3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Will Power (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/256982-will-power.html)

2leftfeet 04-15-2012 08:39 AM

Will Power

Ok this post is going to get a lot of response I feel.

I needed to vent and figured here is the only place I can get support!

I started IP exactly 12 weeks ago today and have done incredibly well......not gonna lie I am very proud of myself.
At the time I started the diet, I decided to let a few friends in on "the secret of IP" as no one around my area had heard of the diet before.
I had about 5 friends all start within 5 to 10 days of me. At this point, me and one other friend (who's a member on this forum also :-) are the only two to stick to the diet.

Here is my point:

I am sick of the other friends complaining about me now....saying I am obsessed and so on and so forth. I know they are all just jealous cause they all gave up...some within 4 weeks some went as far as 8 weeks. What makes me laugh is that now that they see how successful this diet can be, they all want back on and what kills me even more is that they were on there way and all doing well on there own journeys!

I guess this all comes down to will power. I set a goal for myself and that was to lose 50-60 lbs and so far in 12 weeks I am at 52.1 lbs. I am proud of myself but not so much at the weight ive lost........at the fact that I am stronger then I ever thought!!

I am sorry for venting, but I am just ticked with people who think things are easy and once it gets hard, jump off the program and then bash it!!

Guess whos jealous now???? lol

Thanks guys

New Englander 04-15-2012 08:57 AM

Like any diet you have to be mentally and emotionally prepared for the journey it will take you on. Fortunately you and your one friend are both prepared and will succeed. In time, if your other friends need to slim down and get healthy they'll have to do it on their own terms (i.e. when they are ready and not because YOU were ready). Just be a supportive friend for when they are ready and if they are difficult to be around (saying your obsessed with IP) then maybe they aren't the great friends you thought they were and are more like acquaintances because a true friend will support you through this.

Good luck, and stay classy and positive no matter what others say! :)

Sewmam 04-15-2012 09:20 AM

what NewEnglander said...

this journey has been such an emotional one for me. I had much more to loose than you did, and wrote in my journal everyday. Figuring out the why's of overeating is so important to lasting health. If we don't figure that out, it is even harder to have any kind of willpower. I commend you on your progress and determination!

I know I drive my friends and family nuts with my obsession too, but being obsessed with doing right was the only way I stayed OP and accomplished what I did. Now I'm at a place, where I can 'calmly' obsess until I get these new patterns ingrained in my brain, so now I don't talk about it as much with others. Everybody has their opinions and I don't need to hear it from anyone who does not have a clue what this journey is like. ;) That's why this forum has been so very helpful.

Good luck and carry on!!!

usmcvet 04-15-2012 09:22 AM

2leftfeet

Sounds like you are almost there. Keep up the hard work, we all know it is hard work. Last night my wife told me I would never stick to this diet and would fail like I have all others. I've lost 35 in two weeks, lots of water the first week, 25#, and I feel so much better and I've been encouraged. I've not cheated at all on this diet. It's working for me, obviously for you too. Keep to it and you will reach your goals.

I am proud of everyone here who's working towards their goals and to those who've made it and are maintaining.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...t0331/35-1.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...vet0331/35.jpg

2leftfeet 04-15-2012 10:50 AM

Thanks everyone!
I guess it is just me and I take things to personal....like when people have negative comments towards the diet. There all for it when they noticed how much weight ive lost, but as soon as you tell them its a "diet" they all criticize. I am not letting what they say impact my success at all, actually its quite the obvious!
I have always worried to much about what others think...that has always been a personal problem of mine.
All the best to you all and keep up the good work! this diet is not just a diet, its a new way of life for us all!!!

DanafromAustin 04-15-2012 10:53 AM

I'm sure your friends are jealous that they couldn't stick to it, but don't be angry at them. This is not easy work at all, and just because some people start doesn't mean they were really ready to in their own head.

I was SO ready when I started IP almost 7 months ago now. At the time I told myself I could do anything for a year (figuring that would be how long it would take me to loose), and I wrapped my mind around that concept. Your friends just might have jumped on the wagon without fulling making that commitment to themselves.

