3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   New To IP, Nervous! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/259055-new-ip-nervous.html)

lhams 05-14-2012 11:39 PM

New To IP, Nervous!

Hello all!

I will be starting the Ideal Protein diet next week. However I am nervous that there will actually be results, because it is unfortunately a lot of money.

Being a student I can only afford so much, although I have done my research and have heard great things about IP. My greatest concern is that I won't follow the guidelines, whether its me caving or me being completely unknowing, and waste the food/money because I have to restart the 5 days :S

Anyways I was hoping for some advice. If some students out there have done this diet I would love to hear from you. But advice from everyone would be great.

Thanks!

ProteinGal 05-15-2012 12:27 AM

It may look like alot of $, but you won't be spending money on junk food. To me its a investment to your health and well being. Before going into this plan you really have to commit yourself and ask yourself, how bad you want to reach your goal(s)?

Just don't cheat
is the biggest advise on this plan because this diet plan works, its all figured out for you.

cupcakecathy 05-15-2012 03:38 AM

I was like you a week ago, I started last Thursday and it was been OK, no big problems, a learning curve for sure but something that you can stick with and the cost will be worth it in the end.

collingwood 05-15-2012 06:01 AM

How does it actually work? I'm from Australia and only heard about IP since joining here. Do you have to buy their products?

I am working on a Protein diet type thing without actually joining anything. We have a thing called Bodytrim in Australia and I have seen the DVD's and understand what they are saying.... basically we eat too much carbs which turns in to sugar and fat if we don't burn it off.

So they suggest eating things low in carbs and eat more protein rich foods which protein feeds our muscles and organs and mean we have to do less work to burn off the sugar and fats.

The idea with any diet should be you want it to be a lifestyle for now and forever so you can maintain it. I think any diets where they get you to buy their product will be hard to maintain over the long run.

Bodytrim also encourage a day off where you can have anything, but the following day has to be a protein day.

So I'm basically trying to follow those principles and avoid eating sugars and carbs and focus on protein rich foods.

sanibelover 05-15-2012 06:19 AM

Welcome! You can do this!! I have to agree with ProteinGal, just Don't Cheat! You probably won't be hungry after the first few days - sure, you could eat, but you won't be hungry. You probably won't have tremendous cravings either, so that helps. Get in the mindset that you WILL do this.

I just tell myself that the food will always be there, but I will enjoy life a lot more if I don't eat it now! It is a lot of money, but very worth it if you stick to the protocol.

Good luck and use these boards for support!

usmcvet 05-15-2012 11:28 AM

It Works! I would agree it looks like a lot of money but when I think about what I am not spending money on I think it actually saves me money. I used to eat out a LOT. Lunch most days and breakfast on the way to work along with a stop at a local store most days for a snack. That has to be close to $20 a day average with some higher and some lower. I still like to go out to eat once a week with the family but eat an approved meal.

My wife freaked out when she saw the cost of the food but has not made a peep since the second or third week because I am doing it, sticking with it and making great progress.

Good luck and check out the alternative food threads, I do IP and Proto Thin from Nashua Nutrition.

There is a ton of good info here on 3fc.

KristenV410 05-18-2012 09:46 PM

Hi! I'm starting next week too and nervous! I ordered my packets from ideal to go, so no coach or clinic but I've done lots of online research and have been reading the posts. Good luck to you!

WingnutandMe 05-18-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristenV410 (Post 4338719)
Hi! I'm starting next week too and nervous! I ordered my packets from ideal to go, so no coach or clinic but I've done lots of online research and have been reading the posts. Good luck to you!

You can do it. We all started like you, wondering, questioning the cost. I've been on sooooo many diets to either not lose, or lose slowly and never kept it off. I have been on this since the middle of January. I know it works and is worth whatever sacrifices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by collingwood (Post 4333661)
How does it actually work? I'm from Australia and only heard about IP since joining here. Do you have to buy their products?

I am working on a Protein diet type thing without actually joining anything. We have a thing called Bodytrim in Australia and I have seen the DVD's and understand what they are saying.... basically we eat too much carbs which turns in to sugar and fat if we don't burn it off.

So they suggest eating things low in carbs and eat more protein rich foods which protein feeds our muscles and organs and mean we have to do less work to burn off the sugar and fats.

The idea with any diet should be you want it to be a lifestyle for now and forever so you can maintain it. I think any diets where they get you to buy their product will be hard to maintain over the long run.

Bodytrim also encourage a day off where you can have anything, but the following day has to be a protein day.

So I'm basically trying to follow those principles and avoid eating sugars and carbs and focus on protein rich foods.

You've got the principles, now all you need is the details. Go back to the first sticky,http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...t-threads.html. It talks about the phases and also other great information. Go to the Daily Chat, besides all the great info passed by those who post, there are some useful links, especially the one for Dr. Chanh's book. It explains the priniples and the whys. A must read.

