Old 04-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #1  
Restarted IP 3/19/12

S/C/G: HW257 230/202.8/125

Height: 5'2

Question Do we minus fiber when counting carbs?

Good Morning All,

Do we minus fiber when counting carbs like they do when following Atkins? Would my broccoli be 6 carbs or 4 on IP?

Broccoli (1c, 91g) 6 carb - 2 fiber = 4 net carbs (2g sugars)
Pookiepotpie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

IP says that you don't need to worry about counting carbs and just follow what's on the sheet. However if you're totally obsessed about getting the right amounts of everything like me, then yes you would subtract fiber.
Normally, If you follow the sheet it will be within the right amounts though.

The average amount of net carbs for someone to stay in ketosis 40-50g of net carbs, HOWEVER each person is different. Some people can be in ketosis and take in 100g of net carbs. Others may need to cut it to way less, around 30.
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 172.5/129/128

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiR View Post
IP says that you don't need to worry about counting carbs and just follow what's on the sheet. However if you're totally obsessed about getting the right amounts of everything like me, then yes you would subtract fiber.
Normally, If you follow the sheet it will be within the right amounts though.

The average amount of net carbs for someone to stay in ketosis 40-50g of net carbs, HOWEVER each person is different. Some people can be in ketosis and take in 100g of net carbs. Others may need to cut it to way less, around 30.
Carb total questions are coming from the information video's - http://www.idealcoaching.tv/details.html
they say some people may need less carbs. than others.
PEIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I can't wait to watch these videos! The total carb thing must depend on so much, like the person's weight, what the health of their pancreas/insulin levels are, etc. That must be why some people can tolerate different levels.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #5  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

I watched these video's a while ago when I first started and they seems to confuse me more than help me because they talk about counting the carbs and all of that. This is going to confuse sooooo many people. Just FOLLOW THE SHEET!!.....Stick to what you know!....don't make it complicated.....keep it simple
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Yes! Wuv is right! Even close to my goal weight I found it didn't matter....
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #7  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
I watched these video's a while ago when I first started and they seems to confuse me more than help me because they talk about counting the carbs and all of that. This is going to confuse sooooo many people. Just FOLLOW THE SHEET!!.....Stick to what you know!....don't make it complicated.....keep it simple
Hi Wuv. The Drs and coaches involved in those videos do reinforce the fact that years of research have gone into IP, and that one just needs to stick to the protocol 100% without over analyzing it and it WORKS. As one of the 'Alternative Product' people here, I have found them very useful though. While everyone on here is fantastic with support and advice - and some of you are now experts in your own right because of your proven weight loss on this program - I found it reassuring to find this resource that 'comes from the horse's mouth' of the participating Dr. and coaches. Especially for those of us who are doing our best to follow the protocol of IP, but using alternative products. If I was doing IP 100% with their products, I wouldn't be at all concerned and would just 'follow the sheet' and rely on the advice of my coach - save myself the aggravation of even thinking about all of this.

BTW, like so many others have said, your last photo is stunning. I can't wait to see your pic as you get even closer to your goal. I think your hairstyle influenced me... I went out and got a new, shorter, more sassy haircut yesterday in honor of my weight loss success to date. I wasn't 100% sure how I liked it yesterday when I got home, but after washing and blow-drying it today I've decided I really like it. It's a chin-length, graduated bob. My hair was almost shoulder length before. Definitely a noticeable change.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #8  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookiepotpie2 View Post
Good Morning All,

Do we minus fiber when counting carbs like they do when following Atkins? Would my broccoli be 6 carbs or 4 on IP?

Broccoli (1c, 91g) 6 carb - 2 fiber = 4 net carbs (2g sugars)
Yes Pookie, the Dr. who participates in the coaching videoclip series does say that we use net carbs. In the video he's talking about the carbs in one of the IP restricted bars... points out it has 15 carbs, but also notes that it has 1 gm of fibre, which would be deducted to give the net of 14 carbs towards that day's total carb count (Which he says we should keep between 25 - 40 carbs). He points out that in the example of that particular bar, it doesn't affect the situation much as it's only 1 carb, but that another item with a higher fibre content would produce a more significant result in the 'net carbs' outcome and that we should be aware of this. So your question about the broccoli --- you'd use the 4 net carbs towards your day's carb total.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #9  
Restart IP 05/19/14

S/C/G: 370/349/150

I am one of those who will be driven away by attempts to make this protocol more complicated than it has to be. The "sheet" is the same and should be followed whether using IP products or alternatives. 2 cups of veggies is 2 cups of veggies.

I pay good money to not have to think about it any more than I have to.

Over the years, the Atkins boards became so diluted and micro-managed by people over analyzing things.

Sorry, just my opinion. I really count on these boards to help me stay focused and OP.
mylastdiet is offline   Reply With Quote