3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Another option for rhubarb! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/257982-another-option-rhubarb.html)

IPdivajen 04-29-2012 09:24 PM

Another option for rhubarb!

Rhubarb has gotten a lot of attention these past few days, so I was delighted to get my hands on a bag of organic frozen stuff while visiting my sister this weekend.

Had 4c so I simmered it down and added three splenda. When it was done it was just under 2c finished product so I put half a cup in ziploc and was delighted to see it counts as 1c of veggies.

I wanted to try it as some kind of dessert and still had a pudding on my 'food agenda' for the day, then lightbulbs went off.

I took one ready made vanilla puddings and spread it into the bottom of a bowl. I then spread the pre-portioned, stewed rhubarb over the pudding. Then to top it all off I added a bit of the Walden Farms syrup.

Un

freakin

believable!

It's sweet and tart all at the same time. It feels so decadent but is protein and veggies! So very exciting.

Yes, it's the little things, but I had to share my find!

LizRR 04-29-2012 10:14 PM

Mmmmmmm....rhubarb & pudding <insert drool here>. I got my hands on the last 3 bags at Central Market yesterday...knew a 3FC IPer had stockpiled!

artflunky 04-29-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPdivajen (Post 4313273)
I took one ready made vanilla puddings and spread it into the bottom of a bowl. I then spread the pre-portioned, stewed rhubarb over the pudding. Then to top it all off I added a bit of the Walden Farms syrup.!

What is this? Is it an alternative product or an IP I missed??? I stewed rhubarb with Stevia last week then ate it with pulled pork, that was delicious too and didn't need a packet!

Beanie Mommy 04-29-2012 10:58 PM

My mom used to make this dessert with rhubarb all cooked down with sugar (Splenda anyone?) and then she baked it in the oven with merengue on top. I might try putting the merengue with the peach mango dink mix on top of cooked rhubarb in the oven to see if that comes out just like my mom's. If anyone has tried this, let me know. Now I just have to find that rhubarb...

iowahawkeyemom 04-29-2012 11:15 PM

I wonder if you could make a rhubarb crisp like dish. Cook the rhubarb, and then use the vanilla pudding prepared like you were making a muffin instead use it as a top crust and bake it?

Sewmam 04-30-2012 08:13 AM

I am in love with rhubarb! Never had it growing up and now I get excited about it!

I am in Phase 4, so for dessert last night, I had greek yogurt with a sauce made of cooked rhubarb and strawberries, sweetened with stevia. There is something about that flavor combo that is pure heaven!

I tried making a jello with the the sauce but it didn't seem to gel right - tasted great, but the gelatin bits stayed at the bottom. Maybe there is a reaction, like how pineapple prevents jello from firming up?

I'm going to freeze what's left of the sauce into popsicles.

I did find some fresh rhubarb yesterday, so it should be seen everywhere soon...not cheap!!! Can't wait to cook it up. I will make a flatbread out of soy powder, egg whites and cooked rhubarb with stevia, cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves and it is incredible- great snack.

Chloe222 04-30-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPdivajen (Post 4313273)
I took one ready made vanilla puddings and spread it into the bottom of a bowl. I then spread the pre-portioned, stewed rhubarb over the pudding. Then to top it all off I added a bit of the Walden Farms syrup.

Un

freakin

believable!

I'm going to do this today! Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beanie Mommy (Post 4313398)
My mom used to make this dessert with rhubarb all cooked down with sugar (Splenda anyone?) and then she baked it in the oven with merengue on top. I might try putting the merengue with the peach mango dink mix on top of cooked rhubarb in the oven to see if that comes out just like my mom's. If anyone has tried this, let me know. Now I just have to find that rhubarb...

This is a great idea too!! Hmm, maybe do this one tomorrow...

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom (Post 4313409)
I wonder if you could make a rhubarb crisp like dish. Cook the rhubarb, and then use the vanilla pudding prepared like you were making a muffin instead use it as a top crust and bake it?

Wow, sort of like a crunchy topping...or maybe use some crushed crunchy IP cereal, w/ some cinnamon?

