The Maintainers Vol 5

You're on Page 9 of 35
Go to
  • Quote: Hey everyone, So when does the first "fun" day happen? Can it be the first day of maintenance or is it during the first week? It's odd because the stuff I wanted I no longer want... it's simply amazing how our tastes have changed! BUT for my first one I will try what I think I want...I think?!?!?! I just am curious as to when I can have it.. TY!
    So what did you have on your first splurge day? I still haven't had a 'planned' splurge day, i.e., going to my favorite Mexican restaurant. Have had a couple of accidental splurges, but I look forward to getting my chicken enchiladas....
  • Quote: Maile: New Englander and Sewmam: I have noticed that you both have incredibles losses to reach maintenance. Congratulations to you both..and I'll enjoy that PB along with you.

Thanks Maile!

I don't know about soy impacting the thyroid but I do know certain raw veggies aren't good for it...cruciferous vegetables should be cooked.

Broccoli, Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, Cauliflower, Kale, Bok choy, Rutabaga Collard Greens, Radish.

Just got my thyroid (and all blood work) done before beginning P3 so I can see what was happening with my body during ketosis...I'll have a nice baseline going forward too...

Thanks for that info..I will check it out.
    Be prepared that your ketones could show up high in your blood work due to eating low carb!

Enjoy Phase 3!!!!
  • Sewmam: I hope you feel better with the shakes. Are you eating enough? I have a snack at 3-4 for the same reason..tired and hungry. I usually have a protein.

I consider huumuus to be a higher carb..like one half cup of beans..That is a Phase 4 food. I make it all of the time.

Cap: I will look for that book. Hope your Phase 1 is going well.

Well. it is spring and everyone keeps commenting on my new clothes..that I diligently collected by following sales and thrift shops. It is fun..I cannot believe that I am bold enough to wear bright colors at my age..but I am doing it!!!!!
  • Quote: Sewmam: I hope you feel better with the shakes. Are you eating enough? I have a snack at 3-4 for the same reason..tired and hungry. I usually have a protein.

I consider huumuus to be a higher carb..like one half cup of beans..That is a Phase 4 food. I make it all of the time.

Cap: I will look for that book. Hope your Phase 1 is going well.

Well. it is spring and everyone keeps commenting on my new clothes..that I diligently collected by following sales and thrift shops. It is fun..I cannot believe that I am bold enough to wear bright colors at my age..but I am doing it!!!!!
    Hummus is chickpeas, tahini, spices and olive oil, right? So what time of day is okay to have the complex carb and fat at the same time? maybe if I just have a couple tbsp with celery as an afternoon snack, it won't be such an issue. I used to love making a vegee sandwich using hummus instead of butter/mayo, with sliced cucumbers, green peppers, tomatoes, carrots...and cilantro. It was incredible.
  • Quote: Awww, peanut butter and banana was one of my favorite comfort foods. I remember days when things were just, well you know, and in the evening I would have a PB and nana samich and all was well.
    Awe...when life was simple and sweet...that's cute!
  • Quote: So what did you have on your first splurge day? I still haven't had a 'planned' splurge day, i.e., going to my favorite Mexican restaurant. Have had a couple of accidental splurges, but I look forward to getting my chicken enchiladas....
    I'm still in P3 for another week and a 1/2...I did slip up and have some Easter candy...I need to refocus and not feel so damn good in my new body! That always gets me in trouble... I was so good on this diet until today... not happy with self. I'm going to remove candy from the house...for some reason all of a sudden I can't handle it!

Keep me posted when you have your planned day!
  • Capricious
    Thanks for the refocus! I tried the tosca Rena diet before ip with smaller losses, but I am not sure I committed as I did with ip last year.
    You are so right-I have lots to be positive and happy about! I wore a bikini recently, even after 2 c sections, and looked good. Cellulite is gone. Legs are rocks! Stomach is Flat!
    I am going to try to accept me as me now!
    Dh will prob need 6-8 weeks more of phase 1. That won't kill me, but he is traveling for work, so I think they begin on April 23...
    Thanks!
  • Shock-I saw 145.4 on the scale today! And that was after my breakfast shake!!
    Yay!
  • Pat, glad the surgery went well.

