Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #331  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
Ishbel- I would exercise on my free day because it helped burn some of the calories I was inhaling and kept me in the right mindset. Would also wear the tightest pair of pants I own also to help out as a mental reminder.
Your comments/advice are always so helpful. I need to remember to wear my tightest clothes when I start to feel I might be slacking off, or go bathing suit shopping. Those mirrors really help me stay on the straight and narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
Exercise definitely does make you hungrier. An extra packet would not be a bad thing if you are starving.
I find the day after free eating I am always hungry.
Do you only feel hungry for 1 day? I hope that is my experience when I get to that point. For my recent vacation phase off and now return to phase 1, it seems like it has taken a week to 10 days to finally stop feeling so hungry. It didn't take that long when I first went on phase 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
I'm supposed to be hosting a dinner party this weekend with a couple that I love sharing a glass of wine with. Last time they had us over I refused the wine b/c I was just starting my reboot but swore upside and down I'd have a glass next time I saw them. Wondering if I can do an abbreviated phase out (4 days Phase 2/ 4 days Phase 3) and have that glass of wine?
Or refuse the wine again and go with a longer phase out?? Coach says absolutely no shorter than the 4/4 but preferably at least a week of each... Any thoughts?
Somewhere there is a posting (or maybe in Dr. Tran's book?) re having alcohol and not have it affect your weight loss. I think if you don't eat for a couple of hours after, and have no food with your alcohol, your body doesn't have any food to put into fat stores, just processes the alcohol, completes that and then you can go back to eating after 2 hours... I am NOT sure about that. Need to be on the road for most of today, so can't research today, but would if I had the time. It would be good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBean View Post
Hello everyone! I still need to catch up on the last few weeks of posts! Looks like a lot has been going on

My husband and I moved into our first house last Monday! It has been very exciting and VERY difficult to stick to healthy eating.... The last few weeks we have done our best, but definitely had a few slip ups. Not having any groceries or any cooking stuff unpacked made for poor dinner choices... pizza, hamburgers and french fries, lots and lots of carbs YUCK!

BUT finally we are getting squared away and I am getting back on track. I was eating mostly phase1 before the move and started back on it today. I am scared to get on the scale... I am sure I gained at least 4-6 lbs. Ugh! I know I should get on it, but I just can't yet. I don't want to get discouraged and give up.... so the plan is to eat great for a few days and then see whats what.

Time to catch up on this thread what has been going on in all of your worlds!!!
Congrats on the new house!! So exciting!

I fell off IP for months last year when my husband and I moved into our new home. It's great you are back on board!

Last edited by Chloe222; 06-21-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #332  
SBDubs

S/C/G: 198.4/179.6/165

Height: 5'11''

I am having a hard time understanding maintenance. I have read through all the sheets here and from my coach, but Im still not sure...

How many meals do you all have a day? Can someone just share what a typical day looks like for them so I can compare? I really appreciate it!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #333  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

My typical day does not look like ip maintenance. I just could never add back any real amount of carbs without gaining.

Monday-Thursday I eat phase 1 or 2. Occasionally I add in some nuts or cheese, mainly to ensure I am getting enough fat.

Friday to Sunday I eat low carb. I still usually have a ip packet for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are meat and veggies. Wine is usually involved lol.

Snacks include hb eggs, bars, beef jerky (low sugar), cheese and nuts.

The occasional carb sneaks in, usually as sauce if we are eating out, or chips, which are my weakness.

I have maintained like this for a year.

Try to ip maintenance and see if it works for you. It is definitely more lenient than my diet....just continue to keep track of what you eat and weigh so you can see what impacts you personally.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

staceyjblack I truely believe that maintenance is different for everyone, we can't have strict rules as they would never apply to everyone in the same way. When I went to my workshop I asked a few phase 4 questions and the response was kinda the same for each question "did you gain?" "yes? then don't do it again" "no?, then your ok". I don't think there are a lot of rules because EVERYONE is different, so if they handed us rules we'd all start gaining/losing/staying the same and blame the diet (especially if we're gaining).

You are suppose to follow the simple rules of keeping carbs and oils seperate. So having 2.5-3 hours as a guideline between a carb or oil snack is a guideline as everyone digests different. (This is not an IP guideline but more of a personal guideline until I figure out my body).

I track what I'm doing like a fanatic...because I don't know what 1200-1800 calories feels like, just like I measured my veggies in Phase 1 and eventually stopped. I will eventually become more calm in my approach and chill out about it. But I have to take the time to get used to my new body and I've given myself permission to do that.

I can't have pasta, others can...I can have bread (I chose sprouted bread cause I feel the difference), a small white potato last week doesn't seem to have affected me. I don't chose nuts unless it's my free day because I can't stop lol.

