Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #301  
reboot 10/14/2014

S/C/G: 162.7/149.2/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEIslandGirl View Post
For those that started on IP and then switched to Alternatives - have you noticed any change in your rate of weight loss? I would pay the extra to keep my weight loss moving.
My weight loss has been the same But I am also not on strictly alternatives. I switch back and forth between IP packets and alternatives and also try to buy the alternatives that are the EXACT same. Nashua's caramel nut bar and chocolate soy nuts are exactly the same.... even have the same packaging! and are much cheaper!!!

The only thing I have noticed when using other alternatives (aka the protidiet oatmeal) is that I feel hungry.... Does anyone else experience that?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #302  

S/C/G: 198/tracker/160

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsuzi1 View Post
I tried getting a user name and password from Idealtogo but repeated attempts and messages have gone unanswered. That is the only site I've heard others mention to order IP. Will your local clinic let you buy for more than 1 week and call in your weight between times? Mine will but only ordering a maximum of 2 weeks at a time.
Sorry to butt in, I read your threads even though I'm not doing IP, for recipe ideas. I haven't ordered from them, but I found this site when trying to find something similar to IP Peanut Puffs. buyproteinfood.com
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #303  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Hi MaMaZu,

A few weeks ago, someone (sorry, can't remember who) talked about collagen on one of the Daily Chats. Said she researched a lot and really like Great Lakes. I ordered a couple cans and have started adding it to my shakes. Amazon was out, so I just Googled Great Lakes collagen and ordered from their site.

Molly
If anyone does recall that discussion and could bump it that would be great. I just did a tiny search and came up with this:

Do Collagen Supplements Work?
As has been mentioned already, the benefits of collagen supplements is a controversial subject. Many studies have claimed that they fail to produce the desired results, especially when used for counteracting the effects of aging on skin. This is probably because collagen molecules are so large with complex molecular structure, that they cannot be absorbed by our skin. Even if they are absorbed, problems arise in their assimilation with the natural collagen produced by our body.

Therefore, many people are of the opinion that skin care products that contain collagen or collagen supplements are not very effective to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Instead, certain substances like functional keratin and nano-lipobelle can help to stimulate collagen production. Hence such substances have shown more efficacy in reducing wrinkles and fine lines as compared to collagen supplements.

However, people with arthritis and degenerative arthritis have reported to have benefited from collagen supplements. A significant reduction in joint pain and increase in mobility have been experienced by many individuals after taking collagen supplements. These supplements are found to be effective in reducing joint inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Another important benefit of collagen supplements is that they can strengthen the blood vessels and thereby improve circulation. Some studies carried out in animals have pointed out that collagen supplements can be useful in the treatment of osteoporosis as well.

For retaining youthful look and vigor, one should maintain a healthy eating habit. Regular exercises can play a significant role in providing relief in age-related diseases like arthritis. Equally important is to drink plenty of water and consume a balanced diet that includes lots of minerals, antioxidants and vitamins. Vitamin C has the ability to boost the natural production of collagen. Similarly, lysine, an essential amino acid can also help in this regard.

So, basically there is unanimous opinion regarding the utility of collagen supplements. Do they work only for geriatric illnesses or are they equally effective in skin care? Most of the experts are of the opinion that collagen supplements for skin are not effective. Rather the anti-aging skin care products that contain certain natural substances like keratin can prove more beneficial, as they stimulate the body's natural production of collagen.

However, for some age-related diseases like arthritis, osteoarthritis, they can be helpful in alleviating the symptoms. But as they are manufactured from the tissues of cows, pigs and chicken, and can also contain yeast, shellfish, wheat, gluten, soy etc., adequate care should be taken by people having allergies to these food products. So, before taking any kind of supplements, always consult an expert health care practitioner to know the various aspects like benefits, side effects, as well as how to improve their functions.
By Chandramita Bora
Last Updated: 2/17/2012
Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #304  

S/C/G: 187.6/177/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaZu View Post
I get mine at Trader Joe's. I know some here have talked about Walmart.
Thanks for the info! Would you mind sharing which ones you buy at trader joes- brand/names etc.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #305  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEIslandGirl View Post
I am with you Wingnutandme, my coach is a 3 hour drive, each way. I have been on program for 6 weeks now with only 1 weight in and doing great without that support. I get my support from this site. I am going to start purchasing Alternatives and mix in with what I have left of my IP products (have about a 2 week supply of IP on hand). The people on this site are my support.
Did you have to drive to another province to go to a clinic?

