3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   The Maintainers Vol 5 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/255998-maintainers-vol-5-a.html)

Maile 04-14-2012 07:08 AM

New England: Nuts are a fat and have some protein. They are low carb. Good idea on getting rid of the triggers like candy out of the house. If I keep seeing them they get tempting.

SewMam: I agree with Cap..huumuus is a complex carb, also has fats and protein..afternoon snack would work or at dinner..like one half cup beans or lunch.

Cap: I hope your daughter is feeling better. It is hard to break up your gym routine. I am now trying to change my routine and add 3 days of strength training per week instead of two. Your oatmeal with almonds and apples sounds delicious.

Momto2cs: Bikini and flat stomach after 2 c sections..Wow! That is wonderful. Plus congrats on the 145. You are inspirational. I had 3 c sections and my stomach is not quite flat..but I am working on those muscles.

2Ride.. Good luck on your agility trial with Red Dog. I hope it is not raining today! Do you like your new haircut? Thanks for the offer on the tea!!! I am so enjoying it. It is a safe way to get the needed chocolate taste!

Sewmam 04-14-2012 07:14 AM

I'm going to have some hummus today as an afternoon snack. I made the cauliflower pizza crust again, adding some garam masala and soy powder and egg white instead of egg, etc., and baked it longer so it is more like a flat bread. So I will take a little piece of that, with hummus and some cucumber...heaven, I'm in heaven....

Maile 04-14-2012 07:21 AM

Sorry girls, but I need to vent. So I bought a metallic bronze jacket with ruffles. My sister and I also bought one for my mother in silver. By the way it cost $9.00 down from $85.00. I wore it to work and people loved it.
So my husband says, that looks flashy. I said, yes it was a little flashy.

The next time I wore it, my husband said, he thought it was a jacket that should be worn by a 20 year old. This hurt. I am obviously not a 20 year old.
I told him that I liked the jacket and would continue to wear it..not around him.
Here is what I think. My husband is still threatened to some degree by the new me. These new clothes are definitely a new style of dress. I do not think he can quite comprehend how happy and free I feel buying clothes now compared to years of hiding.
Now I do not believe that clothes are just for 20 year olds and cannot be worn by a 60 year old. Clothes are for everyone..any age. (within reason!)
My sister pointed out that I did not turn to food when I was hurt..true. I also have a strong sense of self. I have gone through comments about being thin and survived. I believe in the thin me. My husband is still getting used to this person..as I am. He did make sure to compliment me the next day!

Sewmam 04-14-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4293102)
Sorry girls, but I need to vent. So I bought a metallic bronze jacket with ruffles. My sister and I also bought one for my mother in silver. By the way it cost $9.00 down from $85.00. I wore it to work and people loved it.

The next time I wore it, my husband said, he thought it was a jacket that should be worn by a 20 year old. This hurt. I am obviously not a 20 year old.
I told him that I liked the jacket and would continue to wear it..not around him.
Here is what I think. My husband is still threatened to some degree by the new me. These new clothes are definitely a new style of dress. I do not think he can quite comprehend how happy and free I feel buying clothes now compared to years of hiding.
Now I do not believe that clothes are just for 20 year olds and cannot be worn by a 60 year old. Clothes are for everyone..any age. (within reason!)
My sister pointed out that I did not turn to food when I was hurt..true. I also have a strong sense of self. I have gone through comments about being thin and survived. I believe in the thin me. My husband is still getting used to this person..as I am. He did make sure to compliment me the next day!

I can completely identify with you! I have been going through boxes of old clothes and deciding which ones to keep or get rid of, and some patterns or styles were from 30 years ago, and I'm 59 now, so I was worried about looking nuts in them. I love color, texture, line, style and I'm not giving that up just because I'm 'older.' It's not like I'm wearing a mini-skirt or a shirt open to my navel !

I don't think people realize the power of their words sometimes... It's wonderful that you have enough sense of self to do things that make you happy. Maybe you'll start a new fashion trend!