Another rainy/snowy day in Edmonton, Red dog and I did our walk in the rain, didn't bother us too much until we both got so wet and cold. Had a dog follow us around the off leash while its owner sat in the nice warm van and didn't give a crap... feel sorry for dogs who have stupid owners who don't care, that the dog needs exercise and companionship. Feel sad when I see things like that. The dog at least got its exercise today. Today I get my hair cut finally, haven't had it cut in about 6 months and it really needs it.
    This weekend is another Agility trial, we will be there by 6:30 am and home around 5:00 pm... so planning to pack some veggies and salad and a couple of shakes. Red dog loves these weekends. She gets more treats then normal, though tomorrow she will have not as much as she isn't feeling well today. chicken and rice today for her. She was very cute after our walk she came in the house got towel dried and then disappeared... was in laying across my bed with a TV remote under her paw... very funny. She also got to meet with the meter readers today so hopefully they won't be scared of her the next time I am not home.
    thank you all for contributing to this thread it helps me a lot. Hopefully I can someday figure it out and be as good as Maile...

Maile glad you like the tea, let me know when you need more.
  • Its a rainy day north of you in fort mc too! I had to force myself to go to my circuit class, but I am glad I did! I even went tanning-it makes me feel happier on dull days. I am still pretty pasty, but I like the vitamin d!
    it's nice to have a dog to keep you motivated!
  • Quote: I wore a bikini recently, even after 2 c sections, and looked good. Cellulite is gone. Legs are rocks! Stomach is Flat!
    I am going to try to accept me as me now!
    Wow....I am totally impressed! Good for you!!!!!
  • I do spend many many hours at the gym...I am just happy now that the old layer of fat hiding the muscles is gone!
  • mom2cs- Congrats on 145!!!! Wow! Loving the confidence! After all the hard work- you absolutely deserve it! I don't think taking pride in our accomplishments should be diminished by the fact we still have more we want to achieve. There always has to be something to keep us challenged, I think it's human nature to need adversity, it's how we grow and become stronger. But I'm sure you know that we can always up the intensity through lifting heavier, running harder or competing in a race or show. I am accepting of my strong size six body and want to focus on keeping my eating clean & structured and to keep challenging myself to increase the intensity in my classes.
    But just because I so loved the positivity of your post- what is everyone else's favorite parts of themselves now that they've reached maintenance??
    Mine is probably my belly. It is absolutely not perfect. But when I think of how it used to be when I weighed sixty pounds more it is one of my proudest accomplishments.
    Maile- It is wonderful that you are sharing your bright colors with the world. It brings the sense of spring and the happiness that is associated with it to everyone round you!
  • 2ride- it is pretty miserable outside today isn't it? Supposed to get this until Tuesday... ahh well... after no snow all winter I'm sure the moisture is well needed... could just use a little (warm) sunshine...
    SewMam-
    Hummus can be considered a couple different ways. I've seen it considered a protein as well as a complex carb. Sort of like how peanut butter is sometimes considered a protein, sometimes a fat. Fairly grey area there... All things considered though it's a whole food that is low in sugars... I've often had it as my mid afternoon snack with celery or carrots or peppers. Used it in the evenings as a spread on a whole wheat tortilla with roasted veggies.
    NewEnglander- Have you tried a Phase 3 breakfast that doesn't include toast? I have found toast to be a bit of a trigger for me. Makes me hungrier for more carbs- now! Perhaps when it is being combined with the banana which is also higher in carbs you're getting too much of an insulin spike? Maybe consider oatmeal?
    I enjoyed my second Phase 3 breakfast today I've had oatmeal as my carb with slivered almonds mixed in as my fat both days. Put apple in yesterday with a bit of cinnamon & nutmeg- was soooo good. Had the oddest craving for grapefruit this morning so forewent the apple in favor of it. But will definitely be back to the apple tomorrow! My eldest girl is home sick today so it gave me a bit more time in the morning to create but I miss being able to go to the gym.
    Hope everyone is having a great Friday!
  • capricious, I hope your girl is feeling better soon!

I'm not a fan of oatmeal or yogurt...I have two more bananas left and then will buy some lower carb fruits...Oh, grapefruit! I forgot all about that fruit and I really like them...I'm only on day four (or five) of P3 so I'm still figuring this out...I do like repetition but I think repeating lower carb options will be a better way for me to go. I just got back into working out yesterday...but other health problems cause complete exhaustion the next day...but I'll keep it up as best I can! (Need to get my HDL (good cholesterol) up.)

Oh, apples and cheddar cheese! Yum. Maybe with some nuts. Would the nuts be the carbs?