I think those of us who are successful on IP are obsessed with this plan because for so many of us we have found something that is working well for the first time ever or in a very long time.

You're doing great, and something to be very proud of.

drakegirl 04-15-2012 10:59 AM

Wow! I thought it hurt when my sister said "you'll just gain it all back" but if my husband had said that - it might have been more than I could handle! Keep up your great strength usmcvet! As for me - this program was introduced to me when I was ready and I'm so grateful - those who don't support me don't value me the way I deserve to be valued do I don't value their opinions. Stay sting and proud!!

swimcoachmomma 04-15-2012 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=2leftfeet;4294179]Ok this post is going to get a lot of response I feel.

I needed to vent and figured here is the only place I can get support!

I started IP exactly 12 weeks ago today and have done incredibly well......not gonna lie I am very proud of myself.
At the time I started the diet, I decided to let a few friends in on "the secret of IP" as no one around my area had heard of the diet before.
I had about 5 friends all start within 5 to 10 days of me. At this point, me and one other friend (who's a member on this forum also :-) are the only two to stick to the diet.

Here is my point:

I am sick of the other friends complaining about me now....saying I am obsessed and so on and so forth. I know they are all just jealous cause they all gave up...some within 4 weeks some went as far as 8 weeks. What makes me laugh is that now that they see how successful this diet can be, they all want back on and what kills me even more is that they were on there way and all doing well on there own journeys!

Wow. This really resonated with me today. First of all, good for you in keeping to the path. For me, the concept of will power has become "I deserve this new life I have made for myself and I am not going to mess it up for a taste of whatever". Remember when we used to say "I deserve this" about the piece of pie or candy or whatever? I deserve to be healthy. I am worth the costs of this program. As someone here said.... We are not dogs, so it is time to stop rewarding ourselves with food.

Anyway, I was listening to a talk on group dynamics just a couple days ago. Groups like the status quo. They get shaken up when someone makes a change. When they all were on the diet together it was great and you were all comrades in the fight against the weight. However, when the others decided they were no ready to do this and dropped out, the rest of the group went back to how they were. Just an example. In every group there is a fattest member. When that member is no longer the fattest, what does that do to the second fattest, who is now the fattest?? Group dynamics change, especially if they alll started the journey with you, changed their minds, and are now eating their hearts out.

In a quote from a codependency program, my advice to you is the three C's and it is not constipation this time. You did not Cause this issue in your group, you cannot Control it, and you cannot Cure it. The only thing you can control is your attitude and what you choose to put in your own mouth. Good for you. Saboteurs are everywhere, even sometimes dressed up as friends. Sorry for the tough love, but that is my truth.

patns 04-15-2012 11:26 AM

Lots of people don't understand the principles behind the diet. It is a very unusual approach. If people read all the info available such as the down loadable book they will make a more informed commitment.

To me it was not as much a question of will power but more of understanding why you needed to get totally detoxed of the bad stuff and then you don't have cravings anymore.

I find it so annoying when people post things like "Help, I lost 9 pounds the first week and only 7 pounds my next week, what's wrong????"

Those people fall by the wayside pretty quick because they are looking for instant success and it is a long day by day slug that brings success.

As for family members saying you will gain it all back, in my case they have seen me spend money on every program out there with no long term success. So I can understand why people think it is more of the same old.

No one said anything that blatant to me but after I had lost the weight I asked my adult daughter why she had not commented on the fact I am much smaller.

She said as long as she can remember I have been on diets. She said she learned a long time ago not to comment on my weight losses because she also did not comment on my gains which came immediately after I stopped whatever plan I was doing.

As WUV said many times in response to panic questions "This is your personal journey." Only us can feel the resolve inside and let that be our guide.

