3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Microwave disc chip maker (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/254837-microwave-disc-chip-maker.html)

GramEGail 03-14-2012 04:08 PM

Microwave disc chip maker

This past weekend I went to a Pampered Chef party and they have this disc thing that goes in the mircowave and makes chips. They did potato and everyone was raving about them so I ordered to make the zuchinni chips. Of course, today I go into Bed, Bath and Beyond and they have it along with a slicer which is much cheaper. But decided to wait for the Pampered Chef one - can't wait to try vegetables on it! Has anyone used this yet?

Cadu 03-14-2012 06:31 PM

I havent tried it but it got my attention. I am awaitng to hear the reviews lol :-)

navydocmom 03-15-2012 11:45 AM

Chip maker??? That sounds great! I'm going to head to Bed Bath & Beyond maybe tomorrow. I have some zuchinni in the fridge ready to go....I'll let you know they turn out. Thanks for the info :)

Shel50 03-15-2012 12:10 PM

Looking forward to the reviews! Let us know how it works out - I'd like to try the Kale Chips using this!

kateleestar 03-15-2012 12:32 PM

I'm not on IP, but... I make chips in the micorwave all the time, but I don't use a chip maker... I use this: http://www.food.com/recipe/uncle-bil...to-chips-47195

They are awesome. I use my mandolin, a little pam, and then sprinkle them with kosher salt and garlic powder.. sometimes a little cumin or chili powder. TASTY. :D

MustangMolly 03-15-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GramEGail (Post 4253698)
This past weekend I went to a Pampered Chef party and they have this disc thing that goes in the mircowave and makes chips. They did potato and everyone was raving about them so I ordered to make the zuchinni chips. Of course, today I go into Bed, Bath and Beyond and they have it along with a slicer which is much cheaper. But decided to wait for the Pampered Chef one - can't wait to try vegetables on it! Has anyone used this yet?

What is the one at Bed Bath and Beyond called? I don't have a store near me and thought I may try to find it on their website.

patns 03-15-2012 09:38 PM

I think I have a coupon from BB&B. I'll check that out.

GramEGail 03-15-2012 10:57 PM

Googled chip maker on the site and it is Mastrad TopChips Chips maker $19.99. Can't wait for my Pampered Chef one to come in - dying to make zuchinni chips, maybe turnip chips, and thanks for the suggestion on the Kale Chips! At the party they said you could even make banana chips on it, so we will see!

SaraBean 03-15-2012 11:15 PM

Great idea with the chip maker!!!!! I am excited to pick one up :)

DebbeeL 03-15-2012 11:16 PM

I just ordered one from PC too.. I can't wait for it to come in...

gramadel 03-16-2012 03:36 PM

PC chip maker

I have the Pampered Chef chip maker and the potato and banana chips are amazing. I'm going to try the zucchini - sounds interesting!

artflunky 03-16-2012 08:26 PM

limited

I picked one up today and it has several draw backs. First, the mandolin is VERY small. I was looking to make turnip chips and it would have been tough. Also, they specifically state in the pamphlet what are acceptable things to cook. Turnips and zucchini were not included. Not sure if that matters or they are just covering themselves if the results are sub par.

GramEGail 03-16-2012 09:47 PM

Artflunky, are you going to try them or just bring it back?

Gramadel, please let us know how they turn out! I am anxious to hear since it will be almost 2 weeks before the Pampered Chef one comes in....I did not order the slicer from Pampered Chef. Did you have the simple slicer? If so, let me know if I should order it.

artflunky 03-18-2012 10:00 PM

I was going to bring it back but just saw a post on another site that someone used it for zucchini and turnip and it made it really crisp which I haven't been able to achieve in the oven. I used a coupon so it only cost about $16.oo. I think I'll check it out. I'll let you know how it works!

patns 03-18-2012 10:05 PM

I couldn't find it at BB&B here in canada and they didn't know what I was talking about. I'll have to ask around if anyone is having a PC party.

jilian61 03-18-2012 10:25 PM

I don't have the chip maker - but I do use the recipe something provided a link to. I use the microwave bacon pan. I did it with both turnip and zucchini and they both turned out good. Nice that they were crisp on both sides without being too burnt. That was always my problem when I tried to do it in the oven. I was so happy to have something like that - especially with summer coming and not wanting to heat up the oven.

artflunky 03-19-2012 08:15 PM

OK. I made both turnip and zucchini chips today. They were so much better than the oven. Cooked evenly without the burnt edges and chewy middle. I sprayed them with olive oil and sprinkled with salt before cooking. Turnip took about 6 minutes and zucchini about 7. The mandolin is small, worked fine for the zucchini but a little harder with the turnip. Worth $16.00! Im so desperate for new ways to eat these veggies.

GramEGail 03-19-2012 10:24 PM

Thanks Artflunky! Can't wait for mine to come in!!!

