Cheese?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have seen a lot of recipes with cheese in it - vegan cheese? On phase 1 what's allowed and what's good? And where do I find it at the store? I really crave cheese!
  • I'd be interested in knowing too! That's the one big difference I've seen between this diet and Atkins is the complete lack of cheese, half & half, etc.. So many of my standard low carb recipes involved cheese.
  • Same here! I love cheese! One of the hardest things i've had to go without! So far I haven't seen anything I can use on P1. Any suggestions from our pros?
  • I miss every variety of cheese imaginable , and basically dairy in general. Not even doing the 1oz / day of milk cuz I don't drink coffee...on meds so caffein = no good...to me it'd be the equivalent of watching cinemax if I walked through the dairy aisle at the grocery store...
  • I'm a newbie too, but I think the reason cheese isn't allowed is because of the amount of fat and calories in it. That's why the IP diet is not like Atkins; because Atkins is low Carb but not low calories or fat, while IP is low Carb, low calories, and low fat.

Edit: not sure which 'carbs' is capitalized, I'm typing from my tablet...
  • Yep I believe that doesn't help the weight loss, adding fat that we just have to go burn anyways...
  • Quote: I'd be interested in knowing too! That's the one big difference I've seen between this diet and Atkins is the complete lack of cheese, half & half, etc.. So many of my standard low carb recipes involved cheese.
    No cheese on IP because this is a low fat diet where Atkins isn't. Once I go into maintance I'm adding fat back into my diet as I fully believe fat isn't the issue, it's carbs. However IP says low fat, so I haven't had any cheese since last September, and boy do I love just about any kind of cheese.
  • I do remember a while back where someone was able to substitute the vegetarian vegetable cheese 2x week in place of 1 serving of vegetables. Try searching the threads.
  • Without cheese we are not able to do pitzza and some more recepies. It is a delicious food to have.. so dont miss it.
  • So is that the answer? -- no cheese at all.. not even vegetable cheese allowed.
  • I use veggie cheese sparingly.
  • Talk with your coach after going through your journal and WI history (in case you may be 'sensitive' to extras), but some folks - including Wuv - use veggie cheese sparingly w/their coach's blessing. I actually just picked up a small package of Veggie Shreds cheddar & pepper jack flavor stats:
    Serving size: 1/4 cup <--sparingly is probably less than this
    Serving/Container: 7
    Calories: 60
    Calories from Fat: 35
    Fat: 4g
    Carbs: 1g
    Fiber 0g, Sugar 0g
    Protein: 6g

*post this in the daily chat thread and you'll probably get better feedback from folks who have been adding it in.
  • My coach never said a word about a journal. He is very nice but I don't think he is an expert on this diet. ( not to mention he looks like my son's age-college boy)
  • Quote: My coach never said a word about a journal. He is very nice but I don't think he is an expert on this diet. ( not to mention he looks like my son's age-college boy)
    You don't keep a food journal? It is one of my key tools to staying on track and my coach regularly and thoroughly goes through it each visit to make sure I am OP. If you run into any loss obstacles I would see it as invaluable to tracking tweaks needed to get the scale moving. I get a new journal from my coach each month that's obviously IP stamped that has a place to mark my food, water, supplements, and activity level.
  • Quote: No cheese on IP because this is a low fat diet where Atkins isn't. Once I go into maintance I'm adding fat back into my diet as I fully believe fat isn't the issue, it's carbs. However IP says low fat, so I haven't had any cheese since last September, and boy do I love just about any kind of cheese.
    I agree. My only criticism of ip is that I think it is too low in fat. But it works...
    In maintenance I have not added back in very many carbs, but I embrace the fat! Seems to work for me.