Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/140

Default IP & Supplements

Hello all you strong will-powered IP'ers! I have a secret to share that has increased my success with this program. Please note, I am not a IP Coach, I am not promising results I'm just sharing with you what I do and what has recently increased the pounds I go down!

I started IP in January 2012. I started at 184 lbs and am currently down to 158 lbs. My results should have been strong but I had a vacation for 10 days and a couple other events that slowed my results over the last month and a half. That being said, from last week to this week, I am down 9 inches, which is my largest drop since being on the program. I am now averaging 1 lbs per DAY (yes, I'm a scale addict) compared to the .4 to .6 daily average I had before. What do I think increased this. I removed my daily restrictive and I added CLA to my supplements. CLA is a supplement that I have taken in previous years with diet plans and have always seen results.

Here is what I take for supplements:

IP's Multivitamin
IP's Cal-Mag
IP's Potassium
2 Digestive Enzymes three times a day
2 Green Tea Extract - 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch
2 Anti-Oxidents - 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch
1 Acai capsule- Breakfast
2 CLA's three times a day
3 Omega 3-6-9 at Supper

Here's a view of my daily weights, you can see the days that I had 'cheats' and the days that I was 100% OP.

3/29 - 161.4
3/30 - 160.2
4/3 - 162.2 (Our anniversary dinner)
4/4 - 161.0
4/5 - 160.0
4/6 - 159.0
4/7 - 158.4 (girls night out)
4/8 - 160.2 (Easter)
4/9 - 159.4
4/10 - 158.4
4/1 - 157.4
March 30-April 10th - Down 9 inches overall

I'm going to keep up with what I am doing (minus as many cheats as possible) until I reach my goal.

I understand that many of you are anti-cheats, and I FULLY respect that, I just wanted to show honest results.

Note: I asked my Coach about it and she didnt know much about CLA and was concerned about adding anything outside of the program but has definitely agreed that it has helped my results.

Please feel free to ask any questions!
MrsChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

I removed my daily restrictive and I added CLA to my supplements. CLA is a supplement that I have taken in previous years with diet plans and have always seen results.

What's CLA?
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJ100 View Post
I removed my daily restrictive and I added CLA to my supplements. CLA is a supplement that I have taken in previous years with diet plans and have always seen results.

What's CLA?
CLA is congugated linoleic acid. It is also in the tea that IP sells. I also saw it mentioned on Dr. Oz, so did a little searching, and there is some data that it may help prevent colon cancer, another study showed it can cause fatty liver, which is a concern for diabetics. I was going to get some, but decided against it. Of course, these studies need to be duplicated and all that, but with my health problems, I decided to not do it.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
2 CLA's three times a day
LSJ100, I'm curious to know what dosage of CLA you're taking? I have some that have 740mg per capsule... is this in the same dosage area as what you're taking daily? Obviously 2 capsules would equal 1480 mg daily.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #5  

Each capsule is 1000 mg so a total of 6000 mg
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #6  

I use Webbers Naturals CLA, here is what it is described as:

Helps promote fat reduction and increase lean muscle mass.
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) is a naturally-occurring form of linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid found mainly in grass-fed dairy and meat products. CLA helps block fat storage, and prevents unused fat from accumulating in muscle cells. It does this by interfering with a fat-storing enzyme known as lipoprotein lipase. Many independent studies have shown that CLA helps reduce fat and fat storage, while increasing lean muscle mass.

While most people have some CLA in their diets, it is difficult to increase dietary CLA intake without consuming excessive fat at the same time. For example, to obtain 3.2 grams of dietary CLA, one would have to consume more than four gallons of ice cream, seven pounds of beef or four gallons of milk every day. Not a good way to lose weight! A quality CLA supplement is a wiser choice.

Tonalin® CLA is a CLA supplement made from natural safflower oil. It provides concentrated CLA to help you lose body fat and combined with a balanced diet and exercise, CLA can help you lose body fat, maintain healthy body weight, and keep it off.

Studies show that CLA can help you reach your weight loss goals and enhance a healthy lifestyle in three ways:

It reduces body fat by decreasing the amount of fat your body stores.
It helps maintain lean muscle by helping your body burn calories more efficiently.
It may prevent fat cells from refilling with fat, for a leaner you.
Ingredients - Each Softgel Contains:

1000 mg – Tonalin® CLA blend (from safflower oil) providing 780 mg of Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
Non-medicinal Ingredients:

Softgel capsule (gelatin, glycerin, purified water, caramel)
Caution:

May cause gastrointestinal upset. Consult your physician prior to use if you are diabetic, pregnant or breastfeeding. Keep out of reach of children.
Adult Dosage:

1-2 softgels, 3 times daily before meals or as directed by a physician.
Features and Benefits:

100% natural, non-stimulant aid for weight loss
Helps reduce body fat and increases lean body mass
Helps improve body composition when combined with a proper diet and exercise program
Diverts fat into muscle cells where it can be burned off during exercise
Activates an enzyme which promotes the burning of fat in the muscle cells
NPN (Natural Product Number) 80015978*

*This item has been reviewed by Health Canada for safety, quality and health claims.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
CLA is congugated linoleic acid. It is also in the tea that IP sells. I also saw it mentioned on Dr. Oz, so did a little searching, and there is some data that it may help prevent colon cancer, another study showed it can cause fatty liver, which is a concern for diabetics. I was going to get some, but decided against it. Of course, these studies need to be duplicated and all that, but with my health problems, I decided to not do it.