Pat
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #306  

S/C/G: 172.5/129/128

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Did you have to drive to another province to go to a clinic?

Pat
yes, I go to Nova Scotia (I live on PEI). There is a place on PEI now but you have to make an appointment and pay $30. just to buy the food. If I am really stuck I can go to New Brunswick (about 1.5 hours away), but I normally travel to NS monthly for work. Do you order alternatives in Canada?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #307  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Yes I order from proteinwell.

I'm coming to the end of phase 1 and won't need to order much anymore.

I am from Nova Scotia. My daughter graduated from UPEI. When you said you were driving an hour and a half I knew you would have to be going off the island!

Pat
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #308  

S/C/G: 172.5/129/128

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Yes I order from proteinwell.

I'm coming to the end of phase 1 and won't need to order much anymore.

I am from Nova Scotia. My daughter graduated from UPEI. When you said you were driving an hour and a half I knew you would have to be going off the island!

Pat
Small world isn't it...you are lucky to be close to the end. How long did it take you to get to goal?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #309  

S/C/G: 177/147/125

Height: 4'11"

I have a question ? I need to get a multi-vitamin to replace my IP ones.. does anyone have a recommendation on a brand that works and is close to the IP ones ~thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #310  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilone1357 View Post
I have a question ? I need to get a multi-vitamin to replace my IP ones.. does anyone have a recommendation on a brand that works and is close to the IP ones ~thanks
I just take the Women's One a Day. I haven't ever taken the IP supplements. I've always used ones I can get at Walmart, Target or Walgreens.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #311  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilone1357 View Post
I just take ones from Walmart too or CVS if I can get them on sale
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #312  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

PS: I did read something interesting about the supplements though. They said that the IP ones come from Canada where the ingredients are regulated, which is why they suggest & push the IP ones. Whereas in America, they're not regulated like up there.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #313  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up 2nd WI today...

Down 3 lbs. And I know I'm past the lost water weight stage now, so that's Bye-bye 3 lbs of fat.

It's interesting to use these Omron full body composition scales... it is rewarding even at this early stage, seeing those numbers progress into a more desirable zone. Some of the changes were miniscule... but everything's moving in the right direction, and that is motivating.

Oh... I also received my new order from lowcarbgrocery.com this morning, including the cappuccino protein drink. Had it for breakfast, and it is GOOD. Maybe not quite as good as the IP one... but it is tasty and definitely a workable substitute for a cappuccino craving. It's a product from ChocoRite. I actually used the scoop from my other protein powder, which is smaller - so I only had 58% of what would normally be a full serving. That resulted in the following nutritional breakdown: Calories: 90 Fat 1.74g Carbs 4.6 g Fibre 2.9g Sugars 0 and Protein 14g. I was thinking I could throw in some egg white next time, and raise the protein level slightly.

Last edited by evepet; 04-11-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #314  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny321 View Post
Sorry to butt in, I read your threads even though I'm not doing IP, for recipe ideas. I haven't ordered from them, but I found this site when trying to find something similar to IP Peanut Puffs. buyproteinfood.com
Thank you Finny. Feel free to "butt in" anytime
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #315  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

Default HealthSmart Hot Chocolate (Aspartame Free)

I have to applaud another alternative product i've been addicted to this past week. The HealthSmart Classic Hot Chocolate - Aspartame Free Version. It's very rich and creamy! And filling! Only 80 calories, 1g fat, 3 carbs, 1g fiber and 2g sugar. Yum!
Closed Thread