New Englander 04-14-2012 08:36 AM

Maile...You're right I do need to get rid of the chocolate and candy in the house. My GIL (Grandmother In Law) bought me a lovely box of chocolates for XMas and I haven't been tempted at all to have any. It expires next month and all along I knew that's when I'd be in maintenance by then...so perfect! Since I haven't been tempted by that box I thought I could handle any chocolate! HA! I went to Target and CVS to buy Easter candy on sale...(what girl doesn't love a sale). I didn't buy (most of) it for me but planned on bringing it to family get togethers to give to my many nieces and nephews...DH has a large safe in our basement so I asked him if he has space for some chocolate...if he does I'll store some in there and start giving it away! I just love cadbury mini eggs and whoopers eggs...I bought tons of those!!! :)

New Englander 04-14-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Um...people don't realize the power of their words and my DH's words yesterday had a negative impact on me. I have a strong since of self BUT I'm ultra sensitive to some things...He's since apologized but I still hear what he said. You know yesterday was Friday the 13th...think our men were taken over by mean ppl for a little bit??? (Because he's never said anything mean to me...maybe he's a little insecure by the new me??) Who knows!

capricious 04-14-2012 11:08 AM

Maile- This is one of the larger problems we face in maintenance. As a thinner, more confident version of our previous selves one can almost count on garnering more attention. This can be hard for us to accept as we become more visible in a world in which we were darn close to invisible. The impact that it has on our significant others and even close friends and family... well... they can do the most damage because they are close and sometimes whether it is subconscious or unwitting on their part they are 'striking out' because they do indeed feel threatened. That you have reached a point where your own confidence is carrying you through and not driving you to make things 'comfortable' for dh again is inspiring. It is such a step of growth in ourselves when we do not change ourselves to make others happy. Your jacket sounds beautiful! I love metallic colors and with the embellishment of the ruffle it is sure to pop even more and you must wear it well for so many to have commented. Clothes are completely subjective- if you feel good in it, wear it!

New Englander- after Halloween they had those giant boxes of 125 bars mix of all my faves kit kat, coffee crisp, smarties for $5 reduced from $25. Honestly, it was one of the most difficult things walking by the bin. And I kept seeing it and thinking what a great deal it was but I knew, I just knew that if I brought it home I would have some. I can't buy things for 'the kids' or 'my husband' treat wise because there is some awful candy karma out there that ensures what goes around comes around. So... did your husband lock it up in the safe for you?

SewMam- I roasted some garlic yesterday and then thought, okay, now what am I going to do with all of this? Started looking up recipes and found the most tantalizing sounding hummus recipe (cumin & paprika included- two of my most adored spices). Then realized since I'm doing Phase 3 right now I can't have it. It was a sad moment. I, too, will be in heaven when I hit Phase 4 again and can start having hummus- that recipe will be made on the first day! And your idea of turning the cauliflower crust into crackers sounds like a great one- please let me know how they turn out.

I made Chicken Kebobs yesterday from a clean eating recipe that I found. Very simple. Marinate chicken, red onion & peppers in lemon juice and Mrs. Dash 2 hours- overnight. Throw it on the grill and serve. I used the Southwest Chipotle Mrs. Dash (I like a bit of zing) and the garlic & herb (to round it out). Yum!
Also made rainbow trout with olive oil, parsely, basil, rosemary, oregano, bit of lemon zest and a touch of salt & pepper. So tasty. Loving the fact that spring is almost here- use the grill so much more. And started all my seedlings- so looking forward to fresh veggies & herbs for the summer!

New Englander 04-14-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capricious (Post 4293305)
New Englander- after Halloween they had those giant boxes of 125 bars mix of all my faves kit kat, coffee crisp, smarties for $5 reduced from $25. Honestly, it was one of the most difficult things walking by the bin. And I kept seeing it and thinking what a great deal it was but I knew, I just knew that if I brought it home I would have some. I can't buy things for 'the kids' or 'my husband' treat wise because there is some awful candy karma out there that ensures what goes around comes around. So... did your husband lock it up in the safe for you?

I made Chicken Kebobs yesterday from a clean eating recipe that I found. Very simple. Marinate chicken, red onion & peppers in lemon juice and Mrs. Dash 2 hours- overnight. Throw it on the grill and serve. I used the Southwest Chipotle Mrs. Dash (I like a bit of zing) and the garlic & herb (to round it out). Yum!
Also made rainbow trout with olive oil, parsely, basil, rosemary, oregano, bit of lemon zest and a touch of salt & pepper. So tasty. Loving the fact that spring is almost here- use the grill so much more. And started all my seedlings- so looking forward to fresh veggies & herbs for the summer!