Cadu 03-20-2012 07:20 AM

Thanks for this idea. I too am looking for new ways to eat the veggies. I have not had great success making the fries in the oven, I can never get them crisp. I bought the chip maker from amazon. (it got pretty good reviews) I am very excited to try it.

I am also excited to make real potato chips for my family as they will be so much healthier then the store bought chips.

shiipa 03-20-2012 03:13 PM

So I read this and had nothing better to do than to run (well, I drove :D) to BB&B to buy one of these. I started with zucchini sea salt/paprika. Delicious!
I wonder what I would need to store them in to keep crunchy as a to go snack for say, the next day? Any ideas?

Busymomx4 03-20-2012 03:19 PM

whhaaaaa i can't find anywhere here where they sell them :( I really don't want to have to pay shipping from for this

shiipa 03-20-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busymomx4 (Post 4261030)
whhaaaaa i can't find anywhere here where they sell them :( I really don't want to have to pay shipping from for this

Well, if there is a book you wanted to read you could buy it together from amazon.com and get free shipping. If I wasn't so impatient, I would've done that. It's about $6 more from BB&B.

Sewmam 03-20-2012 07:06 PM

I get alot of stuff from Amazon with supersaver shipping for orders over $25. in my area, I frequently can not find what I want, or I'm so tired I can't shop for it, so this really comes in handy...

shiipa 03-20-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewmam (Post 4261279)
I get alot of stuff from Amazon with supersaver shipping for orders over $25. in my area, I frequently can not find what I want, or I'm so tired I can't shop for it, so this really comes in handy...

Same here. It requires a 30 min. drive to the city to get things. Not a big deal this week because I'm not working but otherwise, Amazon is the way to go.

UPDATE or review of the product: when heated, the silicone expands and the ring, which is inserted for stability, comes out.

GramEGail 03-20-2012 10:25 PM

Has anyone tried the Kale chips with this microwave chip disc?

Chloe222 03-21-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GramEGail (Post 4261527)
Has anyone tried the Kale chips with this microwave chip disc?

I bought an inexpensive one ($6.99) this afternoon and made some zucchini chips. The plastic base started to melt although the top, the vegetable holder (holds 24 slices upright) was OK. The cheap little mandolin slicer that comes with it slices them so thin that in 4 minutes (vs the 5 min on their instructions), my very thin zucchinni chips were all brown. HOwever they didn't taste bad. I sprayed them w/ olive oil and sprinkled with real (IP) salt. Decided to cut them myself, w/o mandolin, and make them quite a bit thicker, then sprayed, salted and used some garlic powder. 4 minutes later they were looking fine, and were tasty. However, it only makes 24 chips, so you need to make a couple of batches.

Think I'm going to order the one from Pampered Chef. These are a really good idea.

carolirish 03-22-2012 04:00 AM

You could use a potato peeler to make very thin slices of veg. I sometimes use my peeler with cheese for extra thin slices. I'm gonna try the uncle bills recipe at the weekend.

Busymomx4 03-23-2012 11:51 AM

I got one :) They sell them at pampered chef and contacted the representative in my area and she had one that she had used a few times but sold it to me for the regular price but no shipping and no tax. I also got the simple slicer which apparently works fabulously (checked reviews) which I will use for a lot of stuff (3 level of thickness)...I'm going to try it this week-end with turnips (love turnip fries) and the kids are wanting to try with apples.

Do you usually put oil on your chips like you would before putting them in the oven? I have to go back to the beginning of this thread and see.

shiipa 03-23-2012 03:23 PM

BE CAREFUL!
I made some squash chips and had flames in the microwave. Yes, fire!!! I assume it was caused by the paprika.

GramEGail 03-23-2012 05:24 PM

Yay! FINALLY got my pampered chef disc chip maker and just made my first batch of Zuchinni chips in the microwave. They were very good but I will probably need some practice since I don't have the mandolin so they were all different sizes. They came out better than when I do them in the over for sure! Wish I had some Kale - gonna try Kale chips tomorrow.

Nads 03-23-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GramEGail (Post 4265180)
Yay! FINALLY got my pampered chef disc chip maker and just made my first batch of Zuchinni chips in the microwave. They were very good but I will probably need some practice since I don't have the mandolin so they were all different sizes. They came out better than when I do them in the over for sure! Wish I had some Kale - gonna try Kale chips tomorrow.

I also have the pampered chef disc. Please let us know how the kale chips turn out.

Cadu 03-24-2012 08:03 AM

Since I already have a mandolin I bought the Mastad from amazon that comes with 2 trays.
http://www.amazon.com/Mastrad-A64501...2590702&sr=1-1

I made the zucini chips on both trays. They took about 8 mins but tasted very close to potato chips. They did shrink up allot though. I will def be using this again. I think I will try the turnip chips today. thanks for this idea. It makes getting in the veg a little easy when I can crunch them.

JessicaR 03-24-2012 11:12 AM

This sounds great. I'm definitely getting one when I get paid on Friday.