3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   What do you do about communion/eucharist? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/255589-what-do-you-do-about-communion-eucharist.html)

ChaloJ 03-26-2012 02:20 AM

What do you do about communion/eucharist?

Sorry to be a newbie and pepper the board with so many questions. Let me know if I am making myself annoying!

It hit me during our communion time that the bread and the wine/juice were forbidden fruits for IP.

So, how do you handle it?

nikkib 03-26-2012 06:55 AM

You are just fine :) that small amount is not going to do anything. NO you are not annoying. I had the same question a few weeks ago. I would just take barely a sip of my already sip size cup and pretend I was eating the bread. Totally frustrating. It was almost nerve wracking honestly!! I feel much better spiritually now knowing I am not going to set myself back from that little amount. I do take the gluten free wafer tho instead of the actual bread knowing how bad grain makes me feel.

Endless Dieter 03-26-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkib (Post 4267458)
You are just fine :) that small amount is not going to do anything. NO you are not annoying. I had the same question a few weeks ago. I would just take barely a sip of my already sip size cup and pretend I was eating the bread. Totally frustrating. It was almost nerve wracking honestly!! I feel much better spiritually now knowing I am not going to set myself back from that little amount. I do take the gluten free wafer tho instead of the actual bread knowing how bad grain makes me feel.

my faith is part of me and thank God for my success in everything in life... So communion is very important and i would never forego..

everyone have great OP day...

Chloe222 03-26-2012 08:36 AM

I also take it. It's too important (to me) to miss for the sake of a diet. Hasn't seemed to hurt me (and its such a tiny amount.)

serendipityberry 03-26-2012 11:11 AM

This has gone through my mind as well....but I take it!

ChubbyCherub 03-26-2012 12:24 PM

It really depends on the church, but in the Episcopal church, you can bow your head and cross your arms over your chest, and receive a "blessing" rather than the eucharist. Would this be an option for you?

snolover 03-26-2012 08:26 PM

I have communion every Sunday. No problem!

geminezmarie 03-27-2012 12:45 PM

I take it as well without a second thought!!

But, if it helps technically, that small amount of sugars released in your system by the wine/grape fruit juice and in the bread/wafer-like cracker is not enough to replenish your glycogen stores or push you out of ketosis completely. My coach said the worse case scenario is that it'd stop my body from using its fat stores as energy for about 3 hours :-)

patns 03-27-2012 12:53 PM

This question has come up before. The amount is so tiny and the observation is so important to many people I don't know why it would ever be a problem.

Marionm 03-27-2012 08:49 PM

Yeah, I received Communion through my whole journey. I don't think I could have succeeded without it and it never slowed my weight loss.

usmcvet 04-02-2012 03:41 PM

Take the Body of Christ. Skip the wine =)

navydocmom 04-02-2012 04:13 PM

I had the same question. I asked my coach and she said since it is such a minimal amount, it is okay to take.

Nick Z 05-13-2015 03:15 PM

I needed some help with the communion issue, being a deacon in the Eastern Orthodox Church, I normally comsume the chalice, which will be about 4-6oz if that of wine mixed with water and body (Bread), which I can dillute even more with water, if I want to. When I mentioned this to the clinic they were OK, we will check into it and now its a big issue, because they can not guarntee the weight loss. I do not look at it as bread and wine, I look at it as the body and blood of Christ. Anyone have similar issues or know if this is gonna cause major weight loss issues. Thanks

JJTx 05-13-2015 03:18 PM

Is there another deacon, priest, or a communion server who could consume it in your place? Or does your tradition allow it to be returned to the ground instead of consumed?

Just a couple of thoughts, I don't know if either are possible for you.