conveyed in a respectful manner. If you can't be respectful of others when you offer your opinion then you should reword your opinion, I'm not saying you need to change your opinion. However, you certainly should only be talking for yourself, not for 'most people'.

GOOD LUCK!!
I used the term most people because 9 out of 10 people, according to their own posts, speak of constipation and light headedness on this diet, stomach issues etc etc. Almost every other day there is new thread opened in that regard so we all know of many on here, perhaps even yourself, that has experienced this.

and how did I disrespect you or anyone else by stating my opinion on a diet I've tried? if you feel disrespected because I do not agree with everything everyone writes then perhaps you shouldn't be on a public forum where opinions/viewpoints are expressed.

Last edited by Trinique125; 05-25-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #14  

coming back to the point of this thread, is Sugar listed as an ingredient in IP products? and I wonder why your coach didn't give you a direct answer?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #15  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

We come to the board for support of our program not to hear about the program that has worked for so many including myself bashed for no reason. If you are having issues with the program then sure voice your opinion but don't say it doesn't work BECAUSE IT DOES. Everyone who has posted POSITIVE things has had continued success with the program. Don't hate the people who are successful because it didn't work for you or you had too many complications on it. All of our bodies are different, sure everyone says they have the Big C but we work with it and get over it and move on. Some of us have had no issues at all, So with that being said I and many other will continue to follow the program YOU say doesn't work BUT WE are LIVING PROOF IT DOES!
Closed Thread