So most times I'm having carbs for breakfast and carbs for supper, but sometimes it's just a Kashi bar for dessert with a lean meat and a massive heap of veggies (still having a carb and getting a dessert to boot!). Or chili and a massive heap of veggies (carbs in the beans).

Yesterday I REALLY craved some burgers that are higher in fat...too high to be anything but my lunch meat...so I had them for supper and actively made a choice not to have carbs until my evening snack. Due to my schedule I finished eating by 530 and at 830 I had fruit and a kashi bar.

Not everyone has a snack at night, some people don't eat after supper. I make room in my diet to have a snack at night...I don't like to NOT snack in the evening so I've accepted that fact about my life. I do NOT sleep well hungry. IP gave me that freedom by providing me a snack at 800-830 (which is when I'd have my restricted or a shake)....so now I have fruit and some greek yogurt.

I don't know if I'm truely answering your question and given the fact that it's only been a month I don't know how much 'weight' my answer is (pun intended )...but these are my thoughts.

Last edited by Ishbel; 06-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #335  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

All you ladies truly amaze me... I look forward to the day of "hanging" out with ya!! Ill get there, but this last 25 will be the death of me...
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #336  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Hello IP family.
I just wanted to check in and let you know I'm still here, and still actively trying to make good choices to maintain, in spite of all of the end-of-the-year parties and activities. Today was the last day of school, so tomorrow morning I plan to hit the market to restock my nearly naked refrigerator to make wise food choices. I am a little worried about avoiding snacking with a much less structured schedule, but I have to figure this out sometime. The lifetime of struggling with my weight simply has to end, and it's up to me to be in control.
So grateful for my glass of red wine tonight!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #337  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

P4 is a little tricky because P1-P3 experiences were largely similar and we could pretty easily tell each other what worked and what doesn't work.

The key is to finding your weakness foods quickly. I believe most keep it pretty low carb. You will know immediately if a food does not work for you because it just won't feel good and you might have a reaction similar to P3 breakfast items. Or, as others have stated the scale does not look too good the next day.

I think one of the bigger problems is the cravings problem as some of us will indulge in a food, completely unable to stop. Sugar appears to be my weakness though much less so in fruits. Still, I hang around the low glycemic fruits, perhaps moreso for comfort. I tried a banana the other day, it was not as delicious as I remember them to be so I let it go. I know some of this sounds crazy but you don't want to have a fear of foods. Food is good. Food is enjoyable so you want to cultivate a healthy relationship with food. This requires some effort since we are not returning to foods we used to eat. IP Phases 1-3 were also very strict. Now, we are sorta let loose.

I chose to stay on P3, but not a strict P3. My challenge then became snack time. I have since loosened the strings and I am experimenting with other items. I got stuck on IP snacks when there are so many other choices out there. I think I stayed with IP because it was all taken care of for me and I did not have to do any thinking or calculating.

I have not yet added cheese and a lot of other items. I seem to do okay with the following:
almond butter
hummous with baby carrots
veggie burger (they have beans, rice and all kinds of things in them)
sometimes non-wheat breads.
and others I cannot remember now.

I keep my yogurt (normal fat, not non-fat) in the morning with berries but I have tried those items later in the day and it just does not work for me.

So, it's back and forth. I am set on meals because I keep them P3ish. I am working on snacks and have greatly reduced my dependence on IP products. But, like Ishbel I am only a month into this.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #338  
Started IP 12/30/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
I was in a position a few years ago where I needed a fast work out that I could use consistently and for me, do at home to make the most efficient use of time. I bought 2 workout videos which were amazing: Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred which is based on a 20 minute workout and combines cardio and weights. Second was the Wedding Workout which takes around 40-45 minutes but you can customize it - again cardio and weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Thanks for that info. I had heard quite a few people mention the shred and from the name it sounded brutal. I am not a Jillian fan I thought she was a bully on BL. But hey, for 20 minutes I can put up with her and I have to admit she is an excellent trainer. I didn't realize that workout is so quick I will definately look into it. I need something for when school starts again in September, I will be walking a huge amount from the end of June when we get sprung loose.
Thanks for the tip.
Pat
Just how brutal is this? And do you guys recommend it? Does anyone do this long term? I looked at some You Tube videos. It looks good but tough. Just curious. I feel better about this stage of P4 (still a work in progress) but I need to tone up. Also, can guy do this?

Also, has anyone tried Ripped in 30?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyh50 View Post
I am having a colonoscopy next Monday! Anyone else have one while on phase one? My directions say that I can have an ensure drink for break and lunch. Do you think an IP drink is perfectly acceptable?
I had one last year. The prep was awful. The procedure was quick. I don't know if you can have IP. My guess is yes but I just had to drink that weird liquid and wasn't allowed to eat. Stay very, very close to a bathroom when you start taking the prep stuff.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #339  
Started IP 12/30/11

Default Elana's Pantry

Oops. Too many posts by me.