And guess what? Once you get to goal it doesn't take long for people to get used to you at that size either and the compliments stop too. So we have to learn to monitor our own progress, that is such an important part of the long term plan.

shiipa 04-15-2012 12:11 PM

I too started this diet with some friends and I am the only one still on it. When I am asked about it, I just say that I'll go with it as long as my willpower is strong.
The funny thing is that, although I am obsessed with it, I don't bring the diet up in conversation, others so. I guess it's because the changes are visible now.
Whatever their motivation may be, I am determined to be humble, and tell them that I know how to lose weight and we will see if I can learn to keep it off.
We all have been on the other side before, watching people lose weight and feeling depressed that we were not doing it. Honestly, were we envious?
I think so:D

wuv2bloved 04-15-2012 01:32 PM

Good thread to start....

My frustration is a lot closer to home. My cousin has congestive heart failure and was told he has the heart of a 89yr old man. He is 46, once I got on the program and explained it to him he said well I'm doing WW and its working. I told him, ok fine, how much have you loss in the last month? he said 3lbs..I said ONLY 3???(yes I used ONLY ...lol) I said I loss 17 in One month. So I broke it down for him because he eats out a lot and told him he could do it. He said it was too expensive blah blah blah so I left him alone. I went back and saw him a month later to check on him again he has loss only 3lbs and by that time I had loss 40lb. His mouth dropped to the floor, he was amazed. So he asked about the program again I explained it to him and told him....When you go out to eat you are spending anywhere from $15-20 a meal correct? he said yea...I said I spend $4 on a meal ok maybe $5 with my veggies and that is it! Well he decided to start which was last August, I started in April, and between Aug-Nov he loss 53lbs. He went off of program for Thanksgiving and hasn't been able to get back 100% since. He says its too hard blah blah blah....he has gain 20lbs back..I told him YOU need to decide if YOU WANNA LIVE OR DIE....plain and simple. I chose to LIVE and that is what I am going to do...Dr told me I was going to be in a wheel chair and that was enough for me. If the Dr told me I had a heart of an 89yr old woman and if i didn't do anything I would die....I be dam* My butt would of got on something to lose weight. I don't think he will ever get to his goal but that is his choice, all I can do is support him. I beat my head against the wall because I get so made. We can go to a buffet, I get ONLY what we can have, he gets EVERYTHING, I just look at him and shake my head and he said I can't eat JUST what you are eating I have to taste it all. He has NO CONTROL!...I DO....but this is HIS life not mine so who am I to tell him so I don't. I just do what I HAVE TO DO..I AM going to get to my goal within the next few months I AM VERY PROUD OF MYSELF!

Some people live to eat, some eat to live, he is the first, I am the second. When people ask me how I am doing it I don't tell them I am on a diet I tell them I am on an Ideal protein PROGRAM then they don't say anything else. Sometimes its the words we chose that make the difference.

I for one could not be happier for choosing this program getting me 150lbs lighter in 11 months. I CHOSE LIFE....I want to LIVE.....I am SOOOO happy I found this forum to share everything with y'all and the support here is INCREDIBLE!!!!!.....I have made a lot of friends for life here because we all understand each other's struggles and can help each other through that. THANK YOU to EACH AND EVERYONE of you for sharing your stories!!!

Sewmam 04-15-2012 01:47 PM

Wow, Wuv, once again I am impressed by your story!

Swimcoach - I love what you say about the 3 C's. So true....

I have learned use and appreciate food as a nutrition now, but I also enjoy the heck out of it. I love food and think it is one of the joys of life. Cooking everything from scratch again is one of the pleasures of this diet. It's just that I need to set limits or I will have none. I still haven't had my planned splurge Phase 4 day, the dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant, or the (small) bag of cheetos, or the girl scout cookies in my freezer, or a zillion other things. They will come, in time, in amounts that I have control over and choose to control or forgo completely. Once I don't have those episodes where I'm out of my head with exhaustion and I grab the wrong thing, I'll consider them. It's a process.

wuv2bloved 04-15-2012 02:05 PM

My 20 yr old told me yesterday, when he comes home for the summer he wants me to put him on the program. I told him AWESOME!!!!....he has seen me change because I don't see him everyday and he is impressed each time he comes home from college. He will be here for 3 months....WOOHOO!!!!...let the fun begin!!...he probably needs to lose 150lbs if not more but at least if I can get him started here and show him how to do it he will continue once he goes back to school. When he sees the results I think that will be enough motivation for him to keep going once he goes back so we will see!