You can start at an Ideal Protein clinic. The food is not for the rest of your life, so you're not dependent on it after you lose. There are those who are loosing on what is termed alternatives. I was on the IP program for three months and then a few weeks ago, switched to alternatives. I am still losing. All the advice you might need is here in these threads. Read and ask questions.

Good luck. Stick with reading this forum daily, especially when you're discouraged or stuck. Reach out. All of us are more than willing to help you through your journey.
Molly

JKfromIL 05-18-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhams (Post 4333528)
Hello all!

I will be starting the Ideal Protein diet next week. However I am nervous that there will actually be results, because it is unfortunately a lot of money.

Being a student I can only afford so much, although I have done my research and have heard great things about IP. My greatest concern is that I won't follow the guidelines, whether its me caving or me being completely unknowing, and waste the food/money because I have to restart the 5 days :S

Anyways I was hoping for some advice. If some students out there have done this diet I would love to hear from you. But advice from everyone would be great.

Thanks!

You can do it:)
Actually I was very scared that I would cheat in the beginning. I have never been able to stick to a diet before for longer than a few weeks. But almost 7 months later on IP and I have not cheated once:) For me I think a big driving force is the cost. I am a single mom and I know that I can not afford to be on this plan forever so cheating is not an option.
Good luck to you, after the first couple of weeks it is smooth sailing:)

JackBs Mom 05-18-2012 11:27 PM

I just started today myself and have all the same fears. But you know what, as the first day comes to an end I can honestly say I was not hungry once and I still feel as committed as I did this morning. Normally for me a diet is up for elimination by the evening of day 1 on count of not being able to snack - but as I write this post I am eating IP Salt & Vinegar chips - they're awesome and that salty crunchy snack craving has been filled!
Where are you from in Canada btw?

Kat2500 05-18-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Hello all!

I will be starting the Ideal Protein diet next week. However I am nervous that there will actually be results, because it is unfortunately a lot of money. Anyways I was hoping for some advice. If some students out there have done this diet I would love to hear from you. But advice from everyone would be great.

I thought that it was a lot of money also -- but like others have stated you will spend less everywhere else. I am breaking about even - and still feeding my husband. Eliminate one special coffee olr a lunch eaten out each and that alone pays for the program. I will have my 4th WI next week and I have not cheated once. It is shocking to me, but I have been able to stick with the program. Once you are past the first few days it gets sooo much better.

Kaypix 05-18-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

I can't say much about the cost of the actual IP food, I do alternative products, BUT I can say as far as "cheating" and following guidelines, this diet is like, it's like elementary school honestly. You have very basic rules, you know what time each "class" is, you know you don't get to eat during class, lunch is at a certain time, drink water between classes etc. etc. etc. And the amazing thing of this is that it is so structured that it's EASY to follow, unless you over think it. I know I only spend maybe $20/week on food right now + dinners/veggies, so I know for me that's way cheaper than me going to mc'd's 3-4 days a week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcvet (Post 4334057)
My wife freaked out when she saw the cost of the food but has not made a peep since the second or third week because I am doing it, sticking with it and making great progress.

Haha totally made me laugh :) really understand though because DH looked at the cost of protein shakes and was all GRRRR then I hit the 2nd week of not cheating and he shut up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristenV410 (Post 4338719)

Kristen, you'll do great :) How did you get registered with idealtogo? I thought we had to be from a clinic for it? I have thought about getting some of the IP products instead of all my alternatives all the time, just for some of the cookie recipes etc.

atho128 05-19-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaypix (Post 4338825)
Kristen, you'll do great :) How did you get registered with idealtogo? I thought we had to be from a clinic for it? I have thought about getting some of the IP products instead of all my alternatives all the time, just for some of the cookie recipes etc.

Actually the requirements to register with ideal to go is that you are not with a clinic. So you can register with them any time on idealtogo.com but if you are just looking to buy the products there are several websites like shopforprotein.com that carries them!

Kaypix 05-19-2012 10:22 AM

Thanks much :)

NewPath 05-19-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Hello all!

Thanks!

I have been on the program for 5 weeks....weigh in tomorrow! I remember feeling a sense fo dread for the two weeks prior to starting the diet. It was a feeling of sadness, that I had become so overweight, as well as a feelng of fear of the unknown. In addition, I was afraid of failure and worried about the expense.
So, with that said, I think that most of us have felt a bit unhappy and apprehensive prior to the start of the program.
I know that the program works. I have so many friends who have done IP and have since lost 70 or 80 pounds each.....and have no problem maintaining!!!!!
I have had nothing but success on the program. My friends told me that it was easy. I would NOT give the first three weeks and EASY at all. It was difficult.
I feel like a trail blazer. The first few weeks were tough and now I have become TOUGH! Nothing is going to stop me!
Just do it...you will never look back!
And....you have a great community here who will always support you!!!!!!
Good luck to you!