Thought some of you might appreciate this.
http://www.elanaspantry.com/getting-...ple-sclerosis/

Elana's Pantry is a blog with many gluten free recipes. Elena has celiac and had to figure out to cook recipes for her and her son that her non-celiac son and husband would eat. She also seems to have some Paleo and other recipes now. What I did not know was that she also has MS. This blog entry is really good but I thought the bit in there about rebuilding health would talk to you. This is a woman who took control of her life and her health. I just did not know how much.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #340  
SBDubs

S/C/G: 198.4/179.6/165

Height: 5'11''

Thanks everyone for your insight.

Does anyone have a guideline or anything that helps them understand whats a fat vs a carb?

In general im seeing fats as oils and dairy and carbs as grains and strachy foods. I was wondering it there was a number of grams of each (fat/carbs) that anyone follows.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #341  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Stacey, that's a great question. I hope you get some responses as I'm also very confused about that.
I noticed that the Jillian Michael's Shred is available on youtube by session. I think I will try the level one today to see if it's for me, before I order from amazon.
Happy news! Did my weekly weigh in this morning, and I lost another pound! Ha! So psyched!

Last edited by Dakin; 06-21-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #342  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

purple - I'm here, I'll post with you...I'm a little more active then most on this forum...wish more people had the same time

Jelly you're doing fab...you're on alternatives now right? or did you go back to IP products?

Stacy I try to keep the ones that are equal in fat and carbs to my free day...and make sure there is a big difference in them during the week. Ie, my low fat banana granola bar is 14 carbs and 1.5 fat...so I call that a carb. Not sure what others are doing.

Last edited by Ishbel; 06-21-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #343  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
All you ladies truly amaze me... I look forward to the day of "hanging" out with ya!! Ill get there, but this last 25 will be the death of me...
JellyMae,
You look FABULOUS!! I don't know you, but I'm proud of you. I wish my 2 sisters would do IP, they both need to lose 100 + pounds but don't really seem to care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
Just how brutal is this? And do you guys recommend it? Does anyone do this long term? I looked at some You Tube videos. It looks good but tough. Just curious. I feel better about this stage of P4 (still a work in progress) but I need to tone up. Also, can guy do this?

Also, has anyone tried Ripped in 30?
None of these are really brutal. They are tough and if they weren't they wouldn't be worth the money, imho. 30 day Shred is something I worked up to and the mere fact I was doing things in very short segments (the 20 minutes is broken up into warm up, cool down and 3 segments), so as soon as 1 part of the body is exhausted, you are onto a different area, so not perhaps as tough as it might sound. But it was tough, hmmm, think I might go back to it. My 6'3" husband only did it twice, so yes, guys could do this and get a great workout. My husband didn't like the challenge and the speed because he's used to doing these slowly and it was too tough for him.

Ripped in 30 is by Jari Love? Don't have that one. I have 5 of her workout videos and progressed from Shred to them. Hers are longer - the ones I have - around 45 min to an hour. I really like them, she's motivational. I was doing all of these in my great room with hand weights and would do a tape daily, working different body parts so muscles had the required rest.

Now I use a personal trainer at a small gym. Later today I will (re) start callanetics as those exercises will sculpt a woman's body to look more like a ballerina. Tough and results show quickly.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #344  
Started IP 12/30/11

Thank you, Chloe222. Diet has always been much easier than exercise for me and I need to get started. I used to be a walker but I realize I really need to get that heart rate up. I did watch the You Tube video of 30dayShred. Ripped in 30 is also Jillian. Per Amazon reviews, people seem to really like that one. Some like it better but if you feel 30 day is a good start then I want to try it.

The diet can leave you a little jellowy but my skin is starting to come in and tighten more. Looks like that video will help.

Also, sometimes I have issues with my knees (arthritis??) and bottom of feet pain so I would appreciate any suggestions. I literally am in the learning to crawl stage when it comes to exercise but I got really motivated when I would read Maintainers threads (going back a bit) So, while I am figuring out my way through early P4, I also want to get in shape. What little I did felt good. Really good. Achey but good. Posture, confidence - all kinds of things seems to improve rather quickly.

With me it's often about fitting into a jeans size but now it's time to move on to the next level. Movement. Energy. Strength. And other good things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8
Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred: Level 1
Old 06-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #345  

Purple Sky,
Check out this one too, its the Wedding Workout from Women's Health magazine. Its not difficult from a technique perspective but effective. I was alternating this with 30 day Shred. The other one you mention wasn't available when I bought 30 day shred, however, the 20 minute duration really takes away excuses like, "no time". Can always do 20 minutes for my health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuHI_dE63vE
Closed Thread