Yeah, I'm learning. DH hasn't put them in his safe yet...I only think he has room for ONE bag!!! I knew all along (back in November when I started IP) that I was going to buy my Cadbury mini eggs for when I hit maintenance...Once I get rid of this candy (by eating on my "fun" day and giving it away) I'll never stock up on it AGAIN!!!

I'm loving the grill too! Well, I'm loving that my DH is using it again! He grills me flank steak and then when I need it for a meal I slice it thinly and place it in a med/high pan and sear the outside and add a soy sauce mixture...just like beef teriaki...it's a nice break from all the tofu and eggs I've been eating...

Your chicken Kabobs sound delicious! And I love humus too. Will need to make some!

Weather here in southern NE is gorgeous! Windows are wide open...allergies are starting to kick my butt...oh well! :) Be well all!

capricious 04-14-2012 01:45 PM

Yum.
Now I want flank steak too! Nothing like steak off the grill... Will have to be tomorrow night's supper...

Sewmam 04-14-2012 02:27 PM

capricious...just want to thank you for your posts. they are always thoughtful and helpful. :)

New Englander 04-14-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capricious (Post 4293472)
Yum.
Now I want flank steak too! Nothing like steak off the grill... Will have to be tomorrow night's supper...

Love flank steak! My fav is having it with a peanut satay but that will have to wait ;)! And I agree with Sewmam about your posts...they are very thoughtful! Wish I had that in me... ;)

Sewmam 04-14-2012 08:22 PM

Oh boy....I had the hummus this afternoon. I made the cauliflower crust thing, but with some garam masala added to it, and tore off a piece, smeared a couple tbsp of the hummus on it and then slices of cucumber and fresh cilantro. Oh, how I've missed hummus. I still can't believe we get to eat like this, and I didn't even feel tempted to eat the whole container!

Today I also made a bread/cracker with the cauliflower rice, soy protein powder, egg whites, vanilla and 'sweet' spices like cinnamon, cloves, WF caramel dip and a little stevia and that was pretty darn good too. No cheese in this one, so it's really just protein and no fat, guilt free...

Momto2cs 04-14-2012 10:16 PM

Sew,am
I am watching to see how things work out
I stay very low carb, even in maintenance, if that's where I ever am.
Good luck! You have done amazing!! I recommend ip a lot, but u n wuv are examples of how well it can work!

patns 04-14-2012 11:43 PM

I love this thread. You all are so reflective and insightful.
Hubby is home from the hospital and doing incredibly well five days after such tough surgery. His only problem is that after escaping hospital food he is eating so much he is afraid he is going to bust out of his staples. he has never had weight issues and is down quite a bit after surgery.

Maile, so interesting on your vent about age appropriate clothes.
I had to smile when you said you and your sister bought the same jacket for your mother.

I am in my early 60s too and it amazes me that it takes me longer to get ready in the morning now because I am so particular about how things fit. It used to be just a matter of grabbing whatever I knew would go around me, now I am so particular with how things fit me.
I also find I am watching closely what other people my size and age range are wearing. Jackets do seem to be a safe garment to add a bit of glitz and colour. Your hubby was probably just surprised to see you stepping up the style after so many years of not doing so. It would help if guys came equipped with a muzzle mechanism to kick in when they feel they have to say the first thing that comes to mind though.

Mom2, did you phase off before or will this be your first venture into maintenance? I will always have to eat very low carb too if I ever get to maintenance.
I am cheering you on Sewmam, I so admire people who have persevered and lost large amounts of weight. This transition stage is so impotant. You will figure it all out.

darbs7 04-15-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

I agree that it can be hard for people to see us in "different" clothes because of the change. Your stats are amazing...what a great job. Do you have before and after pictures...I would love to see them. We started at similar weights, but I did not lose as much as you...I went from a size 18 to a 6 and then settled at an 8 and became happy with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by capricious (Post 4293472)
Yum.

Do you still stick with the same meats from phase 1? I have been having NY strips on the grill. How do you cook your flank steak on the grill? Keep up the good work. The chicken sounds good too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2cs (Post 4293924)
Sew,am
I am watching to see how things work out
I stay very low carb, even in maintenance, if that's where I ever am.
Good luck! You have done amazing!! I recommend ip a lot, but u n wuv are examples of how well it can work!

I agree....I am very low carb most of the time and when I am not....I pay the price...stomach bloats and I feel very yucky and get stomach pains.