3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Seltzer water (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/256451-seltzer-water.html)

lmlittle 04-07-2012 10:16 AM

Seltzer water

Hi everyone. I'm on day 3 and everything is going well. I read on here that Seltzer water is ok, but I can't find the thread. I have found that seltzer and Mi0 is really good but just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to cause any problems. Thanks :dizzy:

Pookiepotpie2 04-07-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmlittle (Post 4284055)
Hi everyone. I'm on day 3 and everything is going well. I read on here that Seltzer water is ok, but I can't find the thread. I have found that seltzer and Mi0 is really good but just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to cause any problems. Thanks :dizzy:

I hope it is that sounds amazing!!:)

KitKat169 04-07-2012 07:26 PM

I make my own carbonated water using a soda stream machine. My coach has okay'd that. Seltzer water should be similar.

IPdivajen 04-07-2012 07:57 PM

I know that Perrier is allowed - is that close enough to the same thing? I don't even know if we have seltzer water here!

lmlittle 04-08-2012 08:05 PM

Thanks! I think I may invest in a soda stream machine.

RLWhitty 04-08-2012 08:23 PM

I'm a coach and I do not allow my dieters to drink any carbonated water - it states in the start up no soda not even diet soda...the carbonation causes the brain to think you are hungry and it also causes the body to be acidic. The protocol is to make the body more alkaline based which is better, cancer cells like acidic bodies.

wuv2bloved 04-08-2012 08:26 PM

I received this sheet when I first signed up.......

WHY IS DIET SODA DISCOURAGED DURING IDEAL PROTEIN DIET?
Very interesting insights from the "Ideal Protein Nova Blog". There is a science behind why this diet works and the things you can do to take best advantage of it.

All diet drinks (i.e. sugar-free, carb-free) are NOT recommended on the diet. The problem that can arise is imbalances in acid/base regulation. The protocol is very alkaline and this is why we do not see complications common to other "protein type diets." Some diet drinks (Crystal Light for example) are mixed with water and these are acceptable. Many others (flavored Aqua-fina, Dasani, etc.) contain a lot of phosphoric acid. This is a very strong acid and will play havoc with the body's bicarbonate buffering system. This goes for diet soda's too, particularly the brown ones.

Flavored seltzers are usually OK, just read the label and make sure it is carb-free and contains no phosphoric acid. This protocol provides so many health benefits besides weight loss, it would be a shame to compromise some of the benefits by consuming these products. Also- remember, an extra cup of water for every coffee you drink!

So what CAN you drink? Drink unsweetened Herbal Tea. Add 2 bags to a large pitcher (1.5 liter) or container and seep for about 10 minutes. Use a funnel to pour into an empty 1.5 liter plastic soda bottle. I usually make 3-4 batches in one night of different flavours, so there is a wide variety of choice throughout the week. It also helps you crave drinking more.

‎1. "Aspartame" is the sweetener which Ideal Protein recommends cutting out from your other foods. The reason why is that your body can react to it like sugar, spiking your insulin. (at a certain amount.) So Crystal Light (made with nutri sweet) is not recommended. There is something in the US/Canada called MIO which you add to water which is recommended.
2. Cascade Ice wont work because there are fruit juices in it (Pear Juice concentrate).
‎3. Yes, you can add Stevia, Splenda, Truvia or other approved sweeteners to your tea. However, note that the sweeteners do have carbs in them and are not "free". Adding one packet (like a coffee sweetener size) to 1.5 liters of iced herbal tea is usually enough to sweeten it without worry. However, i drink the iced herbal teas with no sweetener and dont miss it.
‎4. Carbonation is not the problem... you can have sparkling water. However, some find that cutting out all carbonation helps with bloating/gas.

KitKat169 04-08-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmlittle (Post 4285281)
Thanks! I think I may invest in a soda stream machine.

I used to buy a lot of Perrier so for me it has been a big savings. It also allows you to add whatever flavors you want. I use the Capella drops or stevia sweeteners with flavor. I find it helps to settle my stomach and makes me less bloated but you need to figure out your response. Even this I do in moderation though too. Usually 3 glasses of regular water for every 1 carbonated.

SewingMomma 04-09-2012 08:13 AM

When I want something bubbly, I make the carbonated water with my soda stream and add mio to it. Sometimes flat water, even with mio gets old!

salmongirl 04-09-2012 09:54 AM

Wuv, I didn't know about the coffee/extra water deal! I usually have 2 cups of coffee in the morning so I guess i better up my water. Same for ice tea if it has caffeine?

SaraBean 04-09-2012 10:24 AM

I drink a lot of seltzer water. It has no carbs, sugars, acids or anything else. It hasn't affected my weight loss and doesn't make me feel hungry :) (It does make me gassy sometimes....)

I also use a soda stream! Which is amazing! I love to make my bubbly water and add lemon juice to it! Or grated ginger! Yum!

Lynnie63 04-09-2012 10:55 AM

A lot of good information here - thatnks!

I've been driniking 15 or so glasses of water day, I like my seltzer, it's nice for a change. I'll check for the phosphoric acid.

lmlittle 04-09-2012 09:02 PM

I think I'm going to run out and get a Sodastream!!!

SaraBean 04-09-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmlittle (Post 4286760)
I think I'm going to run out and get a Sodastream!!!

You should! They are awesome! You can also exchange the cartridges at bed bath and beyond for $15 instead of buying a new one.

LSJ100 04-09-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraBean (Post 4286779)
You should! They are awesome! You can also exchange the cartridges at bed bath and beyond for $15 instead of buying a new one.

Great tip! I love my soda stream but just ran out of my first cartridge and wasn't sure how to dispose of it...now I know where to go! I was missing my carbonated water as a treat!