My husband is diabetes and we discussed this with our doctor prior to him taking CLA along with me. Overall, from what I have found, the below is the general census for using CLA and diabetes.

One of the most important health benefits of CLA could possibly be its ability to affect and treat some types of diabetes. According to Dr. Martha Belury at Purdue University and Dr. John Vandel Heuvel at Penn State University, CLA normalizes impaired glucose tolerance in non insulin-dependent diabetes. In earlier experiments by Houseknecht et. al., it was observed that CLA and troglitazone reversed the symptoms of diabetes in a specific diabetic animal model. Effects included decreased triglycerides, insulin and leptin, and improved glucose utilization. Belury and Vanden Heuvel conclude that CLA may represent an important agent for the treatment of Type II diabetes.

Because CLA isomers share many of the attributes of the clinical thiazolidinedione drug, troglitazone, without exhibiting as many side effects, CLA may represent a new insulin-sensitizing agent for treatment of Type II diabetes.

Not disagreeing with you, Sewmam, just wanted to share a benefit that I learned. Along with the IP program and probably mostly in part to, my husband is currently not taking any Type 2 Diabetes medication
Old 04-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChill View Post
My husband is diabetes and we discussed this with our doctor prior to him taking CLA along with me. Overall, from what I have found, the below is the general census for using CLA and diabetes.

One of the most important health benefits of CLA could possibly be its ability to affect and treat some types of diabetes. According to Dr. Martha Belury at Purdue University and Dr. John Vandel Heuvel at Penn State University, CLA normalizes impaired glucose tolerance in non insulin-dependent diabetes. In earlier experiments by Houseknecht et. al., it was observed that CLA and troglitazone reversed the symptoms of diabetes in a specific diabetic animal model. Effects included decreased triglycerides, insulin and leptin, and improved glucose utilization. Belury and Vanden Heuvel conclude that CLA may represent an important agent for the treatment of Type II diabetes.

Because CLA isomers share many of the attributes of the clinical thiazolidinedione drug, troglitazone, without exhibiting as many side effects, CLA may represent a new insulin-sensitizing agent for treatment of Type II diabetes.

Not disagreeing with you, Sewmam, just wanted to share a benefit that I learned. Along with the IP program and probably mostly in part to, my husband is currently not taking any Type 2 Diabetes medication
No problem at all! I appreciate your taking the time to post what you have learned. I just caution people that every supplement out there may or may not be healthy, depending on your own health problems, and whether it has been tested. Now I'm wondering why the paper I saw said it contributed to a fatty liver and caused problems for diabetics... Maybe it was old research, I don't know. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/184/145

Height: 5'4"

I just ordered some from Amazon!
lmlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #10  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Each capsule is 1000 mg so a total of 6000 mg
Thanks. I have some - might as well be using it. Hope it helps me like it has you. I got them a while back but never got in the habit of taking them. Thanks for the reminder that it helps.

Last edited by evepet; 04-11-2012 at 08:11 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
LSJ100, I'm curious to know what dosage of CLA you're taking? I have some that have 740mg per capsule... is this in the same dosage area as what you're taking daily? Obviously 2 capsules would equal 1480 mg daily.
I was quoting Mrs. Chill...I've never taken it before...I'm sure someone has dosing info though...it seems to be popular
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #12  

I just read another blurb that said 'some isomers' of CLA cause the problems I mentioned. It is the man-made CLA's that are the problem. Isomers have the same molecular formula and molecular weight as each other, but their structure can be different, and hence, their reactivity. The 'bad' isomers are not found, in any great quantity, in 'natural' forms, hence the one you are taking is quite different than another version that is man-made. Interesting huh? You learn something new everyday...
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 226/226/175

Height: 6'0

I will have to look into this, thanks for posting!

Last edited by Mom2Four2011; 04-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Mom2Four2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #14  

Quote:
MrsChill - now you've got me excited to try this! May I ask - by 'removed my daily restrictive' do you mean you don't have any of the IP restricted products, and if so, is that because the CLA has some fat in it, seeing as it's made from safflower oil? Just curious...

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
MrsChill - now you've got me excited to try this! May I ask - by 'removed my daily restrictive' do you mean you don't have any of the IP restricted products, and if so, is that because the CLA has some fat in it, seeing as it's made from safflower oil? Just curious...

Thanks!
Removing my restrictive was just a personal choice and nothing to do with CLA....if anything I am leaning more towards having my restrictive because of taking the CLA.

Down to 156.4 today! If this keeps up, I will reach my goal in 10 days!