I know my 24 yr old has loss about 25lbs in the last few month. He doesn't follow the program but he eats what I eat for dinner. He is impressed with himself and is doing things he never did before and isn't ashamed to do things. Probably another 25lbs and he will be happy with himself. I don't push my eating habits on him, he just follows it, so I am happy with that!

SammyGirl2414 04-15-2012 02:24 PM

I feel ya 2leftfeet! I live in a small town as well, fortunately A big portion of the town is well aware of what Ideal Protein is. A HUUUUGE portion of the women in the town tried it when it first got here. - and A HUUUUGE portion of women lasted a few weeks and bashed it.

I'm PROUD I'm on the diet. I'm on my 6th week and have lots 25lbs and 20 some inches. It hasn't been easy, but I'm very PROUD that i'm sticking to it, and looking in the mirror and falling in love with the person that's staring back at me for the first time in a long time.

In this town most of the people don't remember the name of Ideal Protein.. they refer to it as "The Spa Diet" as its a spa that sells it here. And as soon as they realize my success is from the "Spa Diet" i'm lectured on how "unhealthy it is" and how "So and so got so sick and could have died on it" and etc etc etc. No one's proud of me for sticking to it except for my immediate family, everyone frowns when I bring it up. So I've been basically keeping it a secret but now my weight is noticable and people are asking what I'm doing. As soon as I say how i'm losing it they go "oh no, that's not good at all!! You're going to make yourself soo sick! Go see a doc!" And its frustrating because these are people that know nothing about the diet, and just judge based on silly rumors that have went around town and I instantly have the fight attitude up and want to stand up for the Ideal Protein name. But no one gets it.

It really bugs me that I can't openly talk to people about it. I feel guilty about being happy for my success because as soon as I am - I get lectured. It's frustrating!

FYI NO one got seriously sick and "almost died" from the diet in this town.

CassiR 04-15-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyGirl2414 (Post 4294558)
I feel ya 2leftfeet! I live in a small town as well, fortunately A big portion of the town is well aware of what Ideal Protein is. A HUUUUGE portion of the women in the town tried it when it first got here. - and A HUUUUGE portion of women lasted a few weeks and bashed it.

I'm PROUD I'm on the diet. I'm on my 6th week and have lots 25lbs and 20 some inches. It hasn't been easy, but I'm very PROUD that i'm sticking to it, and looking in the mirror and falling in love with the person that's staring back at me for the first time in a long time.

In this town most of the people don't remember the name of Ideal Protein.. they refer to it as "The Spa Diet" as its a spa that sells it here. And as soon as they realize my success is from the "Spa Diet" i'm lectured on how "unhealthy it is" and how "So and so got so sick and could have died on it" and etc etc etc. No one's proud of me for sticking to it except for my immediate family, everyone frowns when I bring it up. So I've been basically keeping it a secret but now my weight is noticable and people are asking what I'm doing. As soon as I say how i'm losing it they go "oh no, that's not good at all!! You're going to make yourself soo sick! Go see a doc!" And its frustrating because these are people that know nothing about the diet, and just judge based on silly rumors that have went around town and I instantly have the fight attitude up and want to stand up for the Ideal Protein name. But no one gets it.

It really bugs me that I can't openly talk to people about it. I feel guilty about being happy for my success because as soon as I am - I get lectured. It's frustrating!

FYI NO one got seriously sick and "almost died" from the diet in this town.

WOW! That would seriously make me angry. All those women are weak and the fact that they are throwing it way out of proportion shows how jealous and fake they are. You should be so PROUD of accomplishing what you have!