Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question not enough food?? or too much exercise? frustrated..

Okay..

So i started IP- using alternatives. Its Day 2 and im frustrated as ever. Every time before when i have done IP, i have always managed to lose at least 1 pound on the scale by the second day at least(granted its water weight, but still a pound is a pound) However, i jumped on the scale and found out that i actually went up a pound.

So what am i doing wrong? It makes me mad to think i worked so hard to get through the day, only to show nothing for it.

For Food and exercise:

I walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill at a pace of 3.0-3.5
Ran for 5 minutes at a pace of 5.0
I am trying to get into running again..so i walk for 4 minutes and then do 1 minute of solid running at a higher pace and then go back down to walking again. I do this intermittently until i hit 30 and then do a 5 minute cool down walk and stretch

Then i drink my first RTD at 12 noon

Then at 4pm I made a veggie stir fry , consisting of:

1 cup of cabbage
3/4 cup of raw mushrooms cut up
1/4 cup of bean sprouts
1 cup of broccoli slaw< this has raw broccoli shreds, cabbage shreds
1pkg of tofu shirtake noodles (4O calories and 1 carb for the whole package)
7oz of shrimp
2tbsp of EVOO
Pinch of salt
Few splashes of soy sauce to finish it off.

At 8:00 PM, i had a vanilla RTD

That was it besides water. For some reason i thought i went over my amount of veggies but i guess i could have had another cup.

I went to bed this morning at 1 am and here i am wide awake at 6:00 am un-able to sleep.

So.. is my problem that i exercised too much? Or is it that i didnt eat enough??? I guess i was supposed to have 1 more packet since i only had 2 in the day.

Any suggestions?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #2  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

I don't do IP, so I can't help you there. However, it seems to me like you would be better served to stay off the scale for a little while and just focus on doing your program. Some people can't handle daily fluctuations. Nothing wrong with that, but to maintain sanity they shouldn't be on the scale every day.

So you did your program and your scale shows a 1 lb gain overnight. So what? Are you going to give up because it's obviously not working after one day? I'm going to assume the answer is no. So don't worry about a fluctuation.

If you're going to drive yourself crazy over every little up and down, pick a weigh-in day, whether it's once a week, once a month, whatever, and stick with that.
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Port, stay off the scale. Your body will not show any change in a day. I'd stay off the scale for the first month all together.

The big changes that you see on here did not happen overnight. They come with steady losses week by week. Some weeks have no losses as the body adjusts to new levels.

But suddenly you realize time has passed and the losses add up.
That's the only way the plan can work.

If what you posted is all you ate you only had three meals. The first of these was at noon.

Then you suddenly added heavy exercise. This is all counterproductive your body goes into shock.

That is a starvation plan, you need steady supplies of protein throughout the day.

Calm down, focus on a meal at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Last edited by patns; 05-19-2012 at 10:15 AM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #4  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Not a coach, but it looks like you are not eating enough of your IP packets and expecting too much after one day. The program consists of 3 IP packets (4 if you exercise vigorously), 4 cups veggies, 8 oz meat, 2 tsp evoo, and sea salt as needed each day.

From what I could tell, you are short by at least 1 packet (2 packets if your exercise was vigorous) and 1 cup veggies. You won't lose quicker if you cut your food at the low amount of calories we are on, you will slow your weight loss. And especially if you exercise without fuel you will burn muscle instead of fat for energy. Don't forget it takes 3-4 days to get into ketosis. Follow the program exactly and you will lose weight, it will be body fat, and you will be successful!
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #5  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

I'll second what the others have said, stay off the scale for at least a week. You're still not back into Ketosis if you're only on day two, your body is probably completely resetting itself, and remember we aren't supposed to do heavy exercise the first couple weeks because it confuses everything. Talk to your coach before getting too discouraged, it is only day two.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #6  
Porthardygurl

yah i totally thought i had gotten in 4 cups of veg with my stir-fry and forgot all about the 3rd packet.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Every time I make stir fry I retain water...probably because of the soy sauce..even though I use low sodium.

I would suggest not even stepping on a scale for at least a week.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Eat your 3 packets everyday, don't exercise for the first few weeks, and then nothing intense. If you don't follow these rules your weight loss will be a lot slower as you are just stressing out your body. This diet works, but there are no short cuts as the diet is already very low in calories.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #9  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post
So you did your program and your scale shows a 1 lb gain overnight. So what? Are you going to give up because it's obviously not working after one day? I'm going to assume the answer is no. So don't worry about a fluctuation.

If you're going to drive yourself crazy over every little up and down, pick a weigh-in day, whether it's once a week, once a month, whatever, and stick with that.

Nicely said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Eat your 3 packets everyday, don't exercise for the first few weeks, and then nothing intense. If you don't follow these rules your weight loss will be a lot slower as you are just stressing out your body. This diet works, but there are no short cuts as the diet is already very low in calories.

You should know that you should not exercise..

Port. You've done this before... You know how it works... Why are you stressing over this... You need to focus and just trying to get used to the program and how it will make you feel... If you are up after a month. Than start stressing...
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #10  
Porthardygurl

see the thing is.. ive never incorperated exercise before. I live a sedentary life ..i sit a lot during the day..and i figured walking would be okay for 30 minutes...
it helps keep my sanity..will it really make a difference if i do that?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #11  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
Nicely said...
You should know that you should not exercise..

Port. You've done this before... You know how it works... Why are you stressing over this... You need to focus and just trying to get used to the program and how it will make you feel... If you are up after a month. Than start stressing...
EXACTLY, you know how this program works. WE (jelly and I) have seen you go and come many times over this past year so you KNOW what you have to do. JUST DO IT. Both JELLY and I have loss over 100lbs, we put our head in the game and got it done. YOU just have to make up your mind. Yes, life gets in the way BUT this is something YOU have to learn to deal with. There are a few others here like Busymom and Ishbel that have also lost over 100lbs, obviously busymom has kids so her life is hectic as well BUT she learned to deal with it. There is NO reason to stress on this program, Just let it do its work BUT you have to stop making excuses and START IT and STICK TO IT....Sorry, you know me now over a year so you know I am saying all this to you not to be a B but YOU need to think about WHY you want to lose the weight. You have had many issues and excuses...figure them out so YOU can do this you know we are always here BUT this negativity has to STOP!...its NOT good for YOU
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #12  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
see the thing is.. ive never incorperated exercise before. I live a sedentary life ..i sit a lot during the day..and i figured walking would be okay for 30 minutes...
it helps keep my sanity..will it really make a difference if i do that?
If you walk at a slow pace it should be fine BUT I would wait about 2-3 weeks so that your body is used of the intake of food first.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #13  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

You should not be starting a new exercise routine the first few weeks of IP. I go for a daily 2-2.5mi walk most days with my son, but it's at an extremely leisure and slow pace and I have been doing it for 6 months before starting the program. My coach said not to exercise the first 2 weeks, your body does need to adjust to the ketosis state. You won't jump start anything by trying to cut corners on something that is designed to work at efficiency as is.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #14  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
If you walk at a slow pace it should be fine BUT I would wait about 2-3 weeks so that your body is used of the intake of food first.
I also agree with this... I wasnt able to do ANYTHING for the first 4 weeks. and even when I tried to mow my law 4 weeks later. It was tough...
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #15  
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

S/C/G: 149/146/115

Height: 5'3

Wait until the end of the week to weigh yourself...not the same day or the next one..
paulimapi is offline   Reply With Quote