WHO COULD NOT JUST LOVE THIS DIET?

Marionm 04-30-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewmam (Post 4313634)
I am in love with rhubarb! Never had it growing up and now I get excited about it!

I'm going to freeze what's left of the sauce into popsicles.

I'm from California originally and just don't remember seeing it anywhere. I do remember hearing of pies made with it, but that was rare. I first saw it grown about 3 years ago (now living in Iowa) and now, I'm even willing to eat it frozen. I wonder if it's more of a midwest ingredient...

I love the idea of popsicles!

I use the frozen like other have and cook it down with a little splenda and then, I add some WF syrup--either strawberry or maple for flavor and put it over the IP pancake ---which were always more like a crepe. I've also eaten it with IP oatmeal.

Yep, rhubarb is definitely on my lunch menu today!

momof2greatcats 04-30-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom (Post 4313409)

I did the same thing (stewing it down) and put the maple oatmeal IP packet on top and put it in the oven - didn't really brown all that well, but I stirred it all together and it was AMAZINGLY good.

I've also done the stewed down rhubarb in the IP raspberry gelatin - also VERY good.

It's on my grocery list this week!!

IPdivajen 04-30-2012 09:20 AM

Was telling my SIL about my discovery yesterday and she said her in laws have a huge rhubarb plant growing out of control on their property and that she'd pick me up some. Yahoo! Free fresh rhubarb! So excited!

Ugh. Must go add 'you get THIS excited about rhubarb' to the 'you know you're addicted to IP when...' thread.

IPdivajen 04-30-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artflunky (Post 4313356)
What is this? Is it an alternative product or an IP I missed??? I stewed rhubarb with Stevia last week then ate it with pulled pork, that was delicious too and didn't need a packet!

Sorry, when I said pre-portioned I meant the portions that I had made after I stewed and stored it. So half a cup of finished product that represented one cup of raw rhubarb.

ProteinGal 04-30-2012 09:30 AM

You gals are making me drool!

I looked and looked all over town for frozen rhubarb, nobody sells it. I can't wait for my own plants to produce some!

LSJ100 04-30-2012 09:32 AM

I just tried it yesterday for the first time and really liked it - after I stewed it down I put it in the blender and then chilled it and ate it like applesauce...however mine had a lot of water still so I measured a cup cooked thinking with the water it still was only 1 C veg...do you think I got too much? How much water did you use when you cooked it?

Also, I noticed with 4 Splenda packets per serving it still had a bit of a veggie aftertaste...anyone else find this? Still awesome though!

IPdivajen 04-30-2012 09:51 AM

My advice is to use very little water when stewing. I looked up a bunch of recipes online and for 8 cups of rhubarb they only suggest 4-5tbsps of water. Insane, but true! I used even less because mine was frozen - in fact, I kept dumping out water as it cooked and mine was great.

I'd always be cautious about measuring after instead of before. I make a lot of emulsified/reduced down stuff and always take the time to do the math to make sure I'm not getting more or less veggies than what I put in.

Ie - yesterday I boiled the heck out of a bag of frozen bell peppers. Nine cups went in, plus some water, and once it was all boiled and emulsified, I had six cups come out. So I measured the final product into one cup portions, put them into ziploc bags to add to soup, and wrote 1.5 on the outside of the ziploc because that one cup of final product was actually 1.5 cups of peppers going in. I do this weekly with a mixture of frozen cauliflower and broccoli, too - a great way to get veggies in very easily and all the prep is done Sunday afternoon! Really boosts the quantity of your soup at lunch so I always feel that much more full, and it doesn't augment the taste much at all.

IPdivajen 04-30-2012 09:53 AM

Oh yeah - when I cooked my 4 cups of rhubarb yesterday I ended up using 4 packs of Splenda to sweeten it when it was done cooking (apparently you don't sweeten it until it's already finished cooking). That way I knew I had one pack of splenda per serving so I wasn't going overboard on the carbs from splenda.

It still had a nice, tart taste which was really accented by the sweetness of the maple syrup. Can't wait to have it for dessert again tonight!